The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Van-Tampa

On 6/7/2021 at 1:42 PM, Bertuzzipunch said:

I agree burning a year of QH ELC was pretty dumb. Da hell were they thinking there  smh.

It wasn’t dumb at all.   They’ll get a longer bridge deal with Hughes and he’ll still be an RFA at the end of it (similar to Boeser).  

2 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

It wasn’t dumb at all.   They’ll get a longer bridge deal with Hughes and he’ll still be an RFA at the end of it (similar to Boeser).  

Well id much much much rather have dealt with quinns contract next season instead of this season.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

We need to do what TB did back with Stamkos, Kucherov/Vasilevski etc. Sign them all to 3-4 year long term RFA bridge deals, convince them to sign for less now and get paid more on the next deal. It has worked out well for them, yes they are going to be in cap hell still this off season but they also have a chance to win back to back Cups. 

If the Canucks won a cup after following the same model, I could care less how bad the cap situation is or who we lose via FA or trade. The Canucks would have won the Stanley Cup!!! Life long dream completed!! Can you convince all your core young guys to sign 3-4 years under say 5.5m tho? Doesn't sound likely when people are throwing out 7m deals for 2-3 years. That doesnt save us anything, it pays the player and his agent then they can threaten to sign a short deal to take the to UFA status if we dont want to go max term large $$ deal after it. Basically if your a high skilled guy you can control the team and their cap as early as after you finish your ELC.

Players and agents have too much power or should I say are just far too greedy. Do they forget they still make millions to play a damn sport!!?!? I have destroyed my body working for like 50-70 grand a year for crying out loud!

10 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

We need to do what TB did back with Stamkos, Kucherov/Vasilevski etc. Sign them all to 3-4 year long term RFA bridge deals, convince them to sign for less now and get paid more on the next deal. It has worked out well for them, yes they are going to be in cap hell still this off season but they also have a chance to win back to back Cups. 

If the Canucks won a cup after following the same model, I could care less how bad the cap situation is or who we lose via FA or trade. The Canucks would have won the Stanley Cup!!! Life long dream completed!! Can you convince all your core young guys to sign 3-4 years under say 5.5m tho? Doesn't sound likely when people are throwing out 7m deals for 2-3 years. That doesnt save us anything, it pays the player and his agent then they can threaten to sign a short deal to take the to UFA status if we dont want to go max term large $$ deal after it. Basically if your a high skilled guy you can control the team and their cap as early as after you finish your ELC.

Players and agents have too much power or should I say are just far too greedy. Do they forget they still make millions to play a damn sport!!?!? I have destroyed my body working for like 50-70 grand a year for crying out loud!

Yep, you nailed it with your first sentence (3-4 year bridge deals that takes them to RFA) which is exactly why I believe Benning and management were willing to burn a year off their ELC’s.   It’s during these “bridge” years to core players where cap hits are relatively low in which teams can make serious pushes. This is what teams like Chicago and LA did as well.

3 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Yep, you nailed it with your first sentence (3-4 year bridge deals that takes them to RFA) which is exactly why I believe Benning and management were willing to burn a year off their ELC’s.   It’s during these “bridge” years to core players where cap hits are relatively low in which teams can make serious pushes. This is what teams like Chicago and LA did as well.

yup but is 3yrs at 7m like Barzal really considered a relatively low cap hit right now...with a flat cap my answer is a big NO. If the cap was going up a few million each year it is a totally different story, that said Barzal still got that 7m x 3yr deal while in this pandemic with the known flat cap going forward

CHECK THIS OUT guys

Tampa will make a trade of some kind for 2 reasons: 

1. to trade someone for assets they would otherwise lose in the expansion draft

2. for cap reasons

TB will likely protect:

(7F)

stamkos, palat, point, kucherov, gourde,  Alex killorn, Ciarelli

(3D)

hedman, sergachev, mcdonugh

UFAs- coleman, barclay, Savard

Exposed

Cernak

Foote- ELC is up now

Mathieu Joseph

Boris Katchouk- ELC up now

Ty Raddysh-ELC up now

So I would trade our 1st + OJ for Cernak (gives them more cap relief than foote) and one of Joseph, Boris, Raddysh

I would try to sign Blake Coleman or Philip danault, they will probably want big money like 5 mill x 4 yrs, maybe get him at 4.25x5mill

