The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

21 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The Fedotov thing has really thrown even more of a wrench into the Russians.

I didn't think Miro would be there if we were able to get a mid 2nd, but now he might fall to the third round.

We have pick #80, MTL has #62 & #66.

If Miro is available at one of those MTL picks I wonder if DiPietro would be intriguing enough to make a deal. Maybe Mikey+ one of our picks.

Kucherov went at the end of the 2nd round in '11, Kaprizov went in the 5th in '15, could be looking back at this as getting a potential star player much lower than you should.

Do you know if Miro and or Yurov have done their military service? This is a real concern.

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

Haha saying I took the easy wayyy! I did go a little crazy with Montreal trading for the second pick too. I hear ya though aha.

I just think Wrights their guy. It’s such a big stage for a pick and to take a risk on a euro power forward whose skating isn’t at the level of Wright or really any dominant first overall selection I’d be scared to do that if my head was on the block in Montreal. 

I did go one at a time in mine exactly like you said trying to think what their team will value most and go for. But there’s always wild cards. A mcgroaty, chesley, howard, kulich, ostlund etc can go way higher than expected in this draft. Tough to project but fun!

Last years was pretty tough but you were right about cole sillinger. 

I’m so curious where Yurov and Miro go not to mention all the other Russians 

Yeah I dunno. I've given Wright a long leash and argued for him most of the year. Hard not to remember his dominant under-age U18s. But when it comes to comparing prospects my motto is "who has proven more at higher levels?" Wright has only played on the junior stage, and was less that exceptional at U20s. Didn't do much in the OHL playoffs, while Slafkovsky is already a proven legitimate force at the Olympic and World Championship level. And he's not a guy like Byfield who has the size but doesn't use it to his best advantage. Maybe Byfield will get there with proper development. But Slafkovsky is already there. He doesn't have Byfield's skating, but he's a bloody semi-truck out there, and I think he processes the game at a higher level than Byfield.

Anyway, the point is, it seems to me Slafkovsky is the more proven commodity at this point, so is it really a risk?

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

15. Vancouver Canucks: Lian Bichsel

Lian Bichsel of the SHL's Leksand IF could be a tempting option for the Vancouver Canucks if they seek depth in left-shot defensemen. He possesses impressive size at 6'6" and 225 pounds, using his long stride and reach to outrace opponents and strip them of the puck. Bichsel's offensive game still needs work but his defensive abilities should make him a future NHL top-four blueliner.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10040972-bleacher-reports-final-2022-nhl-mock-draft

Bleacher Report mock from today has us taking Bichsel

15. Vancouver Canucks: Liam Ohgren (LW, Djurgardens IF, SHL) 

Fresh off of a bounce-back season for Elias Pettersson and re-signing Brock Boeser to a three-year extension, the Canucks will have an opportunity to add to an already-exciting young forward corps by drafting Liam Ohgren. But don’t let his two points in 25 Swedish Hockey League (SHL) games fool you – he absolutely tore up the Swedish junior league at a pace of nearly two points per game.

Ohgren also captained Team Sweden to a gold medal with nine points over six games. He’s signed to play for Djurgardens in Sweden’s second-tier pro league next season and could give the Canucks a really nice left wing option in the top six down the line. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/2022-nhl-mock-draft-hobsons-take/

For the love of god, do not draft Bichsel

26 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

For the love of god, do not draft Bichsel

Who should they draft instead pick 1. If you could have 1 guy ranked 13 or lower who is your guy and why? I started the season pumping Kaspar when he was a reach now he'd be a steal at 10. These are 17/18yearolds rankings change drastically in 6 months. For a pick at 15 there's probably 20-30 players that become 300+game good nhlers ranked 13-90. maybe 10% of those go on to be your Pasternaks/Aho's. Just an estimate maybe there's a stat to back up this claim. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah I dunno. I've given Wright a long leash and argued for him most of the year. Hard not to remember his dominant under-age U18s. But when it comes to comparing prospects my motto is "who has proven more at higher levels?" Wright has only played on the junior stage, and was less that exceptional at U20s. Didn't do much in the OHL playoffs, while Slafkovsky is already a proven legitimate force at the Olympic and World Championship level. And he's not a guy like Byfield who has the size but doesn't use it to his best advantage. Maybe Byfield will get there with proper development. But Slafkovsky is already there. He doesn't have Byfield's skating, but he's a bloody semi-truck out there, and I think he processes the game at a higher level than Byfield.

Anyway, the point is, it seems to me Slafkovsky is the more proven commodity at this point, so is it really a risk?

Good take. Very good. Almost swayed me completely. But the seed is planted 

Interesting take I’m on SN650…

Canucks high on Kasper but he’s played his way out of our range.

