The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Protected list from teams around the NHL

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I feel like they just released them all.at once for Vegas... what's the purpose of order of picks when its only 1 team?? I feel like seattle shouldn't be suprised what seattle does lol.

Seattle files their choices in the morning.  The league has time to verify their picks and the reveal is in the evening.  The order they are announced is irrelevant.  

It's a show for fans and TV.  Vegas had the arena full and even had players coming on stage.

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If Toronto trading for McCann then loses him to Seattle I will laugh like a maniac. 

That might be the aim - they would have protected all their other players for only a 7th round pick.  One of the insiders tweeted that Toronto thinks they could lose Kerfoot and McCann is insurance.

40 minutes ago, Psycho_Path said:

Ryan Miller (G)
Michael Chaput (F)
Curtis Lazar (F)    
Colin Miller (D)
Josh Leivo (F)        
Drew Shore (F)        
Adam Gaudette (F)
Gabriel Landeskog (F)
Michael Del Zotto (D)
Andrej Sekera (D)
Troy Stecher (D)
Adam Cracknell (F)
Kevin Connauton (D)
Jonathan Quick (G)
Nick Bonino (F)
Jordan Weal (F)
Brad Richardson (F)
P.K. Subban (D)
Cory Schneider (G)
Anthony DeAngelo (D)
Evgeni Dadonov (F)
Derrick Pouliot (D)
Andrey Pedan (D)
Dylan Gambrell (F)
Vladimir Tarasenko (F)
Ondrej Palat (F)
Jared McCann (F)
Jake Virtanen (F)
Nic Dowd (F)
Jordie Benn (D)

Palat, Landeskog, Tarasenko
Leivo, McCann, Dadonov
Gambrell, Bonino, Virtanen
Gaudette, Richardson, Dowd

Miller, Subban
DeAngelo, Sekera
Stecher, Del Zotto

Quick
Miller

I see what you did there.

50 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

I’m sure this may have been discussed, but I didn’t notice until today that Vegas is exempt from having to make players available to Seattle. They’ve been in the  league 4 years. Why should they still be exempt? Maybe for the first couple years, but 4?

It was part of the initial deal when Vegas entered  the league that they would be exempt from the next expansion draft.  In exchange they had to forgo their share of the Seattle expansion fee. 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 7/18/2021 at 12:31 PM, King Heffy said:

They can only pick 3.

No they have to take 3 but they could take up to 7 and then deal them. 

I predict they take 5 but would be surprised if it were less than 4 goalies. 

Edited by brian42
  • Cheers 1

So after Vegas now Seattle gets gifted a Playoff team.. honestly looking at the players available it makes me question the system..

Maybe teams should have been allowed to protect 8 forwards and 4 D and a goalie.. to prevent Seattle/Vegas from being one 

of the best teams straight away.. on top of that put both teams in Canucks division - great! Thank you NHL!

It's not Vegas/Seattles fault that the system is how it is but I have only hate and disrespect for those 2 teams..

2 hours ago, Nathancanuck said:

So after Vegas now Seattle gets gifted a Playoff team.. honestly looking at the players available it makes me question the system..

Maybe teams should have been allowed to protect 8 forwards and 4 D and a goalie.. to prevent Seattle/Vegas from being one 

of the best teams straight away.. on top of that put both teams in Canucks division - great! Thank you NHL!

It's not Vegas/Seattles fault that the system is how it is but I have only hate and disrespect for those 2 teams..

Seattle paid $650m in expansion fees.  Of course they’re going to be given an opportunity to draft a decent team 

By comparison Vancouver paid $6m in 1971. (equivalent of $42m in today’s dollars) 

3 hours ago, Nathancanuck said:

Seattle will have a roster of good players, but (just like Vegas) in the tough games they will struggle to score.  There are no elite centres for them to pick.  

