The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Olli Juolevi to Panthers for Juho Lammikko, Noah Juulsen

Just now, Teemu Selänne said:

I'm neutral on Green being kept/fired these days but sorry there's no good strategy where Chiasson gets a top-6 spot and Hoglander doesn't.

There is no good strategy where even Pearson gets a top 6 role over Hoglander IMO. Hoglander is a dynamic player and creates things out of nothing. 

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland would be an opponents worst nightmare in terms of aggressiveness and puck possession. And I think Horvat would take an even bigger step offensively with that role.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Shows how much we're missing Brock, Motte, Hamonic, and Sutter, eh. Imagine...

Miller-Pettersson-Brock

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Motte-Dickinson-Höglander

Podkolzin-Sutter-MacEwen

Hughes-Hamonic

OEL-Myers

Hunt-Hamonic

Rathbone-Schenn

Demko Halak

Knowing how few times the Canucks have had their best 12 forwards and top 6 dee. available. I would bet a hundred dollars that we will never see the quoted perfect 4 lines and 3 dee pairs.

Edited by KILLER

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

There is no good strategy where even Pearson gets a top 6 role over Hoglander IMO. Hoglander is a dynamic player and creates things out of nothing. 

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland would be an opponents worst nightmare in terms of aggressiveness and puck possession. And I think Horvat would take an even bigger step offensively with that role.

Yup.  Pearson would be great in a third line, checking, and PK role.  We have the players now for that to happen too.  

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Shows how much we're missing Brock, Motte, Hamonic, and Sutter, eh. Imagine...

Miller-Pettersson-Brock

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Motte-Dickinson-Höglander

Podkolzin-Sutter-MacEwen

Hughes-Hamonic

OEL-Myers

Hunt-Hamonic

Rathbone-Schenn

Demko Halak

If Hunt is a regular D man then Benning and/or Green failed big time this offseason.

How they think that Juolevi doesn’t provide more in the role with room for improvement I’ll never understand. Can Hunt even kill penalties?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Yup.  Pearson would be great in a third line, checking, and PK role.  We have the players now for that to happen too.  

That’s exactly what I think. With the lack of PK forward options right now, it’s time for Green to admit Pearson is too streaky offensively, doesn’t provide anywhere near the offensive line driving play as Hoglander, and frankly is too slow for a Horvat-Garland line. 

Pearson is a below average second line and pp guy and an above average to good 3rd line and pk option. Time to use players where they actually fit not where you wish they would fit.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If Hunt is a regular D man then Benning and/or Green failed big time this offseason.

How they think that Juolevi doesn’t provide more in the role with room for improvement I’ll never understand. Can Hunt even kill penalties?

Not sure the Hunt love by Green tbh. Maybe he skated well during a bag skate? Because outside of that he was pretty meh.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

That’s exactly what I think. With the lack of PK forward options right now, it’s time for Green to admit Pearson is too streaky offensively, doesn’t provide anywhere near the offensive line driving play as Hoglander, and frankly is too slow for a Horvat-Garland line. 

Pearson is a below average second line and pp guy and an above average to good 3rd line and pk option. Time to use players where they actually fit not where you wish they would fit.

Was it Henrik or Daniel that said exactly what you’re saying just a month ago?  “Guys need to play at their level, and not up the lineup for a team to be a winner.”  Benning did great bringing in players to fill roles, so now we can play guys where they fit.   

• Cheers 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Not sure the Hunt love by Green tbh. Maybe he skated well during a bag skate? Because outside of that he was pretty meh.

Hunt is a decent popcorn eating press box guy.  He plays both sides, and the coach knows what to expect.  That’s his role.  When Hamonic is back, then Hunt will be in Abbotsford.  Schenn then settles into his best role, which is popcorn eating press box guy.  

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Agreed. And he still can provide offense from the 3rd line too. Bo deserves better wingers, could be one of the top 2 way forwards in the NHL with improved linemates. Kesler without character issues, haha. Can always rotate Pearson in and out but the team is better suited with him on the 3rd line now, imho.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Was it Henrik or Daniel that said exactly what you’re saying just a month ago?  “Guys need to play at their level, and not up the lineup for a team to be a winner.”  Benning did great bringing in players to fill roles, so now we can play guys where they fit.   