MINTYUKOV / OHGREN / PICKERING /

OSTLUND

IF they view ohgren as a Landeskog, power forward, captain material with star goal scoring potential I could see them taking him.

for dmen I really like:

NEMEC

JIRICEK

MINTYUKOV

MATEYCHUK

PICKERING

BICHSEL

In that order. But I think the canucks have Pickering above Mateychuk and maybe Bichsel and others too. 

I do not think the canucks are high on Korchinski either and out of all the top Ds in this draft I think Korchinski will be the disappointment. 

Korchinski is the prospect I’d least like.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I didn't think Miro would be there if we were able to get a mid 2nd, but now he might fall to the third round.

If Miro is available at one of those MTL picks I wonder if DiPietro would be intriguing enough to make a deal. Maybe Mikey+ one of our picks.

Kucherov went at the end of the 2nd round in '11, Kaprizov went in the 5th in '15, could be looking back at this as getting a potential star player much lower than you should.

That Gleb Trikozov is intriguing as a potential second or third if he lasts that long.

Very young draft eligible August 2004 birthday even younger than expected top 12 pick Jonathan Lekerrimaki.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Muttley said:

If we could acquire, or trade for, a second pick in the first round, I'd sure give Ryan Chelsey a long hard look. Ranked in or around 23-24th, OA. Some grit there.

Defense -- shoots R
Born Feb 27 2004 -- Mahtomedi, MN
[18 yrs. ago]
Height 6.00 -- Weight 195 [183 cm/88 kg]
  Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2020-21 U.S. National Development Team USHL 27 6 8 14 12 -8          
2021-22 U.S. National Development Team USHL 26 5 10 15 45 20

Cosentino thinks he has potential as a 2 way minute muncher #4 d man.

Not great but solid.

3 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

That Gleb Trikozov is intriguing as a potential second or third if he lasts that long.

Very young draft eligible August 2004 birthday even younger than expected top 12 pick Jonathan Lekerrimaki.

I haven't seen any video of him whatsoever, not even highlights, but I've heard he has a massive skill level. 

He'll probably go even later than Yurov & Miro, but worth taking a gamble on.

The mid rounds rarely produce players, I hope they take these high upside bets. Getting a top 6 player on an ELC in 3 years would be huge. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I haven't seen any video of him whatsoever, not even highlights, but I've heard he has a massive skill level. 

He'll probably go even later than Yurov & Miro, but worth taking a gamble on.

The mid rounds rarely produce players, I hope they take these high upside bets. Getting a top 6 player on an ELC in 3 years would be huge. 

His upside is higher than Yurov. Arguably even higher than Miro. Dynamic, explosive, tenacious, intelligent, skilled, powerful. I've been comparing him to Hossa all year. MacKinnon wouldn't be a half bad comparison, but there's enough reason to believe he could end up being an elite defensive forward too, hence Marian Hossa.

This is my favorite clip of him. Note after the rush attempt he's right back to work stealing the puck and drawing the penalty.

But this next clip shows a lot all at once. First the beauty pass, then he goes on the hunt on the backcheck, and finally overpowers the puck carrier for the turnover.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

If we could acquire, or trade for, a second pick in the first round, I'd sure give Ryan Chelsey a long hard look. Ranked in or around 23-24th, OA. Some grit there.

Defense -- shoots R
Born Feb 27 2004 -- Mahtomedi, MN
[18 yrs. ago]
Height 6.00 -- Weight 195 [183 cm/88 kg]
  Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2020-21 U.S. National Development Team USHL 27 6 8 14 12 -8          
2021-22 U.S. National Development Team USHL 26 5 10 15 45 20

Pronman from athletic ranked him #31 with below hockey sense but average skating, avg puck skills and above avg in compete and shot

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

Interesting take I’m on SN650…

Canucks high on Kasper but he’s played his way out of our range.

MINTYUKOV / OHGREN / PICKERING /

OSTLUND

IF they view ohgren as a Landeskog, power forward, captain material with star goal scoring potential I could see them taking him.

for dmen I really like:

NEMEC

JIRICEK

MINTYUKOV

MATEYCHUK

PICKERING 

BICHSEL

In that order. But I think the canucks have Pickering above Mateychuk and maybe Bichsel and others too. 

I do not think the canucks are high on Korchinski either and out of all the top Ds in this draft I think Korchinski will be the disappointment. 

Korchinski is the prospect I’d least like.

PICKERING <----------- 100% canucks picking him

38 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

Done a fair bit of catching up on the 1st round the past few days. These are the players I have keyed in on, and what I like about them.

Trikozov: Love the playstyle, guy just eats up ice and non-stop attacks. Pretty big boom-bust, but its hard not to like what I see. It's like watching a shark dart around. He just wants that puck, and he will do what it takes to get it. Dog-on-a-bone mentality, but with the skill to back it up. I strangely want him to be even more selfish and start using his shot as more of a weapon. He seems to want to distribute a lot and sometimes overpasses, where a shot assist would do the same trick in a different way. However, his shot is also fantastic.

