The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I find Sutter to be such a question mark for this team. Sure, he plays defensively well and can take faceoffs, but the guy is always out (injured).  Sutter can't be relied on to be the 4th line C for the season, so I think Petan and Dowling will get opportunities to play. 

32 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I think you have to keep Gadjovich over Petan.  Gadjovich at least brings something useful to the lineup, and has the potential for improvement.

Gadjovich isn't a center. I think if Sutter and Motte are out to start the season, Petan and Gadjovich have both earned a chance to stay with the team.

• Like 1

Di Giuseppe, Chaisson, Highmore, Petan, Dowling ...... they remind me of the Chaput/Megna/Prust/Leipsic days.  Would rather see the ice time being given to Podz, Gadjovich, Lockwood, MacEwen and other home grown talent

As was posted elsewhere, we could certainly use Jasek and Rafferty right now ... not Calder candidates but imo a huge upgrade over what we are seeing on the ice right now auditioning for the bottom 6 forwards and depth defencemen role

20 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

I see his game differently then you. I do see Lockwood as an NHLer, I see him make plays, be gritty, create checks and hits. Lockwood for me would be great as a third liner.

I agree that Lockwood deserves to be on the team. He might start in Abbotsford as he's waiver exempt, but I think he'll be with the team within 2 weeks of the start of the season.

We start with a hard, 6 game road trip, there will be injuries. I think he's here most of the year.

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Di Giuseppe, Chaisson, Highmore, Petan, Dowling ...... they remind me of the Chaput/Megna/Prust/Leipsic days.  Would rather see the ice time being given to Podz, Gadjovich, Lockwood, MacEwen and other home grown talent

As was posted elsewhere, we could certainly use Jasek and Rafferty right now ... not Calder candidates but imo a huge upgrade over what we are seeing on the ice right now auditioning for the bottom 6 forwards and depth defencemen role

No regrets on Prust. He was worth the money. 

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Gadjovich isn't a center. I think if Sutter and Motte are out to start the season, Petan and Gadjovich have both earned a chance to stay with the team.

I'd rather see if someone gets put on waivers instead of keeping Petan up.  He really doesn't do anything well enough to put him on the ice to let him do it.

3 minutes ago, Googlie said:

If Rafferty didn't make Anaheim's defense, he would have trouble making it here.

He's skilled on offense, but his defensive game is lacking.

• Cheers 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

I'd rather see if someone gets put on waivers instead of keeping Petan up.  He really doesn't do anything well enough to put him on the ice to let him do it.

If there's someone on waivers who makes us better, absolutely, but based on who is still here, he's probably the one who deserves it most.

50 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

It seems like a depth no brainer to bump Dickinson to the 4th and miller on third, if we are just talking about Center depth that would be amazing...but then we are looking at holes on the wing

I’d rather have Miller on the wing then at Center.  Yes Miller can play center, but he’s more comfortable and effective as a winger.  Personally speaking, I think a line of

Pearson-Dickinson-Garland would be pretty effective from a two-way standpoint.  I would go 

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

Miller-Pettersson-Podkolzin 

Pearson-Dickinson-Garland

Gadjovich-Petan-Highmore 

Chiasson

OEL-Poolman

Hughes-Schenn (until Hamonic comes back)

Juolevi-Myers

Hunt

Demko

Halak

1) I would even consider switching Petan and Dickinson if Petan’s superior playmaking abilities can generate more offense from that line.

2) Juolevi makes the team ahead of Rathbone for me.  Rathbone is a better overall dman than Juolevi right now, but Juolevi is a bit better defensively, and his style will mesh a little better with Myers imo.  Send Rathbone to Abby and let him log big minutes in all situations.  If Hughes or OEL go down with injury, Rathbone gets called up and fills their spot.

3) If Hamonic is slated to be out for a long time (yes, relative term), then I would consider making a trade for Buffalo’s Mark Pysyk.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I somewhat agree. I liked Highmore last year. Haven’t seen him enough in camp though. 

Rafferty is definitely not what this team needs. Wish him luck but right now we might have too many offensive minded defensemen 

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

If Rafferty didn't make Anaheim's defense, he would have trouble making it here.

He's skilled on offense, but his defensive game is lacking.

When was he cut?

He sat out last night's game, but previous game logged over 21 minutes, QB'd their 4 powerplays and was first over the boards on their 2 penalty kills.  Also scored their sole goal on their opening exhibition game.

Their fanbase thinks he's a legitimate top 4

So, to start the season, if we assume that Sutter is going to miss at least the first 10 games (I think likely) and that Keeper is done for the season, that gives us available LTIR to start the season of $5,387,500.

If Hamonic isn't here to start the season, unless he's dealing with something that is hockey related, I "think" the Canucks can suspend him and free up his salary as well, until he's ready to rejoin the team.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

When was he cut?

He sat out last night's game, but previous game logged over 21 minutes, QB'd their 4 powerplays and was first over the boards on their 2 penalty kills.  Also scored their sole goal on their opening exhibition game.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/ducks-brogan-rafferty-placed-on-waivers/

• Cheers 1

When was he cut?

He was on yesterday's cut list for Anaheim. Look in the Trades etc, thread and Oct 3rd waivers.

Their fanbase might think he's legitimate top 4, but their coaching and management staff see other issues in his game, same as the Canucks did.

I like Brad Hunt.  Smallish, but versatile.  Showed well in last night's game vs Jets.  Can play right or left side.   I could see him and Schenn as the 7/8 D, and platooning until the Hamonic situation is resolved.   Although Hughes-Hunt might be a no-go.  I can't see Green deploying a smurfs defence 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

He was on yesterday's cut list for Anaheim. Look in the Trades etc, thread and Oct 3rd waivers.

Their fanbase might think he's legitimate top 4, but their coaching and management staff see other issues in his game, same as the Canucks did.

Thanks - I missed that.

Pity.  He showed in Utica that he is not just all offense, but ofc it's harder defending against NHL players.  Dont think the Canucks gave him much of a chance though

Just now, Googlie said:

Thanks - I missed that.

Pity.  He showed in Utica that he is not just all offense, but ofc it's harder defending against NHL players.  Dont think the Canucks gave him much of a chance though

Being effective in the AHL vs being effective defensively in the NHL, are 2 completely different things. It's why I think Juolevi has the leg up on Rathbone to start the season in Vancouver. I think Rathbone would benefit immensely from a couple of months of refining his defensive coverage in Abbotsford. Rathbone is REALLY close to being fully NHL ready, I think just a little time playing top pairing minutes in the AHL and working on that coverage, we'll have a much better D in him, for a lot of years.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1