The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Have you watched these players? From what I've seen of these players I would put Jiricek and Bichsel well ahead of Korchinski Minty, Matey. 

Bichsel is in my opinion the 3rd best D in the draft and it isn't close. He does more of what I hoped to see more of Edvinsson do last year. 

Size, speed, mean streak, defensive awareness, lil less offensive but that can be taught. Kids gonna be a powerhouse. Shoots left but plays right side in the SHL and looks right at home.

Yes I have watched the hilights of these players.

Kochinski looks head and shoulders above everyone offensively... plus he's a Canuck... the factor which can't be underestimated in the playoffs.

Bichsel looks big and awkward and out of position... do not see any signs of a high IQ.

Jiricek is a fine D... and may be comparable to Kochinski... but currently is rated so high there is very little chance of the Canucks getting him.

Kochinski on the other hand is not rated very high and therefore there is a decent chance he could either fall to the Canucks or be traded up for.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Yes I have watched the hilights of these players.

Kochinski looks head and shoulders above everyone offensively... plus he's a Canuck... the factor which can't be underestimated in the playoffs.

Bichsel looks big and awkward and out of position... do not see any signs of a high IQ.

Jiricek is a fine D... and may be comparable to Kochinski... but currently is rated so high there is very little chance of the Canucks getting him.

Kochinski on the other hand is not rated very high and therefore there is a decent chance he could either fall to the Canucks or be traded up for.

Thanks always appreciate the opinions of those who are making their own minds up watching the kids play. 

The fun of the draft is everyone sees different things in different players. Only time will tell. 

• Cheers 4

7 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

The record of this team recently and Bennings' management of defensive assets has been horrible.

Letting Tanev walk for nothing, letting Edler walk for nothing... etc.

D has to be the #1 focus for the new Staff.

Totally agree.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, hammertime said:

Kemell likes to mix it up. He gets under guys skin. I agree with your assessment that he may not be a 40g scorer due to separation speed. He's a bit of a Kadri light for me though. He plays the full game not just whistle to whistle. If he can gain a lil more jump in his step he could be a a home run. I think he will be a big game performer. 

Minty round and round we go. With Hughes a lock to be eating up all the PP1 time he may have a hard time finding his footing here. I like that he gets his shot through that's definately something we need on the blue line. We are far to easy to defend in the O zone with only OEL on the back end having a shot that needs to be respected. 

Need to watch more of Kemell. I'm taking a look at Lekkerimaki right now & the one thing I like is he skates better than Kemell. Who would you prefer?

On Minty; agree he doesn't fill a need but he might just be too good a player to pass up. If he's a better skating Sergachev, he'll be valuable anytime he's on the ice regardless who else you have. There's elements of Makar in how he can push pace. I think he'll be gone before us though.

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Need to watch more of Kemell. I'm taking a look at Lekkerimaki right now & the one thing I like is he skates better than Kemell. Who would you prefer?

On Minty; agree he doesn't fill a need but he might just be too good a player to pass up. If he's a better skating Sergachev, he'll be valuable anytime he's on the ice regardless who else you have. There's elements of Makar in how he can push pace. I think he'll be gone before us though.

I agree on Minty there's lots to like there. 

I'd take Kemell ahead of Lekkerimaki who's skating doesn't much impress me either and Kemell is grittier it's more of a matter of preference for style of player. I see Kemell trying to create more some may view that as making low % plays I more view it as areas to improve but at least the effort is there. Where I don't see Lekkerimaki as actively involved in the play. Different strokes they are both great snipers. Apples to apples I'll usually take the guy pushing and shoving and chirping between whistles. 

• Cheers 1

And Korchinski delivers in the goals and apples.

67 points this year from 4 goals and 61 assists.  In playoffs, 19 points from 6 goals and 13 assists.

He does have his defensive issues, but as has been mentioned, you can teach defense, you can't teach elite offensive skills.  (see Quinn Hughes, this year vs last year)

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2022/6/17/23144651/toronto-maple-leafs-2022-nhl-draft-profile-kevin-korchinski-offensive-puck-moving-defenseman

Also about Korchinski:

His birthday is June 21st...  which means he is on the younger side in qualifying for the draft crop... the cutoff is September 15.

Look at Jiricek's birthday... November 28th... he is nearly 7 months older than Korchinski... 7 months in a Junior player's development is an huge time period.

Same with Pavel Mintyukov, his birthday is November 25th... he is also on the older side for this draft.

And like I said... Korchinski is a Canadian boy... we need more of them... they show up in the playoffs.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Also about Korchinski:

His birthday is June 21st...  which means he is on the younger side in qualifying for the draft crop... the cutoff is September 15.

Look at Jiricek's birthday... November 28th... he is nearly 7 months older than Korchinski... 7 months in a Junior player's development is an huge time period.

