The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 1, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 hours ago, HannibalSmith said:

I agree the coaches need to go too.  But who? 
Basically.......we’re in trouble. 

wow all the willy nilly's  in an uproar over a lost game.  fire him, get rid of   players,  throw them under the bus, then the next game , its Green is the best, Benning sure did great getting Hoglander, Miller etc,  come on guys this is our team, they are going to lose some games, this is a weird season , we need to take the good with the bad!

• Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

If only ‘TBC’ meant ‘to be canceled’. Just let the boys play and go redeem themselves, no need to waste time with questions about what went wrong and what they need to do. 
Go kick some a$$ tomorrow guys! Revenge will be sweet! :)

15 minutes ago, Whalespray said:

On Toffoli.

Regardless of the fact that I agree between Jake and Toffoli I would prefer to have Toffoli. Current cap space = $0 as I understand it Caucks had to be under the cap pre putting Ferland on LTIR to begin the season. Soooooo Jake $2.55 Toffoli $4.25 not sure how to make the math work? 

i also heard Toffoli want 5 mil from the Canucks, so Benning moved on and Toffoli was lucky he got 4.25 mil

17 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Then you shouldn't have made the trade for Toffoli for a couple of months. He gave up assets they can't afford to give up. It just seems they think they are better than what they actually are. They needed to keep building and they regressed because of that move.

You do realize that Covid-19 happened, right?

That flattened the projected cap by 2M or so.  Also made trades harder to make in the off season.

On the other hand, we got Schmidt for a 3rd rounder probably because of the flat cap.

21 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

You know, there seems to be something off with Schmitty. Is it still him getting used to Green's systems? 

What system is that?

the hope the goalie steals the game system is the only system this team has played for years. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Why is everyone willing to give Benning a pass on his tenure so far? He's been hear almost 7 years. He's drafted well. His trades have been 50/50 but I think he gets a fail in free agency. The cap hell we are in right now is his fault and everyone keeps saying wait a couple of years and everything will even itself out. It will come off the book. Its wasted time for Pettersson and Hughes here. It's his fault we have to wait a couple of years and people just want to sweep that away likes it's no big deal. It's a big reason we couldn't bring anyone back or add anyone now. He shouldn't be let off so easy.

7 years sure, but also was not given the green light by ownership to do a full rebuild for his first 3ish seasons. He inherited a mess when he came in, and had to appease ownership to turn the team with the same roster into a winner. Past 4 years is more of a fair time period to judge him on. 

2 minutes ago, Pbhatti00 said:

7 years sure, but also was not given the green light by ownership to do a full rebuild for his first 3ish seasons. He inherited a mess when he came in, and had to appease ownership to turn the team with the same roster into a winner. Past 4 years is more of a fair time period to judge him on. 

Sure and the signings have still been terrible and the trades just mediocre.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Just give Baumgartner a breathalyzer before the game and you don't even have to pay him.  No coach is that incompetent if he's sober.

I mean, I respect the time he put in with the Moose and all and he gave us that one in the mid 2000's as a Canuck, but he's not getting the job done. It's Green and the assistants or the assistants. 

I understand that other teams pay PK coaches and that PK units are usually gonna be pretty decent, but with the talent we have on that top unit there's no way we shouldn't be capitalizing more on the powerplay. The inconsistency of our Brown run powerplay drives me nuts. It's on the players too, no question, but it's a lot easier to turf coaches than switch players. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

The idiot that Benning replaced left a mess so bad we're still feeling the consequences with Luongo.  The first three years were largely spent undoing the damage Gillis did.

Exactly, we should have traded the twins to a contender. (Signing LE was about supporting the twins final run.) We should have collected more draft picks instead. 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I mean, I respect the time he put in with the Moose and all and he gave us that one in the mid 2000's as a Canuck, but he's not getting the job done. It's Green and the assistants or the assistants.

At the end of the day, we aren't the Oilers and should be hiring coaches based on competence.  Baumgartner is unfit to coach a beer league hockey team.  I'm ashamed I've bought tickets and contributed to putting food on that bum's table.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1