Everyone knows I am not the biggest fan of Benning. But he pleasantly surprised me with pretty much every move he made in the off-season. He filled obvious holes. Obviously the defense needed a lot more work but some of that was of course Hamonic related. 

He gave Green a clear roster blueprint. The lines basically wrote themselves in terms of fit and benefit to the team. Green then took that blueprint and applied his vets over young player bias and honestly it looks as bad as last year in terms of sustainable offensive pressure and sound defensive play. 

&^@#ing up a roster this good, which we haven’t seen since 2011 is a pretty tough thing to do. 

Give Gerard Gallant this roster we are going deep in the playoffs I bet.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Hunt is a decent popcorn eating press box guy.  He plays both sides, and the coach knows what to expect.  That’s his role.  When Hamonic is back, then Hunt will be in Abbotsford.  Schenn then settles into his best role, which is popcorn eating press box guy.  

Unfortunately it doesn’t sound like Benning has any idea when Hamonic will be back.

He needs a more long term solution. Having a bottom pair of Hunt and Schenn will equal alot of goals against.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, KILLER said:

Knowing how few times the Canucks have had their best 12 forwards and top 6 dee. available. I would bet a hundred dollars that we will never see the quoted perfect 4 lines and 3 dee pairs.

Especially since our head coach is incapable of setting the correct lineup, preferring to let AHL trash waste valuable minutes.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hunt plays like complete trash on both sides.  No room for a defenseman who can't play defense; really hoping we find someone on waivers to send this pylon to the AHL where he belongs.

Edited by King Heffy

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Hunt plays like complete trash on both sides.  No room for a defenseman who can't play defense; really hoping we find someone on waivers to send this pylon to the AHL where he belongs.

So he DID steal your girlfriend AND insult your mom’s cooking!!!!?!

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Am I the only one who actually feels that Horvat is somewhat overrated defensively but massively underrated offensively by this coach?

I have actual confidence Horvat could approach point per game numbers if freed from Pearson and the shutdown role. Dickinson can easily take most of that on IMO.

Considering Horvat gets the bulk of the tough defensive duties, he’s doing pretty well when viewed in that context.  There simply isn’t anyone better in the team to take that role.  Now with Sutter out, there’s even less available.  Dickinson played more as a winger for Dallas so I doubt he’ll free up Horvat from those duties by any large degree.  

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Am I the only one who actually feels that Horvat is somewhat overrated defensively but massively underrated offensively by this coach?

I have actual confidence Horvat could approach point per game numbers if freed from Pearson and the shutdown role. Dickinson can easily take most of that on IMO.

He’s not overrated defensively. He’s just playing the role he’s been asked to play, when his true nature is exactly how u say it. His adapting to a defensive game has been incredibly valuable to the top 6 because of who rounds it out. That’s the only crux…his own linemates and an unbalanced top 6-9 have forced him away from instincts in order to be responsible to a role that someone else should have been brought in to play. Again, just an opinion. 

Edited by RWJC

10 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Considering Horvat gets the bulk of the tough defensive duties, he’s doing pretty well when viewed in that context.  There simply isn’t anyone better in the team to take that role.  Now with Sutter out, there’s even less available.  Dickinson played more as a winger for Dallas so I doubt he’ll free up Horvat from those duties by any large degree.  

Horvat is not a Selke calibre defensive guy is my point. He might have been the best option on previous rosters and has done a serviceable job in that role. 

Dickinson is a very sound defensive player. Between him and Pearson they could take on far more of that shutdown stuff compared to our garbage bottom 6 the past several years.

The reality is our team has not been great defensively for a long time even with Horvat in that role. Trying something different was kind of the whole point of the off-season moves. 

Green coaches only to his familiarity and bis. In short, he coaches scared. That’s why he is not a top tier coach.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1