The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time To Jettison Aging Vets?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

21 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

All the Old timer/deadwood players MUST be let go.  Hopefully JB can trade them before their contracts expire, otherwise DO NOT RENEW ANY OF THEM.  This team needs to finally Purge the $20M this year and $22M next year of anchor old/legacy contracts once and for all and get younger, faster and especially grittier.  We will NEVER win a Cup with a bunch of Finesse players alone and I think we all know this and why we need to purge the last of the mediocre Senior citizens once and for all and get some decent support players for our young stars.    Of course, we also need to include the PURGING of Lazy Jake who is a total washout. 

Mostly agree: that all of our FA vets should walk, especially, in the D core.  

Preferably, it would be nice to see the roster (that includes JV) with a different staff that emphasizes rolling four line (despite the talent).

9 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Although we don't quite yet know the TP role, almost $10,000,000.00 in $macker$ does seem rather exorbitant.

If EP, QH & NT are on the roster next yr(with the other key youth), then all is forgiven...

Since the Canucks will be protecting rather than trading TP, that potentially leaves Virts or Gaudette exposed unless they are traded. Like most fans, this signing is a bit of a head scratcher. Maybe Bo pushed for him as his winger.

• Vintage 1

I think we need to increase our youth (That are ready) and increase our depth of skill and overall balance.  Didn’t run the numbers (Which is important) but something like this would be pretty cool to see:

Miller Pettersson Gusev

Podkolzin Horvat Boeser 

Pearson Gaudette Hoglander

Motte Boyd Virtanen

Vesey

Hughes Hamonic

Schmidt Tryamkin

Joulevi Myers

Rathbone

Demko

Holtby

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

Its hard to imagine that a GM would actually keep unneeded players out of compassion. I wonder if the truth is more that no one wants a Covid-sick player atm. In the actual interview with him, the reporter asked if a quiet trade deadline was due to lack of interest or “the human side of things” and he chose the latter in his response. If he refused offers for that reason he should be fired. His mandate is to build a championship caliber team, period.

11 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

“the human side of things”

11 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

If he refused offers for that reason he should be fired.

did you even consider that "the human side of things" is the fact that the team is in the midst of a covid outbreak?

On 3/30/2021 at 8:52 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

For ease of thread topic, suggesting we define aging vets as 30 yrs, or having already reached about 500 career, gp.

Personally feel a rising number of our youth are of an age that they can help(incoming ELC types), as opposed to being helped themselves.

Q1.. Is it high time to transition our core of key players into a range of young to mid-20's? Guys like Nils Hoglander often appear to be playing the most "vet" style, of whatever roster we're running.

Our average age has ranged around 27-28, but hard to nail this down precisely, with all the turnover. Would this be a good time to aim for the 26-ish range, assembling a young roster(perhaps in youngest third of all NHL squads)?

Keep only 1 of Benn/Ham

Goodbye to Eddie

Return the Bfg from Siberia

Buyout for LouiE

Maybe another for AR

Perhaps never give more than 2 yrs(future signings) to any such vets in FAgency?

or, Q2.. Might it be a tad early to aggressively transition to a younger roster(in 2021-22, of course)?

Which do you prefer? Any specific moves come to mind?..

1) I’d go with Benn over Hamonic since Benn will be cheaper.

2) I don’t see Edler being back.   He’ll get a decent contract somewhere else.....maybe Calgary.  :-p.   Tryamkin will be his replacement.

3) I don’t think buying out Loui Eriksson will save us much in cap space.   The Canucks would be much better off packaging him off with a sweetener for cap space.    Maybe Eriksson and a 1st or Rathbone to Seattle in the Expansion draft gets it done.   Yes, losing a first or Rathbone would be a very tough pill to swallow, but the resulting cap space that this would create could allow us to comfortably re-sign Pettersson and Hughes while also allowing us to possibly sign another good UFA.

4) Keeping Roussel around for another year might not be such a bad thing as he would give us depth and some degree of toughness.

My projected line-up:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Podkolzin

Pearson-####-Virtanen

Vesey-Gaudette-Motte

Hughes-Schmidt

Tryamkin-Myers

Juolevi-Benn

Demko

Holtby

I think getting an upgrade on the 3rd line C spot will be key.  

Pearson and Virtanen can be very good 3rd line players IF the Canucks can bring in a good 3rd line C here that has good two skills and can be a decent playmaker.    A part of me is inclined to believe that Sam Bennett could still be that guy for us in a new environment but that could be a stretch.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I think we need to increase our youth (That are ready) and increase our depth of skill and overall balance.  Didn’t run the numbers (Which is important) but something like this would be pretty cool to see:

Miller Pettersson Gusev

Podkolzin Horvat Boeser 

Pearson Gaudette Hoglander

Motte Boyd Virtanen

Vesey

Hughes Hamonic

Schmidt Tryamkin

Joulevi Myers

Rathbone

Demko

Holtby

I like this above line-up a lot actually, but I think the Canucks would need an upgrade on the 3rd line C spot in order to maximize Pearson and Hoglander.   Maybe put Gaudette on the top line on RW (yes, I’m crazy), and then bring in/trade for a good 3rd line C instead of investing in Gusev?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I like this above line-up a lot actually, but I think the Canucks would need an upgrade on the 3rd line C spot in order to maximize Pearson and Hoglander.   Maybe put Gaudette on the top line on RW (yes, I’m crazy), and then bring in/trade for a good 3rd line C instead of investing in Gusev?

Yeah I agree that could be a good approach too.  I have a suspicion that Gaudette may do much better with better line mates like Hogs and Pearson.

On 4/2/2021 at 5:51 AM, wai_lai416 said:

Okay? So we going all in next year buy everyone out and spend to the cap just so we can make the fans happy? Even though this team won't be good enough to contend for the cup? The goal I guess is not win a cup but to keep handicapping the team with dead cap every season just to make the fans happy. After buying these guys out then we'll prolly be talking about buying Myers out then whoever next the following season. When was the last time the canucks even had a full cap to spend and not have any cap retention buy out penalty.. or cap sitting in the press box buryed in the minor? Oh right never in the Benning era and we want to continue that for another decade 

Yeah, with his continual signings of aging players for mentoring/sheltering reasons has mostly not helped the team with hindsight cause he only handcuffs himself and ends up paying too much (with future assets) to fill a team need.   Despite his drafting, it has mostly been a mess but let's see how it plays out moving forward...

• 4 weeks later...

Last couple months a blur..think this thread kicked off just before all the COVID-drama.

Whatever the case, we sure have been getting a good look at some youth lately.  Can't help wondering just how young next yr's roster will be?

Which coaches stay? Player contracts...buyouts? Throw in an ED & Draft, & this should be quite the interesting summer.

10 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Last couple months a blur..think this thread kicked off just before all the COVID-drama.

Whatever the case, we sure have been getting a good look at some youth lately.  Can't help wondering just how young next yr's roster will be?

Which coaches stay? Player contracts...buyouts? Throw in an ED & Draft, & this should be quite the interesting summer.

GMJB and Chris Gear will have a lot on their plate.  

If Gadjovich gets a couple of games as well as Lockwood, it will be job well done as far as seeing what we got in terms of youth. 

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

GMJB and Chris Gear will have a lot on their plate.  

If Gadjovich gets a couple of games as well as Lockwood, it will be job well done as far as seeing what we got in terms of youth. 

& now I'm gettin' confused on just WHO is ED-eligible, or not? Wonder how likely that the Seattle coffee grinders might pluck a young piece from our stash?