The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

OJ hasn't really impressed yet, he's made a few gaffs. Hunt is a veteran and I believe they go with the veteran lineup to start the season. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure Green trusts Olli yet.

OJ is going to be a good PKer, there’s definitely a role for him there.   I’d like there to be top 4 and bottom 4 D pairings. 

OEL - Poolman

Hughes - Hamonic.

Hughes will have a better year this year because he won’t be depended upon so much to be the #1 shut down D.  OEL and Poolman can be that as well as the #1 PK unit while Hughes can QB the first unit PP.  Top 4 pairings would get 18-20 mins each. 

the Bottom 4 

Rathbone - Myers

Juolevi - Schenn

Here we have the #2 units for the PP and the PK with both units getting around 10-12 mins each. You can switch Rathbone and OJ up it doesn’t matter whose 6 or 8 as long as they share their 20 - 24 mins.  Each pairing would get 10-12 mins each. That’s about right for the bottom 4.  

there’s no need to choose between OJ and Rathbone if they can learn under veterans on the bottom 4. There would be no need to rush them and having 8 D would guarantee none of our D getting overworked.  It would keep our D fresh and healthy

• Cheers 1

Just now, Kobayashi Maru said:

This is how I see our d shape up for opening night with Hamonic out for a bit:

Ekman-Larsson Poolman

Hughes Myers

Joulevi Schenn

Rathbone

I think Rathbone and Joulevi swap in.  If one can play their offside I could see them both in from time to time.  LD needs a defensive guy for the PK giving Joulevi the edge most nights.

We’re probably gonna play our top four 45+ minutes a game. I don’t expect that 3rd pair to see much ice together 5v5.

Hopefully Hamonic does come back. It would allow Myers to play with one of the youngsters.

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

We’re probably gonna play our top four 45+ minutes a game. I don’t expect that 3rd pair to see much ice together 5v5.

Hopefully Hamonic does come back. It would allow Myers to play with one of the youngsters.

I could see that too.  3rd pair will be fairly sheltered as Hughes and OEL pairings will get a ton of mins, and they should.

Just now, Kobayashi Maru said:

I could see that too.  3rd pair will be fairly sheltered as Hughes and OEL pairings will get a ton of mins, and they should.

If Hamonic comes back though you have a veteran guy on the 3rd pair and can play them a bit more 5v5 lessening the load of the top 4 guys. 

I hope whatever he’s going through can get resolved in the best way for him and he can come back to playing. We need him back. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I wonder if Ekman-Larsson's new D partner will definitely be Poolman, or were they just trying them out until Hughes and Hamonic are with the team? I haven't seen them play as a pair yet, but I've heard they were quite good.

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I want Myers with OEL and Poolman with Hughes.

I was thinking something similar.  I'm going to assume the issue with Hamonic is enough time hasn't passed since his vaccine, but he intends to join the team.

Hughes - Hamonic

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Juolevi or Rathbone - Poolman

Schenn

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1

What an interesting camp

So many bubble players. 

Locks are

Boeser, Petterson, Miller, Garland, Horvat, Hoglander, Pearson, Dickinson, Motte, Sutter

Bubble players: Highmore, McEwan, Podz, Di Giuseppe, Gadj, Lockwood, Petan 

With Motte and Sutter injured, 5 spots (including 13th forward) available... Who's the odd man out here? We need a 4C for sure so that may play a factor. I believe the only centres out of the 7 bubble players are Petan and Highmore which is unfortunate as I have them ranked at the bottom... 

I feel like they can send down the rest at this point. 

As for D, 

Locks are

OEL, Myers, Hamonic, Hughes,  Poolman 

Bubble : Juolevi, Hunt, Schenn, Brisbois, Rathbone

That's 2 spots (including 7D) left between the 5 bubble guys. 

I feel like Gadj and Di Giuseppe impressed the most out of the bubble guys so far so I hope they get rewarded. 

I've liked Juolevi, Rathbone and Hunt's game on D. Sucks that only 2 will make it but great that our team is so deep. 

46 minutes ago, IBatch said:

"Im not too worried about what you've shown me in the past - it's what you've shown me now"   .... Best part of this. 

yeah thats pretty direct isn't it? I do like this about Green, I think players know where they stand with him.

6 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

What an interesting camp

So many bubble players. 

Locks are

Boeser, Petterson, Miller, Garland, Horvat, Hoglander, Pearson, Dickinson, Motte, Sutter

Bubble players: Highmore, McEwan, Podz, Di Giuseppe, Gadj, Lockwood, Petan 

With Motte and Sutter injured, 5 spots (including 13th forward) available... Who's the odd man out here? We need a 4C for sure so that may play a factor. I believe the only centres out of the 7 bubble players are Petan and Highmore which is unfortunate as I have them ranked at the bottom... 

I feel like they can send down the rest at this point. 

As for D, 

Locks are

OEL, Myers, Hamonic, Hughes,  Poolman 

Bubble : Juolevi, Hunt, Schenn, Brisbois, Rathbone

That's 2 spots (including 7D) left between the 5 bubble guys. 

I feel like Gadj and Di Giuseppe impressed the most out of the bubble guys so far so I hope they get rewarded. 

I've liked Juolevi, Rathbone and Hunt's game on D. Sucks that only 2 will make it but great that our team is so deep. 

not sure why you have Podkolzin on the bubble? who has outplayed him for the #9 F spot?

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

not sure why you have Podkolzin on the bubble? who has outplayed him for the #9 F spot?

I personally think he should be there. He hasn't blown the doors off either though. If he was a 5th rounder instead of 10 overall and someone like Gadj was a first rounder, I would say Gadj is more deserving of 9F at this point. 

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

so far OJ seems decent and Rahbone looks ready big decision to whom will make the team or both

but to me you do not over play the top pairings as mid season they will start showing the harm it does, play all we have a good D so play them

Im curious why you think Rathbone is ready.  I'm not baiting, just curious as I'm seeing something different

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Yeah, this "podkolzin isn't ready" is baffling to me.  He looks like a bonafide NHL top 9 player out there to me.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I was thinking something similar.  I'm going to assume the issue with Hamonic is enough time hasn't passed since his vaccine, but he intends to join the team.

Hughes - Hamonic

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Juolevi or Rathbone - Poolman

Schenn

Tyey were expecting him the day after training camp opened, this likely means that he was vaccinated during the summer.

Let's stop assuming.