Savoie: I've definitely slept on Matty so far. Mostly cause he has been often ranked out of reach, but I think of the smallish forwards, he is head and shoulders above the others. So much deceptive skill, and his skating is a pleasure to watch. Would love it if he somehow fell. For my money, he might be the most purely skilled player in this draft. If we somehow got a pick inside the top 10 or so range, I would have a hard time passing on this kid.

Ohgren: Probably the standout for me of the Djugarden three. I get real Player Name-Ek vibes from Ohgren. Not as physical, but seems like a "wear-you-down" type, and with his frame he can be effective at it. Ostlund also looks great, but he has a noticeably slight, almost Petey like build, without the height. I'm pretty lenient on the whole size thing, and have a soft spot for the guys who play bigger than they are, but idk if he can do that.

Bichsel: I wish there was a translation on the longer, more interview like, YouTube video on this guy. It looks like he is already living on his own, and his maturity overall in the video seems impressive. The way his coach talks with him as well about how much better he is getting, and mentions that he is way better than his teammates is pretty eye opening. I get Byfuglien vibes from this guy, just with his size and skating ability alone. If he doesn't develop offensively, he could cut out a niche as a Gudas type on the low end, which I have always loved Gudas. I rly like the player, however I just don't know if I can justify nabbing him at 15. Would love to have another 1st for him or trade for an early 2nd if he doesn't go day 1.

Lambert: I still think he catches too much flak from the stat watchers, but there is some definite red flags. I have followed Lambert pretty closely the last couple yrs, and it's always a rollercoaster. He will make a genius decision to open up ice with a chip off the boards or a cut through the middle with his skating, and then hang onto the puck too long and immediately make a stupid decision. He needs to make a simple play after the initial genius one. Whether that can be coached out, you'd rly hope, but who knows. However, he could be a Hagelin type on the low end if he doesn't get fully over it. Just chip and chase all game with his speed and sneaky good passing.

Slafkovsky: I said a month or so back that I would take this kid at #1, and he gained that ranking on Bob's final. Just too much of a rare beast this big fella. His board play is fantastic, and the way he uses his size to his advantage is so great to see. Usually these kids with size take a while to figure that out, where he already has a great foundation there. This kid fully developed could be SCARY in a few yrs. Idk that I see high end 80+ scoring, but just a nightmare to play against with his size and speed. 30/30 is a fair upside in my opinion, but in a very unique playstyle.

Those would be my favorites or interesting players. I'm a little reserved on a few others, such as Kasper, McGoarty, Chesley, as I just don't see a ton of offensive upside in them, and im not sure there is anything that will set them apart at the NHL level. I'm a big believer in having something elite to bring to the table. Whether it's your speed, hockey sense, shot, board play. It's hard to cut it as a "jack of all trades" at the NHL level. If you can have atleast one trait that you can confidently say "he is better at this than 75% of the league", that's a projectable attribute. If you have multiple of them, even better. But if you are just average or a little above average, it's hard to make it, and even harder to get a legitimate chance in a scoring role.

Some great stuff here. You were one of the earlier ones to mention Slafkovsky at first overall for sure.

On Ohgren, I haven't seen as much of him as I'd like. Mostly Hlinkas and U18s plus highlights. But I just didn't see as much power forward from him as I'd like. He reminds me more of Holtz, a guy who doesn't have the puck a ton but does his best work offensively away from the puck, skating good routes, finding openings, being able to catch and release from tricky angles. Nothing wrong with being compared to Holtz, but Ohgren doesn't have quite the same skillset, and he has that beefy frame Holtz doesn't have. I see flashes of a power game from him, leaning on people, using his body to protect the puck, but not nearly as much as I'd like to see.

I don't see this as a detriment though, but an opportunity for potential. I'm a big Daryl Belfry fan - his philosophy as a skill coach for high-end players is that it isn't about teaching skills, but finding new ways to integrate skill patterns into the particular player's unique playing style. Ohgren up to now has been an elite offensive player playing mostly a skill game, and at the junior level his size was just an added bonus. Once he is in an NHL development system and working with world-class skill coaches, he can start to learn how to utilize his size better and how best to blend that power game into his individual playing style.

On Bichsel, I've seen extremely little and have just as little to say, but I've noticed a couple times this comparison to a Burns or Byfuglien. I remember thinking the exact same thing about Zadorov, but what we're forgetting here is that Byfuglien and Burns both started their careers as forwards. From what I recall Buff was always a bit of a swingman going back to junior, but Burns was drafted as a full-blown winger. Point is they already had some offensive skill there that you wouldn't usually get from a big physical defenseman like this, who are of course going to tend to be developed as defensive defensemen.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Sp3nny said:

Done a fair bit of catching up on the 1st round the past few days. Just some of my general thoughts on some of the names being discussed by everyone.

