The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

15 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think there will be a few of these moments in this draft. 

It should be entertaining, not just who the Canucks take, but ARI, DET etc. and all of the teams ahead of them. Canucks got lucky with Hughes and Podkolzin falling, maybe they get a little lucky again?

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree, Korchinski looks good, great skater, smart. I'd be happy if VAN got him, and in 3-4 years, Canucks could have Hughes, Korchinski and Rathbone on the left side. I believe Korchinski's stock has risen though, and he's now in Top 10 conversation. Canucks might not have a chance to get him. 

Considering the lack of prospects, should the Canucks trade down to acquire another Top 30-40 pick?  Two prospects are better than one. The rankings are also all over the place so VAN could still pick up two very good players. They need to build up that prospect pool quick. I'd be happy if they traded for another 1st rounder, or at least a 2nd. 

More prospects!

I beleive next year's draft is expected to be much deeper and is expected to be one of the best in recent history (ie some saying better than 2015 which was a crazy draft) . Personally, if we are trading players, I think we should be doing it for next year's draft or later this year/deadline for the 2023 draft. Rather have more shots in a deeper draft.

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Like 1

I was thinking before that VAN needs a D at #15 no matter what, but I also think they need a couple of high end Cs developing too. Karlsson being signed is great, but he'll most likely play in Abby next season with Bains. Not too much developing at C after Karlsson. (Focht and Zlodeyev) 

D - Korchinski, Mintyukov

C - Gauthier, Kasper, McGroarty, Kulich

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think there will be a few of these moments in this draft. 

Care to take some guesses? I could see Kasper going crazy high if some team thinks they see a little offensive upside (Kadri?). Been hearing about Bichsel and Rinzel as late risers could sneak into the mid-first. I think Casey is a kid with wide range. If some team really digs what he's doing, could go mid-teens, but I could reasonably see him falling deep into the 2nd. A couple of the small forwards are gonna fall mad far 'cus teams keep passing on them for NHL bodies. Savoie? Kemell? Nazar? Howard? Mesar?

On 5/25/2022 at 12:36 PM, hammertime said:

So I think I've beaten the piss out of the 1st rounders and seeing as we don't have a 2nd...... Yet! Who's got 3rd round targets?  

I'm looking at.

Simon Forsmark Solid and responsible with good vision and passing makes crisp breakouts. Probably goes late 2nd. He's split the season between the SHL and SWE-JR

Topi Ronni C Fantastic at both ends of the ice. Has speed to burn and he's really strong on pucks. Doesn't mind getting his nose dirty. Impressed the hell out of me at the u18.

Otto Salin RHD Kind of a big swing here he's got huge offensive upside and glaring defensive deficiencies he can skate himself out of trouble or into it. He's a fun player to watch. Boom Bust potential.

Julian Lutz Wild card hasn't played much hockey but he's been really really good in the few viewings I've had of him. I think if he'd played more he would be considered a late 1st. Do teams shy away due to small sample size. I doubt it but I'd take the risk with a mid 2nd where I think he will go.

Artyom Duda LHD Absolutely crushed it in the MHL this year posting nearly a PPG. He's another boom bust guy. I'm all for taking chances in the later rounds.

Noah Warren He'll be gone but its a nice thought. Big RHD He prob tops out as a 5/6 guy but he's what you want to have there. Square peg square hole. 

John Babcock I'm going local on this one I've had the chance to watch a few Rockets games this year living in the Okanagan. He's tough as nails and can play at both ends of the rink posting 0.4 PPG and a +28 in 57 games. Here's Reid Schaefer(Refer to my previous posts about him in the last few pages really like him late 1st early 2nd)  and Babcock going at it like rockem sockem robots. He's in good hands in Rocket's D factory. 

If that's your thing here's his fight card https://www.hockeyfights.com/players/n31613

Maybe risk an overeager in the late rounds?