16 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Seattle paid $650m in expansion fees.  Of course they’re going to be given an opportunity to draft a decent team 

By comparison Vancouver paid $6m in 1971. (equivalent of $42m in today’s dollars) 

Yeah I get that they had to pay a lot to get in.. but according to that logic if they would have paid even more would they be allowed

to get McDavid then? How much an owner has to pay shouldn't affect the players available for the entry draft.. they should have to build

their teams over time just like any other expansion team had to except Vegas.. 

Money is a funny thing.. for me 10$ are worth more than $650m to someone like Bill Gates or Jeff Bezos..

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Seattle will have a roster of good players, but (just like Vegas) in the tough games they will struggle to score.  There are no elite centres for them to pick.  

True but on the other hand it seems like teams who don't have that much elite talent but are deep and can roll 4 lines get further than teams with

McDavid or Matthews.. Vegas and Montreal as examples..

Also Vegas went to the final once and twice to the conference final within the first 4 seasons.. yes they might still miss a piece to push them over the top

but I don't like it at all. Especially that both of these teams are going to be in our division, just as our window of opportunity opens we get thrown 2 cheat 

teams in our division.. 

3 minutes ago, Nathancanuck said:

Yeah I get that they had to pay a lot to get in.. but according to that logic if they would have paid even more would they be allowed

to get McDavid then? How much an owner has to pay shouldn't affect the players available for the entry draft.. they should have to build

their teams over time just like any other expansion team had to except Vegas.. 

Money is a funny thing.. for me 10$ are worth more than $650m to someone like Bill Gates or Jeff Bezos..

True but on the other hand it seems like teams who don't have that much elite talent but are deep and can roll 4 lines get further than teams with

McDavid or Matthews.. Vegas and Montreal as examples..

Also Vegas went to the final once and twice to the conference final within the first 4 seasons.. yes they might still miss a piece to push them over the top

but I don't like it at all. Especially that both of these teams are going to be in our division, just as our window of opportunity opens we get thrown 2 cheat 

teams in our division.. 

Of course the expansion fee should play into how favourable the draft should be.  Do you think Vegas snd Seattle would have ponied up over a billion dollars if they were only given bare scraps to build a team from?  They need to sell the team to new fans. You can’t do that with a crap team. Look how many crappy franchises folded in the 70’s-80’s because they couldn’t draw a crowd. The league learned its lesson 

Edited by qwijibo

9 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Of course the expansion fee should play into how favourable the draft should be.  Do you think Vegas snd Seattle would have ponied up over a billion dollars if they were only given bare scraps to build a team from?  They need to sell the team to new fans. You can’t do that with a crap team. Look how many crappy franchises folded in the 70’s-80’s because they couldn’t draw a crowd. The league learned its lesson 

I strongly disagree.. otherwise we could also get rid of the cap.. if someone can pay all the best players why shouldn't they be allowed to do so? 

It's because we want parity in the league and not 1 or 2 dominating teams forever. Just look how boring sports are without cap (European soccer e.g.)

The real difference between now and 20+ years ago is that the density of top players increased (in all sports). Therefore 20+years ago if a team protects

its best 8 players there would only be a bunch of goons left to pick.. Nowadays there is so much talent out there that you can get to the finals in the first

season..

1 minute ago, Nathancanuck said:

I strongly disagree.. otherwise we could also get rid of the cap.. if someone can pay all the best players why shouldn't they be allowed to do so? 

It's because we want parity in the league and not 1 or 2 dominating teams forever. Just look how boring sports are without cap (European soccer e.g.)

The real difference between now and 20+ years ago is that the density of top players increased (in all sports). Therefore 20+years ago if a team protects

its best 8 players there would only be a bunch of goons left to pick.. Nowadays there is so much talent out there that you can get to the finals in the first

season..