JTM EP NH

VP BH BB

TP BC TR/BK/JM

TM TG JB/ZM

- pretty solid top 9, bottom 3 not great, but grovac, motte Zack and Bailey are all big, maybe try to sign Barclay, and bucks become van lightning nucks

NS Cernak

QH TM

JR TH

AE

other options:

sergachev for 1st and OJ or rathbone ( I prefer to keep Rathbone and really do not want to move him, seems to have high hockey IQ)

Foote + Joseph/raddysh/boris for 1st and OJ

9 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

CHECK THIS OUT guys

2. for cap reasons

TB will likely protect:

(7F)

(3D)

Exposed

Cernak

Foote- ELC is up now

Mathieu Joseph

Ty Raddysh-ELC up now

So I would trade our 1st + OJ for Cernak (gives them more cap relief than foote) and one of Joseph, Boris, Raddysh

I would try to sign Blake Coleman or Philip danault, they will probably want big money like 5 mill x 4 yrs, maybe get him at 4.25x5mill

JTM EP NH

VP BH BB

TP BC TR/BK/JM

TM TG JB/ZM

- pretty solid top 9, bottom 3 not great, but grovac, motte Zack and Bailey are all big, maybe try to sign Barclay, and bucks become van lightning nucks

NS Cernak

QH TM

JR TH

AE

other options:

sergachev for 1st and OJ or rathbone ( I prefer to keep Rathbone and really do not want to move him, seems to have high hockey IQ)

why wouldn't Seattle just stroke a deal with TB, take some cap along with a couple of prospects like cal foote+ raddysh + cap dump for... but there it is, what would battle even have to give up? I doubt they move the 2nd overall even for a guy like sergachev, maybe their 2022 1st? but that's not better than the 2021 9thOA...give it a think, hope JB thinks of this.

31 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

why wouldn't Seattle just stroke a deal with TB, take some cap along with a couple of prospects like cal foote+ raddysh + cap dump for... but there it is, what would battle even have to give up? I doubt they move the 2nd overall even for a guy like sergachev, maybe their 2022 1st? but that's not better than the 2021 9thOA...give it a think, hope JB thinks of this.

43 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

CHECK THIS OUT guys

2. for cap reasons

TB will likely protect:

(7F)

(3D)

Exposed

Cernak

Foote- ELC is up now

Mathieu Joseph

Ty Raddysh-ELC up now

JTM EP NH

VP BH BB

TP BC TR/BK/JM

TM TG JB/ZM

NS Cernak

QH TM

JR TH

AE

other options:

TBL are poised to protect 4F + 4D + 1G: Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, Cirelli, Hedman, Cernak, Sergachev, Foote, Vasilevskiy

They will sweeten the deal with Seattle, something like adding a 2022 1st round pick for selecting Johnson (hometown Seattle boy and first captain of The Kraken). This will actually help TBL clear cap. There is little risk that McDonagh would be selected given his long and high contract.

TBL will then look to trade Palat or Killorn to the highest bidder. Half a dozen teams would be interested. Something like:

To LAK: Palat

To TBL: Lias Andersson (signed to $950k) + 2nd round pick

New lineup that is cap compliant:

Barre-Boulet Point Kucherov

Killorn Cirelli Stamkos

Andersson Gourde Joseph

Maroon Colton Stephens

(Raddysh)

Hedman Rutta

McDonagh Cernak

Sergachev Schenn

(Foote)

Vas (cheap backup)

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

TBL are poised to protect 4F + 4D + 1G: Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, Cirelli, Hedman, Cernak, Sergachev, Foote, Vasilevskiy

They will sweeten the deal with Seattle, something like adding a 2022 1st round pick for selecting Johnson (hometown Seattle boy and first captain of The Kraken). This will actually help TBL clear cap. There is little risk that McDonagh would be selected given his long and high contract.

TBL will then look to trade Palat or Killorn to the highest bidder. Half a dozen teams would be interested. Something like:

To LAK: Palat

To TBL: Lias Andersson (signed to $950k) + 2nd round pick

New lineup that is cap compliant:

Barre-Boulet Point Kucherov

Killorn Cirelli Stamkos

Andersson Gourde Joseph

Maroon Colton Stephens

(Raddysh)

Hedman Rutta

McDonagh Cernak

Sergachev Schenn

(Foote)

Vas (cheap backup)

That team you have on paper is still very very good. What a powerhouse org they've been the last 7 years, always at the top of the league fighting for the cup.