Same with Pavel Mintyukov, his birthday is November 25th... he is also on the older side for this draft.

And like I said... Korchinski is a Canadian boy... we need more of them... they show up in the playoffs.

If we got Korchinski at 15 I'd be pleased with the pick. If we traded up for it yikes would hope JR knows what he's doing. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I think this team has to try to pick up a second strong defenseman in the draft.

What does everyone think about Kevin Korchinski?

Will he be around for the Canucks' pick?  Big question:  I think it is worthwhile trying to trade up for him.

Personally I think he is the best D available... watching him dangle and skate is amazing... he would be a real addition to the team.  He does everything well... shot, skate, pass, but also is decent defensively.  You can teach defense... (see Hughes 2021/2022 versus the previous year) you can't teach the Offensive skills.

David Jiricek is next in line, not far behind Korchinski.  He doesn't have quite the wheels or the dangle, but is an excellent passer, very comparable to Korchinski.  He also may be more defensively responsible.  Could also look at trading up for him, although maybe not so high a price.

Next on the list but much further down is Pavel Mintyukov, who also has strong offensive skills but who defense is just horrible.  Constantly making unforced errors in the D-Zone... his passing is almost always speculative and highly risky.  Seems to be a selfish player who is focused on scoring.  Yes, a good skater and can score, but the negatives are a serious risk.

Way down on the list is Lian Bichsel, only thing going for him is his size, not impressed with his defensive play or decision making.  Zero offensive talent.  Unless the scouting staff sees something I don't, probably best to go for a forward if he is the only choice.

Having a good D corps is key to success in the post season... just look at what the emergence of Makar and Byram has done for Colorado.

I’m honestly not sold on Kevin yet.

but with his size and talent he’s probably going top 10 regardless. 

I feel like all the dmen are coming with some development question marks.

even Nemec and Jiricek.

so will be interesting. Like I thought the last two drafts had disparity due to lack of games played and scouting limitations. But this year it’s just wild the rankings are actually all over the place. 

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of Liam Ohgren and think he would be a smart pick. He's one of those guys who would fit like a glove in our top-6 years down the road. 

I think he'll be a big hit for whoever takes him. Given that we have eyes all over Sweden, I would be interested to know what our brass thinks of him.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Upvote 2

Canucks need Cs and Ds, to build up their prospect pool. With Miller gone, it's time for Petey to sink or swim as the leader of this team.

Miller to Columbus for: 

(C) Jack Roslovic

(1st) #12

(2nd) #44 

Draft 2 Dmen with #12, #15 or #44 (Korchinski, Mateychuk, Mintyukov, Bichsel, Pickering, Luneau, Chesley)  

Roslovic (right-shot #3C) can help them now

• Upvote 1

On 6/17/2022 at 5:17 PM, NUCKER67 said:

What an interesting pick at #15. I haven't really given Bichsel much thought, because I think he's ranked more or less as a 2nd rounder, maybe late 1st. He's a big dude, like Myers. Does he also play like Myers?  

What is it about Bichsel that makes him a good pick at #15? Passing on Mateychuk too.

Bichsel, doesnt really play the same game as Myers. Bichsel is a much more physical defensive Dman, who dominates players his age class physically and has not looked out of place in the SHL. He has been ranked mainly in the 15-25 range but has quickly been shooting up many draft boards. While I think Mateychuk could become the better overall Dman but I think Bichsel brings something to the Canucks that we are desperately lacking.   

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks need Cs and Ds, to build up their prospect pool. With Miller gone, it's time for Petey to sink or swim as the leader of this team.

Miller to Columbus for: 

(C) Jack Roslovic

(1st) #12

(2nd) #44 

Draft 2 Dmen with #12, #15 or #44 (Korchinski, Mateychuk, Mintyukov, Bichsel, Pickering, Luneau, Chesley)  

Roslovic (right-shot #3C) can help them now

How about your trade and then we move 12 and 15 to move up high enough to get Jiricek?  I'm thinking he's going 5 or 6.

31 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Buttons list is out. Has Miro at 15. Kemell at 3 no 1st round love for Bichsel,Lamoureux.

https://www.tsn.ca/shane-wright-nhl-draft-prospect-ranking-craig-button-1.1815325

Yeah he has Bichsel, Lambert, and Mesar deep in second round. Savoie dropping to 19 and Geekie 29 as well, here's hoping. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah he has Bichsel, Lambert, and Mesar deep in second round. Savoie dropping to 19 and Geekie 29 as well, here's hoping. 

Need to get us some 2nd round picks common JR. Is Brock worth two 2nds? 

I really like that he has Topi Roni at our 80 really like this player. 

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Need to get us some 2nd round picks common JR. Is Brock worth two 2nds? 

I really like that he has Topi Roni at our 80 really like this player. 

Based on his ranking I would like Simon Forsmark or Cruz Lucius with our 3rd