The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

On 1/3/2022 at 10:27 AM, Rush17 said:

The natural comparison that comes to mind for me for Miro. Is Alexander Semin. I could be completely wrong but that's the comparison that came to me naturally. Extremely talented but not necessarily a play driver. It sounds like HoH has seen a ton more footage then me. I'm curious what you guys think of that comparison. That is who he reminds me of.

Meh. Not the worst comparison ever I guess. I remember Semin as being more of a slick, dazzling stickhandler. Miro is more of a straight-line, north-south power winger. Ilya Kovalchuk is the best and most common comparison I've heard. Miro is such a complicated, inconsistent and multifaceted player, so it's hard to come up with a good comparison. Kovalchuk is probably about as close as you're gonna get.

I've also mentioned he has elements of Jerome Iginla and Evander Kane. Of course he's never going to have Evander Kane's level of bite, but when he's at his best, the way Miro just lowers his shoulder and comes flying down the wing with defenders hanging off him is very reminiscent of Kane at his best. And like Kane, Miro is going to be a fantasy MVP in leagues that include hits and shots. I recall he came storming onto the scene in MHL as a rookie with 13 shots and 11 hits in his first 3 games. Finished with 69 shots and 40 hits in 20 games.

I mention Jerome Igina for one particualr reason. I've talked much about the Jeckyl and Hyde nature of Miro's game, and I'm sure many of us remember the popular narrative around Iginla that he was something of a sleeping/friendly giant. As an opponent, you never wanted to wake him up or get him angry, because he would take his game to another level when he started getting involved physically. That's what I noticed about Miro in my few VHL viewings this year. He was invisible his first 4 periods of the season. But late in the 1st period of his second game, he took a big hit and got roughed up after the whistle, and he came to life after that. Started getting a little more involved physically and just got better and better over the course of the next couple games.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Very interesting tidbit in an interview with our new assistant coach, Scott Walker.  Turns out that he's a part owner of Guelph Storm in the OHL.  

Matthew Poitras is just one example of a good draft eligible player that's on the Storm, so I'm curious if we will have a bit more of an inside scoop on those players and end up taking a chance on one in this upcoming draft.  

Anyone with some insight as the what kind of prospect or where Christian Kyrou might go in the upcoming draft?

Brother or Blues Jordan Kyrou, Christian is listed on eliteprospects as a 5'11 183lb RHD who has 5g 15a in 25gp with the Erie Otters of the OHL, the same team as Canuck 6th round pick Connor Lockhart.

With the blood lines and position alone I would think depending on the round he is projected to go it is 1 of many players we should consider. I am hoping we draft heavy on C & RHD this upcoming draft. Hope we can add a couple extra picks if we move out Halak and maybe someone else at the TDL.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 1/6/2022 at 8:18 AM, Canuckster86 said:

Anyone with some insight as the what kind of prospect or where Christian Kyrou might go in the upcoming draft?

Brother or Blues Jordan Kyrou, Christian is listed on eliteprospects as a 5'11 183lb RHD who has 5g 15a in 25gp with the Erie Otters of the OHL, the same team as Canuck 6th round pick Connor Lockhart.

With the blood lines and position alone I would think depending on the round he is projected to go it is 1 of many players we should consider. I am hoping we draft heavy on C & RHD this upcoming draft. Hope we can add a couple extra picks if we move out Halak and maybe someone else at the TDL.

I would think late 2nd early 3rd round but with the name I think you need to pick him before the St Louis Blues 2nd round pick. Jordan Kyrou has 33 points in 30 games this year so they might want to make him happy and bring in his brother. However at the same time I can’t see them doing that with a 1rst rounder.

Lucas Edmonds do people draft him if he’s available with our 3rd round pick? He’ll be 21 before the draft but the kid is putting together a very impressive season in the OHL. He has 52 points in 25 games and the next closest guy on his team has 34 points. There’s still 43 games left to play and obviously plug in statistics won’t be how it finishes but he’s on pace for a 140 point season.

16 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

There's really not much to go on. He seems to be having a very good season. Looks like he didn't play last year and was pretty ineffective as a 15 year old which is pretty normal. Maybe there's someone in the Connor Lockheart thread that may have some insight. Admittedly I haven't been watching many Otters games this year. Did a quick google.... Stats are intriguing. Seems to have missed last years draft by 1 day though, there maybe something there in the late rounds. 

Might be worth watching a few Otters games. Wouldn't mind seeing what  Lockhearts up to. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Lucas Edmonds do people draft him if he’s available with our 3rd round pick? He’ll be 21 before the draft but the kid is putting together a very impressive season in the OHL. He has 52 points in 25 games and the next closest guy on his team has 34 points. There’s still 43 games left to play and obviously plug in statistics won’t be how it finishes but he’s on pace for a 140 point season.

For me, it's a tough call here. There are many overagers that excel in juniors and not amount to much in the next level. I certainly wouldn't use a 3rd rounder. Maybe a 6th/7th rounder if he's still available. But I think he could just as easily go undrafted.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

54 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

For me, it's a tough call here. There are many overagers that excel in juniors and not amount to much in the next level. I certainly wouldn't use a 3rd rounder. Maybe a 6th/7th rounder if he's still available. But I think he could just as easily go undrafted.

I thought that too about the overager flake outs but I find those guys tend to be the ones that are physically bigger and dominate. Edmonds is 5’11” 185 pounds he’s doing it with speed and skill. I think somebody might take him at the end of the 2nd round. If he’s there at our 3rd I’d like the pick.