• Cheers 1

On 6/8/2021 at 9:50 PM, BCNate said:

A few reasons why QH's deal will be lower than it would be next year:

- He is signing it in a flat cap.  Next year looks like fans will be allowed in most rinks, many at full capacity.  The NHL got an excellent new TV deal with TNT.  The cap will not be flat for long.  I'd assume that there will be talks of increasing it by the end of next year (not necessarily for the following year though).  As soon as a deal hits that increasing cap, salary demands will increase along with it.

-QH was very good offensively this year, but was exposed as one of the worst defensive D in the NHL.  I think the schedule, playing teams 9-10 times allowed them to key on him more.  That hurts his value on his next deal.  I do expect that he will rebound though.

Coming into this season, I fully expected that EP and QH would sign 3 year bridge deals in the 7-8 mill range based on their prior seasons.  I think based QH defensive play, he is now looking at 3x 6 max.  I expect that he will bounce back next year, and rebuild a fair amount of value, and would likely command much more, closer to that 3x8.

It is not unreasonable to say Hughes took a step back this year.  Signing a core young player coming off a down year is a good situation for a cap crunched team.  I am in no way implying that he does not have a very bright future though.

The cap could well be flat through 2024/25.   Friedman in his 31 Thoughts - he's getting those numbers from league sources who are doing the projections:

22. A few sources are indicating that revenue numbers this year are expected to be around the $1.8- to $2-billion dollar range. When you factor in money owed by the players to the league under the CBA, teams are estimating the cap will stay static for several years. Most sources suggested through 2024–25.

---

The league operates on a budget of about 5 billion but only got 2 back at most this season.  Many owners have had to borrow money and those loans need to be reimbursed.  Fans in the stands brings hope to come out break even next season but doesn't cover the debts accrued.  

The TV deal was less than discussed at the Board of Governors ahead of the pandemic per Sean Shapiro.  

Escrow amounts agreed in the summer were too low and they tried to revise them but players refused.  The cap was already artificially high and even more now.  The escrow balance is larger than ever where players owe upwards of 1 billion to owners per Friedman.  By refusing to increase escrow it's going to take longer to reimburse the amounts they owe back for their share of the losses. 

15 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

That team you have on paper is still very very good. What a powerhouse org they've been the last 7 years, always at the top of the league fighting for the cup.

Yep and they have a few more years in them of runs at the cup. I do not like how they put Kucherov on LTIR and got him back in time for the playoffs tho. Not cool.

Just spitballing another option...stick with the Johnson trade to Seattle and then trade Killorn to EDM for Stalock + a pick. Plus sign a cheap UFA (e.g. Leivo) to league minimum.

Palat Point Kucherov

Barre-Boulet Cirelli Stamkos

Leivo Gourde Joseph

Maroon Colton Stephens

(Raddysh)

Hedman Rutta

McDonagh Cernak

Sergachev Schenn

(Foote)

Vas (Stalock)

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

The cap could well be flat through 2024/25.   Friedman in his 31 Thoughts - he's getting those numbers from league sources who are doing the projections:

22. A few sources are indicating that revenue numbers this year are expected to be around the $1.8- to $2-billion dollar range. When you factor in money owed by the players to the league under the CBA, teams are estimating the cap will stay static for several years. Most sources suggested through 2024–25.

---

The league operates on a budget of about 5 billion but only got 2 back at most this season.  Many owners have had to borrow money and those loans need to be reimbursed.  Fans in the stands brings hope to come out break even next season but doesn't cover the debts accrued.  

The TV deal was less than discussed at the Board of Governors ahead of the pandemic per Sean Shapiro.  

Escrow amounts agreed in the summer were too low and they tried to revise them but players refused.  The cap was already artificially high and even more now.  The escrow balance is larger than ever where players owe upwards of 1 billion to owners per Friedman.  By refusing to increase escrow it's going to take longer to reimburse the amounts they owe back for their share of the losses. 

They NHL needs to find more income. Having no cap increase for 5 years isnt good for anyone and you know most owners want it to go up. More gambling or something