The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Clearing Cap and Adding Toughness

Vancouver: D Nate Schmidt

New York Islanders: D Scott Mayfield, LW Ross Johnston

-New York Islanders had a pretty good run last season. This immediately upgrades their defence so they can have another go next season. Gives Dobson an experienced partner to play with

-Schmidt is a good defence man that did not mesh with this team it seems. We shed cap space and get 2 big players to toughen up our roster. Mayfield is a big RHD signed for cheap. I don’t see us getting a whole lot for Schmidt especially after last season

Vancouver: G Braeden Holtby

Seattle: SEA 2022 5th

-Seattle has cap space to take on Holtby and was rumoured to be interested in him before. Could be a solid veteran option on an expiring contract

-Demko stepped up and Holtby isn’t needed anymore. Gotta get rid of the contract somehow to clear cap space. Might have to add a sweetener for them to take his contract

-Buyout RW Jake Virtanen

-LTIR LW Michael Ferland

Signings

RFA

C Jason Dickinson: 3 YRS @ 2.5mill AAV

C Elias Pettersson: 4 YRS @ 7mill AAV

D Quinn Hughes: 4 YRS @ 6.5mill AAV

LW Conor Garland: 3 YRS @ 4.5mill AAV

D Olli Juolevi: 2 YRS @ 950K AAV

UFA

D Travis Hamonic: 2 YRS @ 1.75mill AAV

**D Luke Schenn: 2 YRS @ 1mill AAV

G Laurent Brossoit: 1 YR @ 1.5mill AAV

**Either Schenn, Bogosian or Gudbranson (Always liked Guddy)

Hoglander-Pettersson-Boeser

Garland-Miller-Podkolzin

Pearson-Horvat-Highmore

Johnston-Dickinson-Motte

/MacKewn

Ekman Larson-Myers

Hughes-Mayfield

Rathbone-Hamonic

/Juolevi-Schenn

Demko

Brossoit

We have 2.5mill in cap space to start. Once we put Ferland on LTIR we have around 6mill to work with

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Love Mayfield.  Not sure the Islanders play ball here although they haven't really replaced Leddy who was their #1 power play quarterback and have extra RHD which is uncommon.  Dobson should be in their top 4 so that is the dilemma they have.  Mayfield is their top penalty killer but Dobson is their future.

They could certainly use Schmidt and I'm sure Schmidt would love to play there.  We don't need Johnson but we may be the ones who need to add as Mayfield is on a sweet contract and could instantly slot in on the top pairing with Hughes.  

I'd do this deal but not sure the Islanders will.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ken kaniff said:

Vancouver: D Nate Schmidt

New York Islanders: D Scott Mayfield, LW Ross Johnston

-New York Islanders had a pretty good run last season. This immediately upgrades their defence so they can have another go next season. Gives Dobson an experienced partner to play with

-Schmidt is a good defence man that did not mesh with this team it seems. We shed cap space and get 2 big players to toughen up our roster. Mayfield is a big RHD signed for cheap. I don’t see us getting a whole lot for Schmidt especially after last season

Vancouver: G Braeden Holtby

Seattle: SEA 2022 5th

-Seattle has cap space to take on Holtby and was rumoured to be interested in him before. Could be a solid veteran option on an expiring contract

-Demko stepped up and Holtby isn’t needed anymore. Gotta get rid of the contract somehow to clear cap space. Might have to add a sweetener for them to take his contract

-Buyout RW Jake Virtanen

-LTIR LW Michael Ferland

Signings

RFA

C Jason Dickinson: 3 YRS @ 2.5mill AAV

C Elias Pettersson: 4 YRS @ 7mill AAV

D Quinn Hughes: 4 YRS @ 6.5mill AAV

LW Conor Garland: 3 YRS @ 4.5mill AAV

D Olli Juolevi: 2 YRS @ 950K AAV

UFA

D Travis Hamonic: 2 YRS @ 1.75mill AAV

**D Luke Schenn: 2 YRS @ 1mill AAV

G Laurent Brossoit: 1 YR @ 1.5mill AAV

**Either Schenn, Bogosian or Gudbranson (Always liked Guddy)

Hoglander-Pettersson-Boeser

Garland-Miller-Podkolzin

Pearson-Horvat-Highmore

Johnston-Dickinson-Motte

/MacKewn

Ekman Larson-Myers

Hughes-Mayfield

Rathbone-Hamonic

/Juolevi-Schenn

Demko

Brossoit

We have 2.5mill in cap space to start. Once we put Ferland on LTIR we have around 6mill to work with

Mayfield  cheap salary and a top 4 D man NYI will never move...

Hamonic will demand 2.2--2.6  X 2 or 3 yrs..

57 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Love Mayfield.  Not sure the Islanders play ball here although they haven't really replaced Leddy who was their #1 power play quarterback and have extra RHD which is uncommon.  Dobson should be in their top 4 so that is the dilemma they have.  Mayfield is their top penalty killer but Dobson is their future.

They could certainly use Schmidt and I'm sure Schmidt would love to play there.  We don't need Johnson but we may be the ones who need to add as Mayfield is on a sweet contract and could instantly slot in on the top pairing with Hughes.  

I'd do this deal but not sure the Islanders will.

Pretty much this.  I love Mayfield as well but he has one of the best cap hits and values in the league and gives the Isles exactly what they need.  He’s their Tanev basically.  I can’t see the Isles agreeing to this.

• Upvote 1

A Ross Johnson acquisition would intrigue me however.  

I’m also of the oldschool Don Cherry opinion that every team needs a pure enforcer so that the stars on your team play ten feet taller.  1994 and 2011 Canucks are perfect examples of this for better and for worse.