Trikozov: Love the playstyle, guy just eats up ice and non-stop attacks. Pretty big boom-bust, but its hard not to like what I see. It's like watching a shark dart around. He just wants that puck, and he will do what it takes to get it. Dog-on-a-bone mentality, but with the skill to back it up. I strangely want him to be even more selfish and start using his shot as more of a weapon. He seems to want to distribute a lot and sometimes overpasses, where a shot assist would do the same trick in a different way. And his shot is also fantastic.

Savoie: I've definitely slept on Matty so far. Mostly cause he has been often ranked out of reach, but I think of the smallish forwards, he is head and shoulders above the others. So much deceptive skill, and his skating is a pleasure to watch. Would love it if he somehow fell. For my money, he might be the most purely skilled player in this draft. If we somehow got a pick inside the top 10 or so range, I would have a hard time passing on this kid.

Ohgren: Probably the standout for me of the Djugarden three. I get real Player Name-Ek vibes from Ohgren. Not as physical, but seems like a "wear-you-down" type, and with his frame he can be effective at it. Ostlund also looks great, but he has a noticeably slight, almost Petey like build, without the height. I'm pretty lenient on the whole size thing, and have a soft spot for the guys who play bigger than they are, but idk if he can do that.

Bichsel: I wish there was a translation on the longer, more interview like, YouTube video on this guy. It looks like he is already living on his own, and his maturity overall in the video seems impressive. The way his coach talks with him as well about how much better he is getting, and mentions that he is way better than his teammates is pretty eye opening. I get Byfuglien vibes from this guy, just with his size and skating ability alone. If he doesn't develop offensively, he could cut out a niche as a Gudas type on the low end, which I have always loved Gudas. I rly like the player, however I just don't know if I can justify nabbing him at 15. Would love to have another 1st for him or trade for an early 2nd if he doesn't go day 1.

Lambert: I still think he catches too much flak from the stat watchers, but there is some definite red flags. I have followed Lambert pretty closely the last couple yrs, and it's always a rollercoaster. He will make a genius decision to open up ice with a chip off the boards or a cut through the middle with his skating, and then hang onto the puck too long and immediately make a stupid decision. He needs to make a simple play after the initial genius one. Whether that can be coached out, you'd rly hope, but who knows. However, he could be a Hagelin type on the low end if he doesn't get fully over it. Just chip and chase all game with his speed and sneaky good passing.

Slafkovsky: I said it a few months or so back that I would take this kid at #1, and he gained that ranking on Bob's final. Just too much of a rare beast this big fella. His board play is fantastic, and the way he uses his size to his advantage is so great to see. Usually these kids with size take a while to figure that out, where he already has a great foundation there. This kid fully developed could be SCARY in a few yrs. Idk that I see high end 80+ scoring, but just a nightmare to play against with his size and speed. 30/30 is a fair upside in my opinion, but in a very unique playstyle.

Those would be my favorites or interesting players. I'm a little reserved on a few others, such as Kasper, McGoarty, Chesley, as I just don't see a ton of offensive upside in them, and im not sure there is anything that will set them apart at the NHL level. I'm a big believer in having something elite to bring to the table. Whether it's your speed, hockey sense, shot, board play. It's hard to cut it as a "jack of all trades" at the NHL level. If you can have atleast one trait that you can confidently say "he is better at this than 75% of the league", that's a projectable attribute. If you have multiple of them, even better. But if you are just average or a little above average, it's hard to make it, and even harder to get a legitimate chance in a scoring role.

The Canucks could use some more speed all over the lineup. Lambert reminds me of a guy who could be a Mason Raymond type on the Canucks. I think second line winger is his ceiling.

His hockey IQ and compete/consistency is not where you want it to be though imo.

5 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I would love to see Washington take Miroshnichenko. They don't shy away from Russians and he would be a great fit with no one better to learn from in the NHL than Ovechkin as tries to play a similar bulldog type style. He has potential to be a 30 goal scorer or flame out.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, hammertime said:

Does Minty PK? can he play #5 mins? Is that a good situation for him? Is it a good situation for Hughes having to play Minutes Minty should be playing?

This seems to be the constant issue, when we speak about D-Men... How much do they score, how much can the support the attack, etc etc...

But that's exactly the reason Rathbone isn't in the team yet...

He was given the opportunity last season, but was dropped again as they couldn't keep the puck out of their own net...

We are looking for stay at home D-men, as we don't have any like that in our system, and despite the claims, they are easily found, this just doesn't seem to be the case. If it was Schenn wouldn't be ridden like a rented mule, despite his lack of speed.

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 3