The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 26, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Green has until US thanksgiving (1/4 season) to right the ship

If not I think benning cans him, Shaw takes over

If benning doesn’t and we miss playoffs I think ownership gets rid of benning in offseason ...

I like benning a lot but he’s had enough years to figure things out , clean up his own messes ... between him and coaching they’ve had enough time to instill a team identity, filled with foundational players, where other coach should say that’s a good team over there ... but just isn’t happening ...

too much talent on this team and it’s wasting away

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

So more roster tweaking is the answer ?

A lot of teams are having this problem or had this problem. Like Kyle Dubas, you may just have to sit around and wait and hope for the best. Florida figured it out by having a major retooling. Winnipeg is having the same issue year after year. No one thought that the 2011 Canucks was going the distance because they had the same issues. No one knows. It sometimes come down to how patient the ownership is and whether they force the G.M. to make changes. 

Heck, maybe Pettersson will skate better and don't fall as much 10 games form now. He won't have to dump the puck all the time for Boeser and Miller to fetch.

So, big wonderful ceremony, finally playing in front of fans in almost 600 days, and the PTO guy scores the first goal. Could've been the only goal if Bo wasn't doing captain things and trying to drag his lazy a** team, into the fight.

I'm finding Pettersson to be a disappointing player. Sure he gets an assist or a goal here and there, but he could be so much more with that big bad brain and the pure skill. It's not just this year. It was last year too (before he got injured). He looks weak, unstable on his skates, losing end of hits, giveaways, pucks stolen, caught up ice and too slow to get back, etc.   

The Canucks also really need an upgrade at #3LD (Rathbone). He needs another year in Abbotsford.

Was really hoping Zuccarello and Garland would drop the gloves. 

25 minutes ago, kloubek said:

The coach is there to motivate the team, encourage the team to play a certain way, massage the lines and work with his assistants to draw up plays and situational responses.

I'm certainly not squarely on the Green bandwagon. I feel he generally does a good job of working with the players and getting a good effort most nights - but I also feel he and/or his assistants aren't coming up with plays that work. I've felt this way pretty much through his entire tenure - though it was excusable earlier on as we struggled for talent.

Something needs to happen for this team to turn the corner to be a contender, and I'm not certain what that is. As mentioned, if our stars (Yes, Quinn has been the best of the three) don't produce, we're going to have a tough time winning games. I think when they are back 100%, we will have a better idea of who is at fault for the lack of success if it persists.

Imo, JB admiited to his past mistakes by re vamping the roster, to perhaps re evaluate the Staffs ability with a better roster - basically, no more excuses (?).

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

A lot of teams are having this problem or had this problem. Like Kyle Dubas, you may just have to sit around and wait and hope for the best. Florida figured it out by having a major retooling. Winnipeg is having the same issue year after year. No one thought that the 2011 Canucks was going the distance because they had the same issues. No one knows. It sometimes come down to how patient the ownership is and whether they force the G.M. to make changes. 

Heck, maybe Pettersson will skate better and don't fall as much 10 games form now. He won't have to dump the puck all the time for Boeser and Miller to fetch.

I get it; and (imo) FLA uptrend started when they hired Tallon and Tallon hired Queenville.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

47 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Maybe. Last night I personally felt it was more a player problem. The guys were trying and moving out there, but a couple too many giveaways (as usual) and attempted plays that failed put us on the losing side of the game. Until two of our top scorers in Pettersson and Boeser look like the players they are, I think it's unfair to place the blame solely on Green.

It’s unfair to place the blame solely on Green. I mean, Baumgartner and King deserve their share too. Totally ineffective coaches at the NHL level.

Of course it’s on the players too.

But here’s the thing. The roster has been completely overhauled. There isn’t the cap space to do much more without a core player getting shipped out. The only real opportunity to really shake things up now is a coaching change. If they do it early enough maybe this season can be salvaged and the team will be ready to play how they can.

The coaches have lost the room and they clearly suck at how they evaluate players. 

King especially was just a terrible, let’s be cheap hire. He can’t run a pp to save his life and it shows. Newell Brown staying would have been better than him.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I think it took until this game. For me anyway. I'm finally on board with fire Green. I have backed him long enough. There are things I like about him. But he's just not getting enough out of this team. It's time to get a coach.  

Lol.

