The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time To Jettison Aging Vets?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

28 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Have to say, @Nuxfanabroadcalled this one like Babe Ruth pointing to the fence before hitting a home run ... memorable moment ... great job!!!!

spacer.png

Thanks for kind words, Dr C..but in all honesty I missed some big details. Was calling for buyouts on 2 of our vet-fodder. Now I sorta wonder if JB knew OEL, the 'Yotes & he would revisit the deal they'd been kicking around last Fall? Perhaps he played a patient card, understanding the lower we fell, the more irresistable our 1st would be to them lowly hounds?

How could us CDC'ers have foreseen the July fireworks? Interestingly, this thread was started just about a half-day prior to the COVID-mayhem busting out.

Which then begs another question...

Imagine we could poll all CDC'ers Mar 31st, whether they'd accept the OEL, Garland doozy coming in July? We would be sending the 3 picks & 3 lumps. Only we wouldn't be told how high our 1st would be.

I bet you over 95% would snatch that deal with a "Hell YEAH! Sign me up!"

It's been quite the few mos; yet amuses me that some haterz will endlessly attempt to frame it with a negative slant.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 8/6/2021 at 12:44 AM, Millerdraft said:

One more wasted year results in:

1.  JT Miller’s agent letting management & ownership know in December that they are demanding a trade, hopefully by the deadline or they will let future free agents know that this ownership sits on player’s prime years without trying to do damage in the playoffs.

2.  Horvat’s agent follows suit at season’s end and informs both ownership and management that he will not be wasting the rest of his prime while the franchise tries to find a fully developed top-six powerforward, in his prime, to replace the recently departed top-six powerforward in his prime.

3.  Suddenly we are in the Buffalo Sabres’ rebuild model with Eichel (Pettersson) and Dahlin (Hughes), and not much else.

How long was it before the losing led to the current Eichel situation?

Good take...

• Thanks 2

On 8/5/2021 at 4:44 PM, Millerdraft said:

One more wasted year results in:

1.  JT Miller’s agent letting management & ownership know in December that they are demanding a trade, hopefully by the deadline or they will let future free agents know that this ownership sits on player’s prime years without trying to do damage in the playoffs.

2.  Horvat’s agent follows suit at season’s end and informs both ownership and management that he will not be wasting the rest of his prime while the franchise tries to find a fully developed top-six powerforward, in his prime, to replace the recently departed top-six powerforward in his prime.

3.  Suddenly we are in the Buffalo Sabres’ rebuild model with Eichel (Pettersson) and Dahlin (Hughes), and not much else.

How long was it before the losing led to the current Eichel situation?

With the topic of this thread.(and your name) do you believe it would be a good idea to jettison JT after this season and sell high on a player for a great return?

He would still have a yr contract and be attractive to other teams, if he has a great year

54 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

With the topic of this thread.(and your name) do you believe it would be a good idea to jettison JT after this season and sell high on a player for a great return?

He would still have a yr contract and be attractive to other teams, if he has a great year

It’s certainly something I think ought to be considered and the answer may ultimately lay within how well Podkolzin’s offensive game translates to this level.  Getting a high end prospect and another first round pick would go a long way towards keeping the pipeline of replacement players open thereby extending our window of opportunity for this core.  The problem is, what do you do if Podkolzin has a disappointing year that sees him score only 5g 15-20a?  Now you’re potentially slamming your window closed if you still choose to trade JT, and Podkolzin keeps putting up 4th liner offensive numbers in top-nine minutes, because by the time those blue chip assets are ready to contribute Horvat will be 31/32 and trending towards a third line centre’s role.  So, if Podkolzin shines offensively, yes, that opens up the option of trading JT; however, if he struggles then JB just can’t risk it, IMO.

Edit:  Btw, my handle is just a play on my last name, and drafting.  I do also enjoy beer from the tap but MGD is only an occasional consumption, not my go-to ;) and my handle certainly has nothing to do with JT as I’ve been a board member since Burkie was rumoured to be landing Ron Francis & Jeff O’Neill at the trade deadline (apparently O’Neill vetoed the trade) in the early 2000s :lol:

Edited by Millerdraft
  • Vintage 1