The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 1, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Assuming another brutal defensive show in the next game, if I were Green I'd be tempted to start playing super safe AV style. Put a safe player on each line and D pairing and just defend, score opportunistic goals.

Pettersson - Horvat (safe) - Boeser

Motte (safe) - Miller - Hoglander

Gaudette - Sutter (safe) - Eriksson (extra safe)

MacEwan - Beagle (safe) - Virtanen

Edler (safe) - Benn

Hughes - Schmidt (supposed to be safe)

Juolevi - Myers (safe)

Playing a risky Hughes and Benn together has been a disasterclass. Playing a poor Miller with our other 2 offensive first guys has lead to zero defending. Edler and Myers have been our best defensive D men this year, let's spread their wealth to calm the rest of the team down. 

Having Miller, Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes and Benn all on the ice at the same time against Montreal was an absolute gong show. No one defending, everyone forcing offence, this is where Green needs to mix things up, bring Eriksson in because at least he plays safe defence.

So glad I turned it off after the first period. Had other things to do than yell at my monitor. 

Hope Gaudette can figure it out but I'm not putting my eggs in that basket. The goal he scored was a bit of a lucky one and doesn't redeem him for the giveaway on the PP. Also, Sutter's contract expires at the end of this season. That's a big hole to fill - 3rd line centre, PK, & occasional winger duty, and I don't think Gaudette is ready for that or if he ever will be. 

Crazy how at the end of the playoffs things looked so promising and like there was light at the end of the tunnel. Now it seems like we've taken 2 or 3 steps back. 

I've always been a Travis Green supporter but it's hard to defend him after the team looked like that tonight. I also think Newell Brown is an hindrance to the talent we have on the PP.  

Very happy to have Schmidt on this team but I don't think he's found his comfort level and place on this defense yet. 

Petey needs to buck up. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Really? A guy who scored 18 goals last year, is only 24, is fast as the wind wouldn't be able to fetch a middle to late second rounder, even? 

I think if he doesn't produce, he'll eventually see himself out of Vancouver. Unfortunately, I think management feels like Jake's got a lot more to give, but for whatever reason, he's not giving it. Is it the coaching staff? Is it him? Combination of both? Could Gerard Gallant get more out of Virtanen? 

You know what would be hilarious. If Jake was traded to the Golden Knights, and he thrives there. 

Would be just Canuck luck, wouldn't it? Trade a player, and then they flourish at their new destination. 

Jake is lazy. Proof of that is how he played tonight. He was much better than he has been all year.

Why? Because he got his hand slapped and was sent to his room. He needs to play like Zack or Motte. Work hard every day, every shift. 

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

Jake is lazy. Proof of that is how he played tonight. He was much better than he has been all year.

Why? Because he got his hand slapped and was sent to his room. He needs to play like Zack or Motte. Work hard every day, every shift. 

Were you watching the game? Jake had a good game that generated some chances. Gaudette was a disaster.

Chatfield's giveaway that led to Montreal's 4th goal was so similar to the Quinn Hughes' turnover where he hit Horvat with a pass intended for Edler. It's almost as if the players are coached to do nothing but advance the puck along the wall until they get to the red line and then dump it in, and when that option inevitably gets sealed off, they try to force it through. It is so predictable.

• Vintage 1

What I would do is put juolevi in for Benn or chatfield. Gaud has been stinkin let him ride it for a bit. Honestly with our defensive play being so terrible, I wouldn’t be against LE slotting in for a game or two to see how that turns out. Hate to say it. I’d also look at Bailey!! We need to change our system first and foremost. It’s clearly not helping us.