Some dudes to watch. 

Jordan Dumais. https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/568363/jordan-dumais

He has united with L'hereux to absolutely tear up the Q this year. Undersized but not underestimated by me at least if he's around in the 3rd/4th/5th rounds where he's projected a few too many scouts have been passing around the Jamacian broccoli. 

Aleksanteri Kaskimaki https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/640621/aleksanteri-kaskimaki Flying somewhat under the radar. This kid scores goals and he does it from everywhere in many ways. He isn't just a pure finisher though he works hard all over the ice creating turnovers he isn't afraid to get his hands dirty. 

Oskar Asplund https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/509851/oskar-asplund Slick passing PMD embarrassed the J20 in his 7 games. He is looking very promising in the Allsvenskan.

Raul Yakupov https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/699971/raul-yakupov Yes the cousin of the great Nail. This kids a wild card. His 20g and 7a in the MHL is just a hilarious stat. Then you watch him and it makes sense never once did he even consider pass here.

It wouldn't shock me to see a team take him though haha. He's a total meme puck hog but he's damn good. To be clear I'm not advocating drafting him but he is entertaining. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

https://www.tsn.ca/shane-wright-nhl-draft-craig-button-1.1744645

Here's Craig's new draft rankings and boy things have fallen off hard for some prospects and rose immediately with others. Take it with a grain of salt because Button isn't always the best scout in the world.

Miroshnichenko down to 10

Lambert down to 18 (my boy getting no love)

Risers like Cooley, Kemell and Nemec (Damn, I wanted a chance for Nemec but oh well). I'll assume we are at 12-18 spot and I'd ok taking Mcgroarty, Geekie or Lambert should they be there based off his list.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, warrchief said:

Here's Craig's new draft rankings and boy things have fallen off hard for some prospects and rose immediately with others. Take it with a grain of salt because Button isn't always the best scout in the world.

Risers like Cooley, Kemell and Nemec (Damn, I wanted a chance for Nemec but oh well). I'll assume we are at 12-18 spot and I'd ok taking Mcgroarty, Geekie or Lambert should they be there based off his list.

Surprised to see Casey at 50 

5 hours ago, warrchief said:

Doubt we ever had a chance at Nemec but I'd have happily taken Jiricek. Now even be looks like he might be rising out of reach.

Maybe if we package our first with the one we get in a potential Miller trade...

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Doubt we ever had a chance at Nemec but I'd have happily taken Jiricek. Now even be looks like he might be rising out of reach.

Maybe if we package our first with the one we get in a potential Miller trade...

That's ok we will get Casey with the 2nd we get in the Brock Boeser trade.  And Chesley in the 3rd per Button.B)

But in all seriousness not having a 2nd hurts. We really need that Lian Bichsel, Maverick Lamoureux, Owen Pickering, Big body big minute shut down D.  

11 minutes ago, hammertime said:

That's ok we will get Casey with the 2nd we get in the Brock Boeser trade.  And Chesley in the 3rd per Button.B)

But in all seriousness not having a 2nd hurts. We really need that Lian Bichsel, Maverick Lamoureux, Owen Pickering, Big body big minute shut down D.  

We may yet add one at the TDL.

On 1/5/2022 at 8:39 AM, HighOnHockey said:

Meh. Not the worst comparison ever I guess. I remember Semin as being more of a slick, dazzling stickhandler. Miro is more of a straight-line, north-south power winger. Ilya Kovalchuk is the best and most common comparison I've heard. Miro is such a complicated, inconsistent and multifaceted player, so it's hard to come up with a good comparison. Kovalchuk is probably about as close as you're gonna get.

I've also mentioned he has elements of Jerome Iginla and Evander Kane. Of course he's never going to have Evander Kane's level of bite, but when he's at his best, the way Miro just lowers his shoulder and comes flying down the wing with defenders hanging off him is very reminiscent of Kane at his best. And like Kane, Miro is going to be a fantasy MVP in leagues that include hits and shots. I recall he came storming onto the scene in MHL as a rookie with 13 shots and 11 hits in his first 3 games. Finished with 69 shots and 40 hits in 20 games.

I mention Jerome Igina for one particualr reason. I've talked much about the Jeckyl and Hyde nature of Miro's game, and I'm sure many of us remember the popular narrative around Iginla that he was something of a sleeping/friendly giant. As an opponent, you never wanted to wake him up or get him angry, because he would take his game to another level when he started getting involved physically. That's what I noticed about Miro in my few VHL viewings this year. He was invisible his first 4 periods of the season. But late in the 1st period of his second game, he took a big hit and got roughed up after the whistle, and he came to life after that. Started getting a little more involved physically and just got better and better over the course of the next couple games.

Semin was a great player when he was on, which was too far in between most times. He was basically Kovalev with a better shot

On 1/12/2022 at 1:56 PM, warrchief said:

Not seeing much for D in the first round. Second round looks flush with them - especially in the 40's and 50's. Would be nice to still have our 2nd. Not sure how, but would be nice if trader Jim can add one or two picks in that range..

5 hours ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

Not seeing much for D in the first round. Second round looks flush with them - especially in the 40's and 50's. Would be nice to still have our 2nd. Not sure how, but would be nice if trader Jim can add one or two picks in that range..

A lot of the D available in the First are Right handers

Seamus Casey outside the first round is absurd to me. Also I get Salomonsson hasn't been performing to expectations, but 62nd seems really excessive. He has some flaws to work out for sure, but kid still has just about the highest offensive upside among any defenseman in the draft.