Logan Morrison 19 here's what EP has to say Morrison supports the puck really well and creates takeaways frequently. His play away from the puck was good, as he shut down Rossi for the majority of the game. Offensively, he drove the middle of the ice and the net well, drawing a penalty on one occasion. Morrison is consistently involved in the play and never shied away from physicality, especially on the forecheck. -EliteProspects 2020 NHL Draft Guide

Put up11G 21 PTS in10 playoff games  and 100 reg season pts just saying.   

Lucas Edmonds 21  He's been on radar for a while now. Came over to the OHL this year and wrecked it posting 113 points in 68 games for Kingston ya he's 21 but with a late round pick you start turning stones. He's raising a few eyebrows. 

Maybe Ian Clarke likes a goalie? The Finns look good Topias Leionen and Niklas Kokko. 

Who you got?

I'm a big fan of both of Hockey Finland's top pair, Elmeri Laakso (LD) and Kasper Kulonummi (RD). Of course, early on in the spring U18s Aron Kiviharju took over as number one guy, but that whole Finnish D-core is likely to be drafted this year or next (or 2024). At younger levels, Laakso used to go end-to-end and walk the offensive blueline like a magician. So much skill, so much poise. Not sure what round I'd take him, but he'd be on my list. Maybe could wait til 5th or 6th to get him?

And a couple guys who've fallen off a lot of radars, but still a lot to like about Danil Zhilkin and Arseni Koromyslov. Seem like close to locks to be NHL players in some capacity. NHL bodies with enough skill and hockey sense to play in the league. Could be a little upside on both too.

I really, really like Tim Almgren. Thought he had an outstanding Hlinka and 5NU18s in the fall, but he fell down the depth chart by spring U18s. Lekkerimaki, Ohgren, Ostlund, Carlsson had firmly established themselves as the four consistent go-to guys. Almgren was fighting for time in the top six with Bystedt, Stenberg, Pettersson... Almgren was always a lock in the bumper on the PP at every tournament though. Such subtle hands and a laser of a shot. Would love to grab him if he's there in the 5th or 6th. Maybe 4th?

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Care to take some guesses? I could see Kasper going crazy high if some team thinks they see a little offensive upside (Kadri?). Been hearing about Bichsel and Rinzel as late risers could sneak into the mid-first. I think Casey is a kid with wide range. If some team really digs what he's doing, could go mid-teens, but I could reasonably see him falling deep into the 2nd. A couple of the small forwards are gonna fall mad far 'cus teams keep passing on them for NHL bodies. Savoie? Kemell? Nazar? Howard? Mesar?

My guesses would be Bichsel, Kulich, Gaucher, Lorenz, Chesley that go way higher than expected. Maybe Bystedt as well.

Edited by Bure_Pavel

21 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree, Korchinski looks good, great skater, smart. I'd be happy if VAN got him, and in 3-4 years, Canucks could have Hughes, Korchinski and Rathbone on the left side. I believe Korchinski's stock has risen though, and he's now in Top 10 conversation. Canucks might not have a chance to get him. 

Considering the lack of prospects, should the Canucks trade down to acquire another Top 30-40 pick?  Two prospects are better than one. The rankings are also all over the place so VAN could still pick up two very good players. They need to build up that prospect pool quick. I'd be happy if they traded for another 1st rounder, or at least a 2nd. 

More prospects!

That left side has some insane potential. I’d be very on board. 

I think it’s wise to hold tight at 15. Inevitability a top 10 or fringe top 10 guy always falls and 15 is a spot where we can really get a good name still. I’d love to acquire more picks and strengthen our prospect pool but ultimately I do think in a spot like this in what looks to be a strong draft year, I think it’s best to hang tight. 

I will also note that given that a lot of these guys had less opportunity to showcase themselves given Covid and lack of games, I feel like there’s going to be a lot of mid and late round steals and more importantly probably a lot of late bloomers. I’m more interested in seeing if we can acquire an extra 2-4 picks after round 3 and try to find some steals. I’m hoping we can shed some cap and move guys like Dickinson and snag some extra picks in the process. 

