The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

10 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I think you have to take him at 15 if he’s there as he’s too talented.  Sounds like his health is in a better state too.  There will be a couple good options at 15 if we don’t move up.  

I think I’d take the following players in this order if they are there:

Miroshnichenko

Mintyukov

Mateychuk

Kaspar

Lambert

Kulich

I think there's a chance Lambert could be a surprise top 5.  His numbers don't look as good because he plays for a poor team, but every time he plays best on best in his age group he's clearly a special player.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We need to get a couple second rounders.  Garland?

Then take that Dumais kid out of the Q with the higher of those two picks.  Unless, of course, he’s gone.  Then pick D.

He's only 5"8 165lbs ... pass

take a RD

11 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I think you have to take him at 15 if he’s there as he’s too talented.  Sounds like his health is in a better state too.  There will be a couple good options at 15 if we don’t move up.  

I think I’d take the following players in this order if they are there:

Miroshnichenko

Mintyukov

Mateychuk

Kaspar

Lambert

Kulich

Apparently, he is planning to start training again soon so he may move back up the board...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I think there's a chance Lambert could be a surprise top 5.  His numbers don't look as good because he plays for a poor team, but every time he plays best on best in his age group he's clearly a special player.

Reminds me a bit of how Atu Raty dropped last year. I really wanted him, Isles got him in the second and now looking like a steal / player he was before he dropped because of a tough year in a pro league during his draft year...

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

There seems to be a few players that are ranked a bit lower for various reasons (Lambert, Miroshnichenko, Yurov, Trikozov, Casey). Would it be worth taking a chance?

I think Casey is a reach at 15. Miro is cleared to resume training I can't see him being there but I think you have to take the chance if he is. Yurov would be intriguing, he seems to be a good overall hockey player ... just not exceptional at anything. I'm leery of the Lambert bust potential but I think he's likely gone by then from a team who fell in love with him last year. Trikozov appears to be a hard working get it done player but I think there will be better options.

So yes lol. I would take Miro and maybe Yurov but would be seeing what else is available before selecting the rest.

I'm liking Kulich a lot if he's there. Lots of potential LD's around our pick. Actually not a horrible idea to have a replacement for OEL in the pipeline. Timing would be right in line for that as OEL comes to the end of his contract.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, stawns said:

Hughes is great, but he's a couple tiers below Makar, easily.

Holtz was a #7 overall who just scored a ppg as a 20 year old in the AHL and has been a consistent scorer at every level.  He could bust, but it's very unlikely.  It's much more likely that he will continue his upward progresion and have a productive NHL career........his shot is, without a doubt, elite.

Slakovsky could already play in the NHL and has been dominant in men's tournaments already.  He's got the size and skill to be a Mikko Rantanen.

Severson is a big body, mobile dman who plays very, very well at both ends of the ice and plays 24 mins a night.  Five on five he's just a rock solid two way dman and on the PP, he's not spectacular but he is steady.  However, he is an outstanding, even elite penalty killer and that is every bit as valuable as a pp performer and something the team really needs in a bad way.  So you may not think he's elite, by your metrics, but he is elite at things that this team is lacking........he's UFA after next season and even with a raise, he will be nicely cost controlled, which helps bring some balance to the roster as the young guys start to mature and become more expensive.

Again, that's the absolute very least I think they'd get for QH and possible they'd get anpther pick or two on top of it, but they need players who can step into the lineup right away as the focus, not future picks.

Fair points. I wouldn't agree Hughes is a 'couple of tiers' below Makar. I put him at 1/2 a tier below simply because of size. Makar has a great partner on D and an incredible team he's playing with. Other than a better shot, and having a size advantage I don't see him as that much better. And Hughes, honestly, see's the ice better / distributes the puck better (probably because he had to learn to do so because of his size and lack of shot).

But, put Hughes on Colorado and he's in the 80 pt range no doubt. Colorado was the 4th highest goals for in the league (almost 3rd, one behind StL). We were 17th

Col 308 goals vs Van 246...that's a big difference...

Based on his stats 68 pts out of a total of 246 goals that means Quinn was in on 26% of our goals.

