The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Gino Ojdick be in the Ring of Honour?

Rate this topic

cuporbust

Should Gino be in the ring of honour?  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, rawkdrummer said:

We all love Gino but...

No to number retired and No to ring of honour.

For example, Jack Mac was feared in his day as well and took good care of the boys, difference here is different eras IMO.

Jack played 167 games for the Canucks.  Gino played 444 games and had 2127 PIM and a Cup final run.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, rawkdrummer said:

and your point is to argue?

how many years was Jack Mac in the organization

The point should be obvious as it is evident in the statistics provided.  Do you get your back up like this any time someone disagrees with a point?

Jack played the equivalent of two seasons of hockey.  Who is getting ROH for that?  Especially with no team accomplishments?

Go ahead and make a case for his assistant coaching if you want (it wasn't in your post that I replied to) but you're opening a can of worms for tons of people to get in if you do.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, Squamfan said:

it was the leafs during 1994, they told him stop going after gilmore

And thing is Odjick was used sparingly in the 94 run, Antoski (a better skater) was given most of the ice-time with Hunter and McIntyre...and it was Hunter who was doing most of the running too - he made I think it was Bob Rouse or someone go mental at one point.   And yes we did give Gilmour a tough time. 

Personally I voted yes for the ROH, no for the number retirement (although 29 would have to be worn in a special way for me not to think of Gino instead when I see it) and wouldn’t mind seeing quite a few others get the nod too.  Fans used to love their enforcers, but not many got their name chanted.  Haaarrrollld...is in.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, wildcam said:

I agree with your post...There were so many fan favourites,,,Big Harold was for sure #1, he did it all and was a decent player #3 D man would do it all and logged big minutes...

Snespts is a perfect example of guy that is and should be in the ROH.   I like a lot of what Smithers Joe and Biestra have to say about the older players when I was too young to pay attention.   Boudrais sounds like a guy that should be there too, Tiger was also a fan favourite and do remember that.   Read somewhere that Quin was even into retiring his number - that’s a lot of impact in a five year stint.   Babych is a guy I’d like to see in personally, was here for almost a decade, always stepped it up come playoff time,  was an alternate C, and HHOF worthy moustache.  Leagues strongest man, lives in Vancouver and is a real life hero.  

Ronning also deserves some consideration too, again for his playoff heroics and until QHs the best little guy we’ve ever had.   Lumme too.   Hard to stop...Butcher.   There are a lot of quality heart and soul types and quite a few very good players that deserve consideration for sure.   Enforcers one day will be looked back on as “did guys really used to do that?” by future generations, adding Tiger and Odjick would be a huge honour not just for them, but for the guys that used to have to toughest jobs in pro sports. 

• Vintage 1

15 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Jack played 167 games for the Canucks.  Gino played 444 games and had 2127 PIM and a Cup final run.

Jack was also with organization from 1984 to 2007 after his playing career.

Definitely a no to number retirement for Gino. It's a no for me for ring of honor as well. As much as liked what he brought as an enforcer I don't see it as enough of a reason for ring of honor. I obviously feel bad for him given his health issues and get the sentimentality as a result. But I think RoH and number retirement should be reserved for accomplishments and dedication to the team rather than sentimentality. Honor him with a Gino night.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Jack was also with organization from 1984 to 2007 after his playing career.

Definitely a no to number retirement for Gino. It's a no for me for ring of honor as well. As much as liked what he brought as an enforcer I don't see it as enough of a reason for ring of honor. I obviously feel bad for him given his health issues and get the sentimentality as a result. But I think RoH and number retirement should be reserved for accomplishments and dedication to the team rather than sentimentality. Honor him with a Gino night.

Virtually nobody is saying Gino's # should be retired.  I think he's damn near the perfect candidate for the ROH though.  All that would be nice if he was up over the 600 or 700 game club like most of the ROH guys.  I think he and Tiger Williams were a cut above the typical team enforcer in the way they captured the heart of the city.  Every city liked their enforcers but those two guys rose to another level.

You say the ROH should be for accomplishments and dedication to the team rather than sentimentality.  My case for Gino is based largely on that, accomplishments and dedication to the team.  Top 20 in career NHL PIMs, primarily with Vancouver, plus his name on the Campbell Bowl.  Who was more dedicated to the team than Gino?  But opinions will differ, what can you do.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

The point should be obvious as it is evident in the statistics provided.  Do you get your back up like this any time someone disagrees with a point?

Jack played the equivalent of two seasons of hockey.  Who is getting ROH for that?  Especially with no team accomplishments?

Go ahead and make a case for his assistant coaching if you want (it wasn't in your post that I replied to) but you're opening a can of worms for tons of people to get in if you do.

Putting Gino in would also open a can of worms wouldn't it? There's a better case for Rota (a hometown boy) in than Gino, who also had a cup run. He was also with the organization after retirement until 1990 and spent 94-96 as a commentator with Jim Robson for Canucks games.