I'm close to getting there too.  I'll give it until the end of the home stand.  That'll be 13 games played.  Enough to see if the team has righted the ship.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It’s unfair to place the blame solely on Green. I mean, Baumgartner and King deserve their share too. Totally ineffective coaches at the NHL level.

Of course it’s on the players too.

But here’s the thing. The roster has been completely overhauled. There isn’t the cap space to do much more without a core player getting shipped out. The only real opportunity to really shake things up now is a coaching change. If they do it early enough maybe this season can be salvaged and the team will be ready to play how they can.

The coaches have lost the room and they clearly suck at how they evaluate players. 

Ditto.   The money has been spent and the product on the ice is still the same.

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I get it; and (imo) FLA uptrend started when they hired Queenville.

This team is like an unreliable 12 cylinder engine. You know that if all cylinders are firing it is a force to be reckoned with. However most of time it is cruising on 4 to 8 cylinders depending on road conditions and the weather. The mechanic is trying to fix the car constantly. His hair is graying and many people want him fired :lol:

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

Ditto.   The money has been spent and the product on the ice is still the same.

That’s my issue. It’s very clearly coaching holding the team back now. Different roster, lots of talent, same uninspired, boring, ineffective play.

I said it the minute Green needed to bag skate the team after the Buffalo game. That’s a coach the players have tuned out.

3 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

This team is like an unreliable 12 cylinder engine. You know that if all cylinders are firing it is a force to be reckoned with. However most of time it is cruising on 4 to 8 cylinders depending on road conditions and the weather. The mechanic is trying to fix the car constantly. His hair is graying and many people want him fired :lol:

Basically, more roster tweaking is needed based on your POV - I get it - cause the mechanic is not at fault.  I would argue, not all mechanics are not the same on how they would diagnose & fix a problem.

Would be nice to see how this engine will perform with a different mechanic.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

EP looks like a guy content to just ride out his 3 years. He doesn’t seem to even want to be a difference maker. He says the right things and jokes with the media about how it gives them something to talk about. Like far too many people on this team (Benning, Green, the vet group of players, etc) it’s all talk, no walk. 

They need a coach who isn’t their buddy or who they know they won’t be held accountable with. This team needs a true leader as a coach at this point or nothing is going to change.

Gerard Gallant would have been a great fit for this type of roster. 

People need to finally admit that this team simply has a losing culture and accepts losing. Need a new GM and coaches to have any chance at changing that. The eta of excuse making needs to finally end.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Basically, more roster tweaking is needed based on your POV - I get it - cause the mechanic is not at fault.  I would argue, not all mechanics are not the same on how they would diagnose & fix a problem.

Would be nice to see how this engine will perform with a different mechanic.

The problem is that most mechanics out there are having short lived tenure as well. I don't even know if the right mechanic is available for hiring. Maybe the one we have is the best we can hope for for now. 

Benning will wait until they're mathematically out of the playoffs before firing Green - if they miss the playoffs. Then I suspect Shaw will take over as interim coach, and they hire someone in the offseason. Benning has done what he could to improve this team, and on paper he certainly did.

They'll spin it to wait after 20 games and see. Well, what if they're still a 0.500 team after 20 games?  That's not good enough. The Sharks, Flames, Oilers, Knights and even the Kraken are tough teams this year. Wish they'd quit f'ing around with giving rookie coaches an opportunity to learn on the fly. This is no longer the time for that.  Get this team's fans a championship to be proud of already, Geez. 

Edited by NUCKER67

Green is definitely the problem here. Horvat scores and we need another goal so he throws his fourth “energy” line out that hasn’t scored a goal all season. Makes no sense. We need a goal not clock killing. 

Fire Green, get rid of Baumer, can King. New coaching team will deploy a system to benefit our forwards, change up the PP and have OEL on it, replace Miller with Garland. 

Maybe I should coach. It’s so obvious….

• Haha 1

Green is too attached to certain players to ever utilize the roster properly. And his usage of Podkolzin alone should be enough to fire him.

I don’t care if he thinks rookies need to earn it or not. His problem is thinking vets don’t.

Down by a goal and his answer is Lammikko and Highmore? Honestly I just don’t know what to even say to that. He is an ahl level coach where it’s a bit easier to get away with being willing to lose on principle. Doesn’t he always say the nhl is a league where you have to be able to perform?

He needs to point that toward himself or Benning needs to do it for him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1