The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2020-21

canuck2xtreme

Maple Leafs have made their first wave of UFA offers. If all goes well, we could really turn a corner this upcoming season! :gocan:

Good luck to all GMs on getting their targets! Unless they're my targets, then good luck in the bidding war! :lol:

The Toronto tank mode has officially ended and we are now trying to take advantage of our young cheap contracts over the next couple seasons. We feel with our young players/prospects/upcoming draft picks, we are set up for long term success here in Toronto. Only question is, is how long until we actually turn the corner, and our hopes are next season, and we are hoping free agency helps us get there!

excited ice hockey GIF by NHL

On 7/28/2021 at 2:03 AM, Crabby said:

Maple Leafs place Marus Johansson on unconditional waivers for purpose of a buy out.

Maple Leafs call up Quinton Byfield from the Cape Breton Miners. @canuck2xtreme

We wish him well with his next team. We are looking to make a splash in free agency and could use the extra cap space to try and help us turn the corner in our rebuild. We feel with some of our up and coming players and about $30M in cap space we could really take advantage of our current situation as long as it doesn't hurt our future. 

Assuming he's cleared Maple Leafs buy out Marcus Johannson's contract @canuck2xtreme

9 hours ago, Crabby said:

Assuming he's cleared Maple Leafs buy out Marcus Johannson's contract @canuck2xtreme

40 minutes ago, canuck2xtreme said:

WAIVERS: The Buffalo Sabres have claimed Marcus Johansson from the Toronto Maple Leafs via waivers.

On pace for 32 points in a regular season... 

Toronto being Toronto again ?Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

13 minutes ago, greensman said:

On pace for 32 points in a regular season... 

Toronto being Toronto again ?Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

In fairness.. Johansson produced 7 more fantasy points then Jake Virtanen did last season at 82..  definitely rich for a 4m contract.

9 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

In fairness.. Johansson produced 7 more fantasy points then Jake Virtanen did last season at 82..  definitely rich for a 4m contract.

In fairness, Virtanen is a piece of garbage on pace for 10.7 points on a regular season... 

32 points is a pretty darn good hockey player.. as well as the 6th highest scorer on that team.   

Edited by greensman

3 minutes ago, greensman said:

In fairness, Virtanen is a piece of garbage on pace for 10.7 points on a regular season... 

32 points is a pretty darn good hockey player.  

Yes it is. Cap vs fantasy production is what I am basing that assessment off. The fact Jake nearly matched his production is yikes. Jake played 38 games Johansson 36 so similar game totals. 

He's definitely a solid player but his fantasy production is a bit underwhelming for his cap hit is all I'm saying. I would have waived him as well to be honest lol. 

4 minutes ago, greensman said:

32 points is a pretty darn good hockey player.. as well as the 5th highest scorer on that team.   

And we're hoping that he gets scooped up by a good team. His arm should be fully healed and I think he'll be a good piece in our top nine! Outside of last year he's put up at least a 40pt pace every year. $4 million is a decent price should he get there and for only two seasons doesn't add too much risk for us :)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, lethunder said:

And we're hoping that he gets scooped up by a good team. His arm should be fully healed and I think he'll be a good piece in our top nine! Outside of last year he's put up at least a 40pt pace every year. $4 million is a decent price should he get there and for only two seasons doesn't add too much risk for us :)

Definitely some room for upside. A solid bet if you have confidence in the player and can afford his cap hit. I guess it really depends where you are at what you want to do. There is no wrong decision really.

14 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Yes it is. Cap vs fantasy production is what I am basing that assessment off. The fact Jake nearly matched his production is yikes. Jake played 38 games Johansson 36 so similar game totals. 

He's definitely a solid player but his fantasy production is a bit underwhelming for his cap hit is all I'm saying. I would have waived him as well to be honest lol. 

I am just having a chuckle and poking fun, but here’s how my strategy behind that works, having fair amount of experience turning bottom feeders into playoff teams so far... 

if I were a bottom three team I would be into just generally having a player, especially with over 23.5m mil in cap space including Johansson. After his move to the wild, Johansson is probably top 9 in their current lineup... let your asset reset it’s value?!

if I wanted to get rid of a player, I would realize that a buyout of said player would cost me 1.3 million per season for the next two years. 

one would then advertise that such player were available (a team was obviously willing to take him at 4mil)... then advertise player available with 1mil salary retained, saving my team 300k a year and bringing home an asset. I did not see these posts... 

Bottom tier teams need to make 100% that they get assets for everything that has value, as they cannot afford steps backwards. There’s no way that a GM can’t get at least a draft pick back on Marcus Johansson. 

so I’m half havin fun bein chippy and laughing at Toronto (which I always will, sorry Crabs), because it’s Toronto... but I’m also half ‘wtf is that guy doin!!’:lol:

Edited by greensman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, greensman said:

I am just having a chuckle and poking fun, but here’s how my strategy behind that works, having fair amount of experience turning bottom feeders into playoff teams so far... 

if I were a bottom three team I would be into just generally having a player, especially with over 23.5m mil in cap space including Johansson. 

if I wanted to get rid of a player, I would realize that a buyout of said player would cost me 1.3 million per season for the next two years. 

one would then advertise that such player were available (a team was obviously willing to take him at 4mil)... then advertise player available with 1mil salary retained, saving my team 300k a year and bringing home an asset. I did not see these posts... 

Bottom tier teams need to make 100% that they get assets for everything that has value, as they cannot afford steps backwards. There’s no way that a GM can’t get at least a draft pick back on Marcus Johansson. 

so I’m half havin fun bein chippy and laughing at Toronto (which I always will, sorry Crabs), because it’s Toronto... but I’m also half ‘wtf is that guy doin!!’:lol:

You gotta have fun! :D Thats what this is all about. I feel bad Crabby got stuck with the maple laughs :lol::P

He's probably the best guy for the job tho! he can take it light hearted :)

Edited by Rush17