Youre acting like the league is gifting them elite talent. They’re not. You’re also discounting how good a job McPhee did in Vegas.  The best pieces Vegas got came from trades.  Vegas managed to get Tuch, Theodore, Karlsson in trades with their teams who wanted to protect t other players.  They ended up with 3 first round picks in their inaugural draft to to his dealing.  They obtained Pacioretty, Stone , Pietrangelo, Martinez in subsequent trades.  The team they gave now barely resembles the team they drafted in the ED 

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Youre acting like the league is gifting them elite talent. They’re not. You’re also discounting how good a job McPhee did in Vegas.  The best pieces Vegas got came from trades.  Vegas managed to get Tuch, Theodore, Karlsson in trades with their teams who wanted to protect t other players.  They ended up with 3 first round picks in their inaugural draft to to his dealing.  They obtained Pacioretty, Stone , Pietrangelo, Martinez in subsequent trades.  The team they gave now barely resembles the team they drafted in the ED 

Agree that McPhee did a great job. I also think some other GM's did not do a great job dealing with Vegas..

Yeah but the team they originally drafted (including trades) made it to the final in the first season.

Also look here

Forwards

Palat, Voracek, van Riemsdyk, McCann, Bailey, Gourde, Donskoi, Niederreiter, Eberle, Killorn, Tarasenko, Drouin, Tanev, Athanasiou, Zucker.

Defencemen

Giordano, Weber, Subban, Shattenkirk, Scandella, Gostisbehere, Dunn, Zadorov, Butcher, Schultz, Dillon, de Haan, Lauzon, Bean, Stecher, Gudas, Soucy, Pettersson, Dermott, DeMelo, Russell.

Goaltenders

Subban, Bishop, Koskinen, Quick, Kahkonen, Price, Murray, DeSmith, Jones, Holtby, Vanecek.

Not a fan of the word elite but I guess if you pick Giordano, Weber, Subban, Shattenkirk, Zadorov your D is pretty much elite. Trade one retained for a center

and the team is set. Add Price. Also some of the available forwards are elite. 

Anyway I wouldn't care so much if those expansion teams would be in the east. But they are BOTH in our Division. Canucks are rebuilding since 5-8 years

and I don't really see a chance to beat Vegas or Seattle. Then add McJesus and it looks like we might not even make the Playoffs even though our core

is starting to get to their prime.. Say whatever you want but I don't like this at all!

23 minutes ago, Nathancanuck said:

Agree that McPhee did a great job. I also think some other GM's did not do a great job dealing with Vegas..

Yeah but the team they originally drafted (including trades) made it to the final in the first season.

Also look here

Forwards

Palat, Voracek, van Riemsdyk, McCann, Bailey, Gourde, Donskoi, Niederreiter, Eberle, Killorn, Tarasenko, Drouin, Tanev, Athanasiou, Zucker.

Defencemen

Giordano, Weber, Subban, Shattenkirk, Scandella, Gostisbehere, Dunn, Zadorov, Butcher, Schultz, Dillon, de Haan, Lauzon, Bean, Stecher, Gudas, Soucy, Pettersson, Dermott, DeMelo, Russell.

Goaltenders

Subban, Bishop, Koskinen, Quick, Kahkonen, Price, Murray, DeSmith, Jones, Holtby, Vanecek.

Not a fan of the word elite but I guess if you pick Giordano, Weber, Subban, Shattenkirk, Zadorov your D is pretty much elite. Trade one retained for a center

and the team is set. Add Price. Also some of the available forwards are elite. 

Anyway I wouldn't care so much if those expansion teams would be in the east. But they are BOTH in our Division. Canucks are rebuilding since 5-8 years

and I don't really see a chance to beat Vegas or Seattle. Then add McJesus and it looks like we might not even make the Playoffs even though our core

is starting to get to their prime.. Say whatever you want but I don't like this at all!

You do understand that Seattle has to work within the cap right?  They couldn’t draft that team if they wanted too.

Also , The Pacific looks to be the weakest division by far this coming season. So if Vancouver  can’t make the playoffs that says more about their management than it does about the expansion draft.  Vancouver lost no one of note in the Vegas draft (Sbisa) and it looks like they’ll come out unscathed again this time.  

Edited by qwijibo