The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

Just now, iinatcc said:

I think the best way to know the actual value of OEL is to ask yourself. If let's say OEL was part of the Oilers how would you be seeing him a player and the value of his contract.

Pretty sure everyone's initial reaction will be being laughing at the Oilers 

Yup.

This is what I mean by denial... we are Canucks fans so it's hard to view our own team through objective lenses.

If OEL was on the Oilers, we'd be laughing eternally.

The truth is that OEL is declining and doesn't have the footspeed to be an effective top four defenseman anymore. I think he would do well in a third pairing/leadership role, but he's being paid $7M.

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

Boeser and Garland both have age on their side in a trade. Its not like we are trading guys over the hump in terms of their peak. Boeser is 25, Garland is 26, both still have years of peak athletic performance ahead of them. There is a much better chance they bounce back than skydive off a cliff. Neither are locked in long term and with some retention, can be easily moved to gain picks or a prospect. Demko is a very valuable asset and if we are rebuilding, Silovs is the future. I know there is a ton of hype around him and Clarke really likes him a lot. 
As for JT Miller, they missed the boat last year, same for Boeser really.

Boeser's prime years is now and the fact he hasn't improved much since the shortened season doesn't really bode confidence he will get any better (at least not in Vancouver) . As a Canuck I think this is really just what Boeser is now. I think we are too optimistic on Boeser at this point if we expect him to turn another gear all of a sudden. 

10 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

Thank god people here have a brain - it's so refreshing to see that some people on here are still sensible with their takes. Kudos to you.

People always act like JB was left with NOTHING and that he had to build from the ground up.

Yeah no, MG totally didn't leave this team with Horvat (future #1A/B C),  Tanev (future #2/3), Markstrom (future 1G) and a plethora of assets to trade from including: Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Edler, Hamhuis, Hansen, Higgins, Garrison, Kassian, Lack and even the Sedins.

The overall value JB got out of the existing assets on the team was so freakin' bad.  

Kesler - 1st, Sbisa, Bonino -> 1st became McCann, would have been a good trade if we just kept him. Bonino for Sutter and then signing Sutter to an extension was just pure buffonery. Sbisa will be forever in Canucks history as folklore for being so freakin' bad.

Burrows -> Dahlen (lol)

Bieksa -> 2nd round pick 

Edler -> nothing - rode out his prime and never sold at max value

Hamhuis - > botched trade deadline...Hamhuis played another 4 years after this

Hansen - > Goldobin (lol)

Higgins -> nothing

Lack -> 3rd round pick

Garrison -> 2nd round pick

Kassian -> Prust (lol)

Sedins -> nothing

So out of all the assets on this team, we managed to get a couple mid picks, and some nobody prospects/young players. Truly dreadful asset management.

Imagine selling Edler at his prime? We would have gotten multiple firsts/prospects. 

Imagine trading the Sedins in the last couple years of their deal? We would have gotten multiple firsts/prospects?

Imagine selling Higgins and Hamhuis when they should have been sold? We would have gotten multiple picks/prospects.

I suspect most EA NHL GMs would have handled this better than Jim Benning.

Edler and the Sedins had full no trades with zero desire to move.  The rest of those players?

You’re talking about leaving a 5 dollar bill on the sidewalk and scoffing line he should have been a millionaire… not to mention as if you aren’t the type that would have been excited over Dahen and Goldobin.  

Just now, JohnTavares said:

Yup.

This is what I mean by denial... we are Canucks fans so it's hard to view our own team through objective lenses.

If OEL was on the Oilers, we'd be laughing eternally.

The truth is that OEL is declining and doesn't have the footspeed to be an effective top four defenseman anymore. I think he would do well in a third pairing/leadership role, but he's being paid $7M.

So what’s your friggin’ point?  We are Canuck fans.  Or are we?  Some appear not to be.  Look at your poster name!  Are you a Canuck fan and only a Canuck fan?  Or are you a LOSER Leaf fan?  That’s what this thread is about, right?  About being a fan who likes vets their club and hates the rest.  It’s fine to be critical of our team, but as a fan of our team.  And not coming here as a fan of another team.  

#hateallothers

• Like 2

Just now, Alflives said:

So what’s your friggin’ point?  We are Canuck fans.  Or are we?  Some appear not to be.  Look at your poster name!  Are you a Canuck fan and only a Canuck fan?  Or are you a LOSER Leaf fan?  That’s what this thread is about, right?  About being a fan who likes vets their club and hates the rest.  It’s fine to be critical of our team, but as a fan of our team.  And not coming here as a fan of another team.  

#hateallothers

@-DLC-

Deb?  Paging Deb.

41 minutes ago, dougieL said:

The league will only get faster over the next four years, and I don't see OEL magically picking up a step. His lack of speed has already been quite evident this season.

