The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Fair enough. The fact he jumped into the SHL as a draft eligible is certainly a plus.

Does this mean he's got more upside than other people, or that he's further ahead right now? I think that's the question.

(Bare in mind just because your a DFD doesn't mean your inherently limited to being a #4D - Jonas Brodin, Ryan McDonagh)

Some people believe Pickering has huge upside. I think we do need a stud shutdown guy that is hard to play against, not sure Pickering uses his size effectively yet. I like the fact that Bichsel strikes fear in the hearts of grown men already and they will skate to try and avoid him. Also enjoyed watching him man handle Shane Wright at the U18's.   

• Thanks 2

This is the fun time of the year for those that missed the playoffs. Absolutely excited about the upcoming draft. There will be teams that swing for the fences and hit home runs with their picks while there will be some that miss. This is how I think the draft will go:

1. MTL - Wright

2. NJD - Slafkovsky

3. ARI - Cooley

4. SEA - Nemec

5. PHI - Jiricek

6. CLB - Gauthier

7. OTT - Kemell

8. DET - Lakkerimaki

9. BUF - Kasper

10. ANA - Korchinski

11. SJ - Savoie

12. CBJ - Mintyukov

13. NYI - Nazar

14. WIN - Geekie

15. VAN - Pickering

16. BUF - Yurov

17. NSH - Lambert

18. DAL - Snuggerud

19. MIN - Miroshnichenko

20. WSH - Kulich
21. PIT - Howard

22. ANA - Ostlund

23. STL - Bichel

24. MIN - Ohgren

25. TOR - McGroarty

26. MTL - Chesley

27. ARI - Mateychuk

28. BUF - Gaucher 
29. EDM - Mesar

30. WIN - Del Bel Belluz

31. TBL - Rinzel

32. ARI - Luneau

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Fair, It's true BPA is subjective especially at that point. But even in the middle of the first round great players are available every year, you just have to find them.

Take 2017, from #14 to #18 there was a run on defenseman; Foote, Brannstrom, Valimaki, Liljegren, Vaakaninen. They've all played but none really established themselves. Then the next two picks; Josh Norris (OTTs 1C) & Robert Thomas (over a PPG last year).

Precisely... I rest my case :)

This is exactly why BPA starts to get muddled are you progress through the draft... Pastrnak would have been drafted far higher, had folks known, he was going to be this good. Picking Seider was also a stroke of genius... 

It's not easy otherwise they would just save themselves a bucket load of money and pick after McKenzie's list.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Ive read there are still some issues with Pickering's skating, some scouts believe it is just him adjusting to his new body but it is definitely added risk. With Bichsel what impresses me the most is that he was able to go from playing in a swiss junior league to the SHL so quickly and earn the playing time he did (huge step up). For a defensive defenseman to still out produce offensive dynamos Ohgren and Ostlund in that league as well is no easy task.  

Sometimes the best athletes can have the worst skating mechanics because, at least initially, their athleticism lets them overcome things that lesser athletes would need to get ironed out as a 7 year old taking a few speed skating classes. 

If a guy is athletic and doesn't have an ego, skating is one of the most easily corrected attributes. Not saying they'll develop Bure-esque speed, but they'll at least become competent. Horvat is one of the clearest examples of this. 

25 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

This kid sounds perfect.  He just grew a bunch and still got lots of room to develop into his new frame.  Plus, he sounds hyper competitive.  Size, skill, skates well, lots of upside, high ceiling, hyper compete, smart, and good character.  

Wow!  I wouldn’t be disappointed hear us call his name at 15OA. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Sportsnet's latest mock draft have the Canucks taking RW Jimmy Snuggerrud USNTDP

I like the last name but a Right Winger?

Interesting.  There are so many names around where we pick I think (if it presents) we will trade back in round one and get an extra 2nd or 3rd.  

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I think that most of us that have been invested in this thread for a while hope that we trade down and get 2 picks in the top 25- 30

Fully believe we could get that D- man and centre that we really need.

That would be amazing. Would be very happy either that outcome and I feel like it’s something we never do

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Sportsnet's latest mock draft have the Canucks taking RW Jimmy Snuggerrud USNTDP

I like the last name but a Right Winger?

Who’s mock was that? I saw sams yesterday 

15. Vancouver Canucks: Lian Bichsel

Lian Bichsel of the SHL's Leksand IF could be a tempting option for the Vancouver Canucks if they seek depth in left-shot defensemen. He possesses impressive size at 6'6" and 225 pounds, using his long stride and reach to outrace opponents and strip them of the puck. Bichsel's offensive game still needs work but his defensive abilities should make him a future NHL top-four blueliner.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10040972-bleacher-reports-final-2022-nhl-mock-draft

Bleacher Report mock from today has us taking Bichsel

15. Vancouver Canucks: Liam Ohgren (LW, Djurgardens IF, SHL) 

Fresh off of a bounce-back season for Elias Pettersson and re-signing Brock Boeser to a three-year extension, the Canucks will have an opportunity to add to an already-exciting young forward corps by drafting Liam Ohgren. But don’t let his two points in 25 Swedish Hockey League (SHL) games fool you – he absolutely tore up the Swedish junior league at a pace of nearly two points per game.

Ohgren also captained Team Sweden to a gold medal with nine points over six games. He’s signed to play for Djurgardens in Sweden’s second-tier pro league next season and could give the Canucks a really nice left wing option in the top six down the line. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/2022-nhl-mock-draft-hobsons-take/

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This kid sounds perfect.  He just grew a bunch and still got lots of room to develop into his new frame.  Plus, he sounds hyper competitive.  Size, skill, skates well, lots of upside, high ceiling, hyper compete, smart, and good character.  

Wow!  I wouldn’t be disappointed hear us call his name at 15OA. 

Not sure about that... But otherwise very good. Almost as good as Bischel.....:bigblush:

Lian Bichsel and Owen Pickering both add size and great skating from the backend. Bichsel is a truck already and Pickering will add lots of weight no doubt in my mind. Pickering looks to me he has the better hockey sense and Bichsel looks to have the better physical gifts, but he’s already basically filled out and I could see a Douglas Murrey type projection due to it. Pickering would be my choice of the two.

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

That would be amazing. Would be very happy either that outcome and I feel like it’s something we never do

I guess it takes two to tango. What would we need to give up in addition to the pick to get 2 players in the 25-30? Arizona has picks 27 and 32. Minnesota has picks 19 and 24.

37 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

I guess it takes two to tango. What would we need to give up in addition to the pick to get 2 players in the 25-30? Arizona has picks 27 and 32. Minnesota has picks 19 and 24.

I just don’t see why another team would do it unless they were in love with a guy available at 15 

• Like 1