The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I don't remember seeing him take draws before. That's really too bad because he could be a decent fill in if he had practices or trained for that role. His skating is good for a big guy. I do notice however that he overskates the puck often which could lead to some high danger chances in the slot if he was a centre... 

I thought he played some center in the minors. Could be thinking of someone else though.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This plagues Highmore in the center role too.

Agreed. 

I have Petan and Highmore as the bottom 2 guys out of all the guys who are on the bubble fighting for a spot. So it really sucks that they might still win out a spot based on position

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Agreed. 

I have Petan and Highmore as the bottom 2 guys out of all the guys who are on the bubble fighting for a spot. So it really sucks that they might still win out a spot based on position

If I was choosing I would be looking at a late signing of a UFA or scouring the upcoming waiver wire for a better 4C and waiving both tbh.

Highmore has a spot to lose simply because of getting traded for Gaudette but IMO he should have already lost it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

If I was choosing I would be looking at a late signing of a UFA or scouring the upcoming waiver wire for a better 4C and waiving both tbh.

Highmore has a spot to lose simply because of getting traded for Gaudette but IMO he should have already lost it.

That's a really good point. 

There could be a decent 4c fill-in coming up on waivers. 

Gaudette trade is a sunk cost. Going forward, they just need to ice the best team possible. 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

We really need Sutter back.

Weird that we have all this depth but no 4c replacement. 

I dunno why but I thought of Mario Bliznak. Do we not have a guy like him in the minors? 

Lucas jasek lighting it up in Finland 

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

That's a really good point. 

There could be a decent 4c fill-in coming up on waivers. 

Gaudette trade is a sunk cost. Going forward, they just need to ice the best team possible. 

Exactly. He is not a bad energy guy but he really hasn’t seized a gimme opportunity he had coming in. 

Just now, CanucksJay said:

Why'd he go to Finland again? I thought he was top 6 in Utica last year? 

Wasnt very happy about not getting called up end of last year after doing everything they asked of him, and transforming into a pretty solid 2 way center. Ideal new age 4th line center. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Vermette9 said:

Wasnt very happy about not getting called up end of last year after doing everything they asked of him, and transforming into a pretty solid 2 way center. Ideal new age 4th line center. 

Ya they really should have gotten him a lil pay day or 2. He played his arse off.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Who knows, maybe Greener told him that his defensive play needs to be priority if he wants to make this team

Probably a bit of both. I'd not be at all surprised if he's being coached to play solid defense first and build his offense from there (like Horvat).

But based on his history, he also elevates his play when it matters.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Probably a bit of both. I'd not be at all surprised if he's being coached to play solid defense first and build his offense from there (like Horvat).

But based on his history, he also elevates his play when it matters.

I think this is exactly what is happening.

I am not concerned about him at all tbh. Expectations were sky high coming in but he has been ok overall. If anything, I think he has shown he can play in the NHL and grow into a more rounded role. If he starts in Abby getting big minutes that isn’t the end of the world either.

11 minutes ago, Vermette9 said:

I hope he comes back next year. Guy's a solid two way player with good speed. Prototypical, modern bottom 6 guy.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Vermette9 said:

Ouch. Wish he'd just stuck with the plan. He might have been the 4c this year and kept the job if he outplayed sutter