There’s tons of older, slower d men who make it work.  But they thrive in structured systems.  I wouldn’t expect him to look good in the fire drill we run every game day. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He'd be best defenceman signed at a bargain considering how much of a hellhole Edmonton is.

Ok ask yourself another question. If you weren't a Canucks fan let's say would you be happy if your team takes OEL's contract?

I am asking because an honest answer let's you see things objectively (see my thread :lol:)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Edler and the Sedins had full no trades with zero desire to move.  The rest of those players?

You’re talking about leaving a 5 dollar bill on the sidewalk and scoffing line he should have been a millionaire… not to mention as if you aren’t the type that would have been excited over Dahen and Goldobin.  

LOL. You know it's part of the GM's job to navigate NTC/NMCs right?

image.png.11820e75e055442f365424d197f98ff6.png

You know who signed Edler to an extension with a FULL NMC in his last 2 years in Vancouver?  Yeah take a wild guess buddy.

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

Ok ask yourself another question. If you weren't a Canucks fan let's say would you be happy if your team takes OEL's contract?

I am asking because an honest answer let's you see things objectively (see my thread :lol:)

Some people either won't get it or are in denial.  It's ok - it's not our job to change their opinions.

2 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

@-DLC-

Deb?  Paging Deb.

Seems like you’re trolling here and the looking to report the real Canuck fans.  It’s a Canuck’s board, and not a LOSER Leaf board.  Why in the heck are you posting here, when clearly you’re a Leaf fan who hates us?  

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

There’s tons of older, slower d men who make it work.  But they thrive in structured systems.  I wouldn’t expect him to look good in the fire drill we run every game day. 

He's a veteran and former captain of an NHL Franchise and wears an A in his Jersey. If he can't be one of those people that can bring structure to the team than why even acquire him?

• Cheers 1

Just now, iinatcc said:

Depends on team needs.  If the team was in a contending position and had a need, I'd be interested.  

1 minute ago, JohnTavares said:

Some people either won't get it or are in denial.  It's ok - it's not our job to change their opinions.

We get it!  But we don’t need other teams fans coming to our board to rub true Canuck’s fans noses in it.  This is classic trolling.  Why are you on our board, when clearly you’re a Leaf fan and hate us? 

2 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

He's a veteran and former captain of an NHL Franchise and wears an A in his Jersey. If he can't be one of those people that can bring structure to the team than why even acquire him?

Thank god.

Some people want to baby OEL like he's a 21 year old defenseman out of college or something.

OEL should be the type of player to provide structure, leadership and veteran presence/stability.  It's not the other way around.

He's supposed to be part of the solution.  He is currently not - he's very clearly part of the problem right now.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We get it!  But we don’t need other teams fans coming to our board to rub true Canuck’s fans noses in it.  This is classic trolling.  Why are you on our board, when clearly you’re a Leaf fan and hate us? 

@-DLC-

Can you please do something about this?  Dude has been harassing me for years about my username.

I understand if you turn a blind eye, gotta keep the regulars happy.

Edited by JohnTavares

5 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

How in the heck are true blue and green bleeding fans supposed to “see things objectively”?  Fan is short for fanatic, right?  Either you’re a fanatic (for this club) or you love key other clubs equally.  Then that’s not a fanatic, right?  

Just now, JohnTavares said:

@-DLC-

Can you please do something about this?  Dude has been harassing me for years about my username.

Just answer the question?  Why are you using a Leafs player name as your user name?  Are you trolling to get true Canuck fans  riled so you can report them?  That’s trolling.  It’s our board, not the Leafs.  

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

He's a veteran and former captain of an NHL Franchise and wears an A in his Jersey. If he can't be one of those people that can bring structure to the team then why even acquire him?

That’s not how it works on a team… and who’s saying he isn’t trying? He looked good last year when the team was playing better.  He looks worse this year along with the whole team.  

That’s as much a pattern as “he’s getting older so he’s getting worse.” 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

12 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Why would we spend assets and all this cap space to acquire a slow and aging dman who can only play within a certain type of system instead of being someone who can actually provide the structure we need?

10 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

LOL. You know it's part of the GM's job to navigate NTC/NMCs right?

image.png.11820e75e055442f365424d197f98ff6.png

You know who signed Edler to an extension with a FULL NMC in his last 2 years in Vancouver?  Yeah take a wild guess buddy.

Yeah, and he had one going into that deal.  You give him another so he signs with you.

Otherwise he walks for nothing. 

and you’re the one who named the twins on there.  What contending team was going to have 12 mil in cap space for a couple of defensive liabilities to shelter and trot out for PP2 duties.

For a guy who seems to think it’s easy, you really haven’t put a lot of thought into it. 

• Cheers 2