Just now, Baggins said:

Putting Gino in would also open a can of worms wouldn't it? There's a better case for Rota (a hometown boy) in than Gino, who also had a cup run. He was also with the organization after retirement until 1990 and spent 94-96 as a commentator with Jim Robson for Canucks games.

I don't think so.  The classic enforcer doesn't even exist anymore so how would we induct a ton of them going forward?  Gino and Tiger.  Draw the line there.

Rota I have a lot of respect for, and he would be one of the guys to certainly talk about but I would have him below the ROH bar for the floodgates reasons you mention.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Virtually nobody is saying Gino's # should be retired.  I think he's damn near the perfect candidate for the ROH though.  All that would be nice if he was up over the 600 or 700 game club like most of the ROH guys.  I think he and Tiger Williams were a cut above the typical team enforcer in the way they captured the heart of the city.  Every city liked their enforcers but those two guys rose to another level.

You say the ROH should be for accomplishments and dedication to the team rather than sentimentality.  My case for Gino is based largely on that, accomplishments and dedication to the team.  Top 20 in career NHL PIMs, primarily with Vancouver, plus his name on the Campbell Bowl.  Who was more dedicated to the team than Gino?  But opinions will differ, what can you do.

I just don't see the accomplishment factor you do. I viewed Brashear as much better for the role of enforcer. A true heavyweight, great fighter, and better hockey player. As entertaining as Gino was, like trying to take on an entire bench, there really wasn't much special about him as a player. You can expound your love for him as much as you want but you won't convince me he's deserving of the RoH as I see others who would be more deserving from achievements and dedication to the team. Btw, I'd even put Tiger ahead of Gino based purely on the difference in actual hockey skill. As I said, putting Gino up there would open a can of worms. The line has to be somewhere.

Just now, Baggins said:

I just don't see the accomplishment factor you do. I viewed Brashear as much better for the role of enforcer. A true heavyweight, great fighter, and better hockey player. As entertaining as Gino was, like trying to take on an entire bench, there really wasn't much special about him as a player. You can expound your love for him as much as you want but you won't convince me he's deserving of the RoH as I see others who would be more deserving from achievements and dedication to the team. Btw, I'd even put Tiger ahead of Gino based purely on the difference in actual hockey skill. As I said, putting Gino up there would open a can of worms. The line has to be somewhere.

Brashear was a good fighter and a credit to the lineup.  But I have as many memories of him backpedaling away to the referees and declining fights as I do of him demolishing people.  Gino and Tiger were like injured mountain lions fighting for their lives and that captured the hearts of the fans in the way that Brashear's pragmatic decision making never did or could.

Anyway, I demonstrated where I'd draw the line to avoid opening cans of worms.  People will do it differently.

• Vintage 1

On 11/14/2020 at 7:25 PM, King Heffy said:

ROH for me is for guys who were great in the community and fan favourites.  Definite yes for me.  Jersey retirements should go to long-term captains and HOF type guys who had their best years here.  Add in the unofficially retired numbers for more tragic reasons, which definitely need to be respected.

Yup.

I tend to view RoH as the fan version of sweater/number retirement. 

regards,  G.

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

I agree. This being said, as I mentioned in my post, I view RoH more as a fan popularity type of thing, so like a lot of fan based awards, the measuring stick tends to be a bit skewed from recipient to recipient, and era to era. As with Williams, Odjick played a key role on the team (more as a physical presence than in point production), and without him perhaps the team doesn't have the same level of success which they enjoyed in the 90s.

I'd definitely be okay seeing Williams on the RoH, but I also believe that there is still a lot of room there for a guy like Gino.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Brashear had one season where he was a one man wrecking crew, after that maybe he couldn’t find as many interested parties but it did seem like he wasn’t as interested in the role at times.   Nobody chanted his name either.   Gino would do anything for his teammates, same with Tiger to the point of being beyond reproach.   I liked Brashear too, was a good guy to have around - might be the best fighter we’ve ever had - but his game wasn’t inspiring the same way. 

On 11/15/2020 at 5:05 PM, Bitter Melon said:

No issues with him going in the ROH, but jersey retirement is an absolute no. 

As an aside I will say it really shows how sad this team has been with 50 years and no cup, only 3 finals appearances and the fanbase feels this constant need to add players to some sort of accolade club just to have something to celebrate and pretend we have a much more storied history than actually exists.

Not that at all for me.

And you don't need to have a cup to have a storied history.  Those are bandwagon superficial fans who "wait" for the big moment and miss a whole lot in between.  This team is rich in history for some of us...tells our story.  If that doesn't apply to you, doesn't mean you speak for all of us. 

It's a sad team if you watch hockey only to gloat about winning.  If you watch for some damn good entertainment and to have something to share with family in a tradition that carries over, there's a lot more there than you're sitting on the sidelines for "a" moment.

Constant need?  Sure.

The ROH is for players who have had a lasting impact on the team. Gino probably fits in this category, he was my favorite back in the day.

I would do it, solely based on his overarching impact, he was loved by fans and players, he took care of Bure, he almost always shows up for special nights and alumni events.

• Vintage 2