#15 - Korchinski

#21 - (acquired from PIT in JT Miller trade) - (Cs) Mesar, McGroarty or Kulich

Then VAN can sign UFA (C) Malkin to 2 years, until the 2022 C is ready

Malkin

Pettersson

Horvat

Next up: Karlsson, then the 2022 (C) pick

Hughes

Korchinski

Rathbone

Left side would be set for the next 10-15 years. Maybe try to draft a RD with their 1st in 2023? (no idea who those guys would be)

16 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Kasper going 8-12, Kulich going top 16, Bichsel by 18 and I see 2 of Savoie, Kemmell and Nazar falling out of the top 12. Such an interesting year, very curious to see how it all pans out 

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I'd trade up for somebody with the speed, skill and IQ of Savoie. If people are concerned about size, Brayden Point was 5'9" and 161 lbs when he was drafted.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Now...correct me if I am wrong here but.

Does this read right?

To get a HIGH pick you have to give up a good player.

That doesn't sound like somsone looking to add a 2nd or 3rd round pick.  That sounds like someone who is on the phones looking to either move up or add a high pick.

Cough jersey/ottawa cough

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Now...correct me if I am wrong here but.

Does this read right?

To get a HIGH pick you have to give up a good player.

That doesn't sound like somsone looking to add a 2nd or 3rd round pick.  That sounds like someone who is on the phones looking to either move up or add a high pick.

Cough jersey/ottawa cough

I think it might be saying the opposite. That he doesn’t want to give up a good player just for a higher pick. The amount of times he’s said we don’t want to take a step back reaffirms that imo. That said it’s definitely worded in a way where either opinion can be reasonably argued so it’s up to one’s own interpretation.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Cheers 1

What are the tiers of this drafts 1st round?

my personal opinion is 1-5, 6-10, 11-21, 22-32

Top 5 are 
Wright

Cooley

Slafkovsky

Nemec

Jiricek

6-10

Savoie

Kemell

Lambert

Yurov

Lekkerimaki

11-21

Korchinski

Nazar

Kasper

Gauthier

Mintyukov

Kulich

Trikozov

Miroshnichenko

McGroarty

Geekie

Snuggerud

22-32

Mesar

Mateychuk

Bichsel

Luneau

DelBelBelluz

Pickering

Howard

Ohgren

Ostlund

Havelid

16 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Another name to keep an eye on:
Nolan Collins

Not flashy in the least, but lots of potential as a bottom 4 shutdown kind of D.

RD, 6.03, 194, Canadian kid ....and sounds like a diamond in the rough.. - definitely ticks all our boxes from this article.....nice find. Ranked 153 according to another article I found. 3/4th round pick. Love to see us take him with our 3rd.

https://www.thesudburystar.com/sports/local-sports/collins-coming-into-his-own-with-wolves

Quote:

He’s 6-3, 190 pounds, but what I really like about Nolan and how I think his game really translates to the next level is he’s a really good skater, a deceptive skater and he’s got good speed, and he’s also very intelligent. You watch the way he lifts the guy’s stick just before he gets the puck. He’s hard to forecheck against, because he’s got a lot of natural deception in his game and he’s able to skate and to get out of trouble. He doesn’t get beaten too often one on one and he’s physical, he’s got that other element in his game and he’s tough to play against, not the kind of guy who will back down from anybody.”

On his ranking - from another article

Collins, who did not appear on NHL Central’s mid-term or preliminary rankings or even its Players to Watch list, also made strides in the second half of the season, putting up the bulk of his 18 points after Christmas en route to a final ranking of 153rd among North American skaters.

The Whitby, Ont., resident also joined Goyette and Delic in representing Canada at the IIHF World Men’s Under-18 Championship in Germany last month.

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

26 and Under - on the team or on track to make team

Mobile (undersized) Dmen - Hughes, Rathbone

Defensive (with size) Dmen - ?

Cs - Pettersson, Karlsson

RW - Garland, Boeser, Lockwood, Klimovich

LW - Podkolzin, Hoglander, Bains, McDonough

some could drop

C - Savoie, Gauthier, Lambert, Kasper, Kulich, McGroarty, Mesar

D - Korchinski, Mintyukov, Bichsel, Pickering