A reminder he missed 6 games so its probably closer to 30%

Now apply that 26% to the 308 goals Colorado scored, which is actually unfair, as if he was playing with that level of talent he's probably well above 26% but lets leave it there.

26% x 308 = 80pts.

Makar had 86 pts. 

Makar's 86 pts are 28% of Col total goals 

The numbers alone show Quinn is not 2 tiers below, but actually quite close.

Makar only had a 2% differential on a MUCH better and MUCH more offensive team.

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I would take Miro and maybe Yurov but would be seeing what else is available before selecting the rest.

Yes, I would agree with this. I have a feeling Lambert, Kasper, Miro and Korchinski will be taken before #15, but that means some players could also fall.  Canucks may have a tough decision, there could be quite a few good players still on the board at #15  (Yurov, Nazar, Lekkerimaki, Mateychuk), then having to choose.

Who knows how it'll play out, but there could be some surprises. Would be fun of they traded up. Bold. 

• Cheers 1

I really hope for Korchinski at 15. The guy reads the play so well and transitions the puck amazingly. Good skater, good size. 

I really like Snuggerud, Nazar and Lambert too. 

definitely looks like a good player will slide to us at 15 regardless of who is picked. 

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yes, I would agree with this. I have a feeling Lambert, Kasper, Miro and Korchinski will be taken before #15, but that means some players could also fall.  Canucks may have a tough decision, there could be quite a few good players still on the board at #15  (Yurov, Nazar, Lekkerimaki, Mateychuk), then having to choose.

Who knows how it'll play out, but there could be some surprises. Would be fun of they traded up. Bold. 

Yeah I'm also hoping we trade up for the betterment of the team but the number 15 pick is so exciting too. So many potential players and so many ways it could go. The draft itself would be super fun to watch just to see how it plays out. Of course we have a brand new group so we would get some insight to their process after the picks as well.

Mateychuk is interesting. We could really use a Dman that has a good shot and scores goals himself. That really changes the dynamic. Quinn is awesome but not much of a goal scoring threat. I've heard Mateychuk almost plays like a 4th forward. We'd give other teams nightmares with our left 1-2 LD attack.

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I'm also hoping we trade up for the betterment of the team but the number 15 pick is so exciting too. So many potential players and so many ways it could go. The draft itself would be super fun to watch just to see how it plays out. Of course we have a brand new group so we would get some insight to their process after the picks as well.

Mateychuk is interesting. We could really use a Dman that has a good shot and scores goals himself. That really changes the dynamic. Quinn is awesome but not much of a goal scoring threat. I've heard Mateychuk almost plays like a 4th forward. We'd give other teams nightmares with our left 1-2 LD attack.

Yeah, Mateychuk could be the BPA at #15, great skater, smart, good D. Lacks some size, but he should grow/develop over the years as well. Would the Canucks need Hughes, Rathbone and Mateychuk?  All mobile Dmen.

29 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

Fair points. I wouldn't agree Hughes is a 'couple of tiers' below Makar. I put him at 1/2 a tier below simply because of size. Makar has a great partner on D and an incredible team he's playing with. Other than a better shot, and having a size advantage I don't see him as that much better. And Hughes, honestly, see's the ice better / distributes the puck better (probably because he had to learn to do so because of his size and lack of shot).

But, put Hughes on Colorado and he's in the 80 pt range no doubt. Colorado was the 4th highest goals for in the league (almost 3rd, one behind StL). We were 17th

Col 308 goals vs Van 246...that's a big difference...

Based on his stats 68 pts out of a total of 246 goals that means Quinn was in on 26% of our goals.

A reminder he missed 6 games so its probably closer to 30%

Now apply that 26% to the 308 goals Colorado scored, which is actually unfair, as if he was playing with that level of talent he's probably well above 26% but lets leave it there.

26% x 308 = 80pts.

Makar had 86 pts. 

Makar's 86 pts are 28% of Col total goals 

The numbers alone show Quinn is not 2 tiers below, but actually quite close.

Makar only had a 2% differential on a MUCH better and MUCH more offensive team.

Do not get me wrong, I love Hughes, but he's well below Makar, regardless of team.  The strength of his game is his skating and passing and Makar easily equals those and I'd say he's superior in both elements, but let's say they are close enough to even.

