The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Kings re-sign Lias Andersson

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

WOW, what a complete fall from grace. Couldn't even get a 1 way contract?

Glad we didn't get this guy at all. I remember some ppl on these boards were very high on him.

9 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Just like Gudbranson - it is only his draft pedigree that is keeping him in the league; he seems to have the talent but his attitude (based on the rumour) seems to be a very entitled one.   With that attitude, he won’t go far in a team sports environment - glad the Canucks took a very driven EP over Anderson.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Just like Gudbranson - it is only his draft pedigree that is keeping him in the league; he seems to have the talent but his attitude (based on the rumour) seems to be very entitled one.   With that attitude, he won’t go far in a team sports environment - glad the Canucks took a very driven EP over Anderson.

Reminds me of Dahlen too.

Swedes are self-entitled and bolt when given the chance. /sar 

These stereotypes were similarly made about Russians.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

20 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Reminds me Dahlen too.

Swedes are self-entitled and bolt when given the chance. /sar - These stereotypes were similarly made about Russians.

You might on to something (?); but EP seems to be an exception (up to this point) cause of the the way he earned his opportunity from the first shift I saw him play - he didn’t take nothing for granted and on camera he (also) seems to assertively engage his teammates; future Captain Material (?).

Edit - only speculating why Lias didn't click with the Rangers - lots of articles in the internet about it and draw your own conclusion.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

You might on to something; but EP seems to be an exception (up to this point) cause of the the way he earned from the first shift I saw him play - he didn’t take nothing for granted and on camera he (also) seems to assertively the engage his teammates; future Captain Material.  

I was being sarcastic ;) but yeah, I don't think the Swede stereotype I described is at all accurate. There have been more than several Russians who made it over too.

11 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I was being sarcastic ;) but yeah, I don't think the Swede stereotype I described is at all accurate. There have been more than several Russians who made it over too.

Missed the sarcasm; and I agree - we are all different but everyone is susceptible to flaws of being human.  

3 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Just like Gudbranson - it is only his draft pedigree that is keeping him in the league; he seems to have the talent but his attitude (based on the rumour) seems to be very entitled one.   With that attitude, he won’t go far in a team sports environment - glad the Canucks took a very driven EP over Anderson.

Just curious, has Gudbranson been looked at as entitled, or just Lias.

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Just curious, has Gudbranson been looked at as entitled, or just Lias.

Just made a comment about the draft pedigree of players and how it tends to have an effect on the opportunities they get.  Also, nothing about any entitlement issue on EG.  

Mainly, just taking and already clarified.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Just made a comment about the draft pedigree of players and how it tends to have an effect on the opportunities they get.  Also, nothing about any entitlement issue on EG.  

Mainly, just taking and already clarified.

Big heads, I get it. I wonder if that affected Gudbranson as well. 

30 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Being an outsider and not knowing what his priorities are - I am not sure  if he took a few things for granted; but as a hockey player, he definitely underachieved his draft pedigree (but the overall talent of a draft will have to be considered when discussing EG being drafted at # 3 cause could Tallon had drafted someone else if that player was available at # 3 ?).

Edited by ShawnAntoski

16 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I met Guddy when he was on the team.  Very nice guy and blushed a little when I said I was happy he was on the team.  Didn't get the big head vibes from him, actually quite the opposite.  

Thought he was 50/50 when he was here.  Had some bad games and some good ones.  I do miss his face punching ability.

18 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

You might on to something; but EP seems to be an exception (up to this point) cause of the the way he earned from the first shift I saw him play - he didn’t take nothing for granted and on camera he (also) seems to assertively the engage his teammates; future Captain Material.  

Yeah - Hoglander also seems really entitled, no?

I won't list other Swedish players - and of course there are good and bad regardless of nationality - but that's simply a bad take. (I do realize it was sarcasm at first.)

Regarding Lias, obviously he hasn't turned out, and IMO you could see some warning bells already at JWC that maybe ha was a bit overrated. That said, he's battled injuries, mental problems and obviously had incidents that disturbed him while being with NYR.

Here's a summary:

https://eu.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2020/04/20/lias-andersson-opens-up-reasons-leaving-ny-rangers/5164012002/

27 minutes ago, J-P said:

Yeah - Hoglander also seems really entitled, no?

I won't list other Swedish players - and of course there are good and bad regardless of nationality - but that's simply a bad take. (I do realize it was sarcasm at first.)

Regarding Lias, obviously he hasn't turned out, and IMO you could see some warning bells already at JWC that maybe ha was a bit overrated. That said, he's battled injuries, mental problems and obviously had incidents that disturbed him while being with NYR.

Here's a summary:

https://eu.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2020/04/20/lias-andersson-opens-up-reasons-leaving-ny-rangers/5164012002/

You are reading too much in the comment (try reading the whole thread) and it has been clarified, if you read my post afterward - Hogz did what EP did by earning his opportunity from training camp; unlike Lias (ofcourse, it can be argued that Lias just did not click with the staff/locker room when he was with the Rangers - who really knows being outsiders but he has another opportunity with the Kings - wish him well).

3 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

You are reading too much in the comment (try reading the whole thread) and it has been clarified, if you read my post afterward - Hogz did what EP did by earning his opportunity from training camp; unlike Lias (ofcourse, it can be argued that Lias just did not click with the staff/locker room when he was with the Rangers - who really knows being outsiders but he has another opportunity with the Kings - wish him well).

I don't read it that way, but ok, I think we agree on the basics that you should earn your playing time regardless of draft pedigree or nationality.

• Vintage 1