However, Hughes has a below average shot and it shows in his goal totals and this is where Makar is far, far superior to Hughes.  

The defensive aspect really isn't close to me, though a lot of that comes down to size, but despite the myth, in this case size does matter!  

Hughes is an elite player, no question, but Makar is a generational dman........it's like comparing Stamkos to Ovechkin, imo.

• Cheers 4

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Do not get me wrong, I love Hughes, but he's well below Makar, regardless of team.  The strength of his game is his skating and passing and Makar easily equals those and I'd say he's superior in both elements, but let's say they are close enough to even.

However, Hughes has a below average shot and it shows in his goal totals and this is where Makar is far, far superior to Hughes.  

The defensive aspect really isn't close to me, though a lot of that comes down to size, but despite the myth, in this case size does matter!  

Hughes is an elite player, no question, but Makar is a generational dman........it's like comparing Stamkos to Ovechkin, imo.

Good comparison model !

Hughes is OUR generational D-Man but he isn’t A generational D-Man. He is elite for sure. 

As you said, Makar does everything at equal or better ability than Hughes. 

Makar could score 25-30 goals a year for the next 5-10 years. That’s crazy in this day and age. 

• Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, Mateychuk could be the BPA at #15, great skater, smart, good D. Lacks some size, but he should grow/develop over the years as well. Would the Canucks need Hughes, Rathbone and Mateychuk?  All mobile Dmen.

Probably not ... but holy crap that would be one hell of a trifecta! Looks like Rathbone is going to get every chance this year so we'll see what we got there. 5"11, 190. Not terrible but you're right size needs to be taken into consideration. Pickering would be interesting if we acquire a later pick somehow but then we should be looking at Chesney or Casey there.

53 minutes ago, Dutch_Canuck said:

I really hope for Korchinski at 15. The guy reads the play so well and transitions the puck amazingly. Good skater, good size. 

I really like Snuggerud, Nazar and Lambert too. 

definitely looks like a good player will slide to us at 15 regardless of who is picked. 

Just curious what you're seeing in Snuggerud. Seems like a lame duck pick to me but I don't know much about him. :rolleyes:

Edited by Gawdzukes

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

team makes a difference and total points is what matters not only goals. I could argue the same on assists then

The analysis shows they are much closer than you perceived.

Edited by NucknAsia

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yeah I agree. It's no cut to Hughes. Makar is just that good. It's all just labels anyway. These players aren't changing teams anytime soon. The goal he scored the other night was just pure skill that no other dman in the league possesses. Like wow, he almost outscored our entire team. That's massive.

image.png.451316e97ada3377725a97244a6b55f3.png

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Probably not ... but holy crap that would be one hell of a trifecta! Looks like Rathbone is going to get every chance this year so we'll see what we got there. 5"11, 190. Not terrible but you're right size needs to be taken into consideration. Pickering would be interesting if we acquire a later pick somehow but then we should be looking at Chesney or Casey there.

Just curious what you're seeing in Snuggerud. Seems like a lame duck pick to me but I don't know much. :rolleyes:

The Avs have Makar (5’11” - 187), Girard (5’10” - 170), Toews ( 6’1” 191), and Byram (6’1” 190).

Not exactly a big D core but they can all move the puck really well. And they balance it out with guys like Johnson, Manson and Macdermid.

Theres definitely room for multiple smaller puck movers but you’ve gotta have that balance which we have with guys like Schenn and Myers, but obviously we need more true stay at home guys to improve that balance.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

team makes a difference and total points is what matters not only goals. I could argue the same on assists then

The analysis shows they are much closer than you perceived.

Sorry, I think you're pushing sh!t uphill here.  There hasn't been a dman like Makar in a long, long time

13 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Just curious what you're seeing in Snuggerud. Seems like a lame duck pick to me but I don't know much. :rolleyes:

I really like his release. 
i listened to an interview with him, and he believes in his shot. 
He sounded coachable, and I believe with the development, he can be a player.
Who’s willing to fore check and setup his linemates, but wants the game on his stick and has the release to score.

• Thanks 1