The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 26, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Yes and no regarding development and winning.  The team isn't filled with all "prospects".  There are veterans on the team too.  They're there to teach the prospects how to be professional in how they do things.  Winning is what all "pro" teams try to do.  And the AHL is a "pro" league.  They're there to make money too, if possible.  So if the team is winning, they'll get more fans in the stands.  Just like in the NHL.

Well, for me history is much of a clubs identity.

Utica that has moved around a lot,has messed up their history.

But for the Canucks a AHL club in Abbotsford is wonderful.

Fans can go to both clubs now. 

1 hour ago, whysoserious said:

Why was a rebuilding team overpaying for a player like Beagle who was in the tail end of his career when we already had Sutter. Somehow within a season we went from a rebuilding team that needed to overpay for veterans to a team that's selling futures for a rental like a contender.

I don't know how you can say Holtby was a safe bet when he was coming off multiple poor seasons. He wasn't bought out because he wasn't needed anymore, he was bought out because we needed the cap space. We kicked the can down the road and will have more dead cap next year. If it wasn't for all this cap mismanagement, we probably could have retained Tanev and/or Toffoli. 

Vets were brought in to mentor on and off the ice, results won't show for awhile yet but they will, old news? yup! 

In a training session Shaw told Rathbone "execution is more important than quickness". Rathbone ahead of the second goal for the Wild with a no-look pass directly on the tape of the Wild forward. You have to have your head up and watch where you pass the puck. Rathbone can't make such plays in the NHL. Other teams make you pay for it. It was a risky play should have played the puck along the boards.

That's the thing: if you develop prospects on the big stage they are gonna make mistakes and opponents take advantage of it. Abbotsford Canucks would have been the best choice for Rathbone.

• Upvote 1

Well I liked short stretches in the first period when they showed flashes of brilliance BUT for whatever reason, they just didn't  forecheck anywhere near fast enough and way too many passes to the PP and not that fast of puck movement all game so it gave minny a chance to set up and defend well. Hughes for some reason stopped shooting his bombs and passed too much when he could have shot but even if he didn't score there would probably been juicy rebounds but for some reason it was an "all pass" night for him for the most part.

Except for 1 or 2 small gaffs, I love how Myers played, one of his best outings yet. 

All in all, when they play a full 60 like that small flash of brilliance, but will still take a few games or more. I'm hardly concerned..

Edited by iceman64
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

I agree it was a mistake to keep Green, and yes i do believe tanev was the only move that backfired since 2017 if you can think of another one i'd love to hear it, Re-signig of Green was pressured by the owner so i am giving JB the benefit of the doubt, I think this roster is so much better then they are playing and firing JB rn wont change anything

Of course it was a misteke.   Uncle Jim had a chance to provide a floundering team of new-young players a fresh start after years of mediocre AHL style results, so what did he do?  Resigned Green for a continuation of the same old -same old and now you see the results.  Just a continuation of the Ardvark failed methods and deployment of the players in a hopeless futile system of failure & desperation hockey that we are all sick & tired of seeing.

After Green is gone in the near future and if we actually manage to hire an NHL experienced coach - you'll likely see the team performance improve dramatically, as I strongly believe that many of the players have tuned Green out and are just coasting along awaiting change which we all know is coming.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The only move you can think of since 2017 that has backfired is letting Tanev walk?

He had one good off-season. This last one. But now he has no cards left to play. If this roster doesn’t get results, he is showing he made a mistake keeping Green. If he tries to again significantly change the roster to fit Green, he is showing he brought in the wrong players. 

Sometimes a team just needs a new direction. A different voice not already biased. 

Benning has used his fire the coach get out of jail free card already. He should not get another one.

He won't - This is his & Greens "Last Hurrah".    You can Bank on that !

5 hours ago, rekker said:

Crowd started off brutal and had little to cheer about and just got bored. I envy some of these rinks that are just rocking. 

It used to rock when i went to games.   We'd scream until we lost our voices.   That's on the fans - and possibly also on the security for "hushing" fans for being too vocal.   

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

Well I liked short stretches in the first period when they showed flashes of brilliance BUT for whatever reason, they just didn't  forecheck anywhere near fast enough and way too many passes to the PP and not that fast of puck movement all game so it gave minny a chance to set up and defend well. Hughes for some reason stopped shooting his bombs and passed too much when he could have shot but even if he didn't score there would probably been juicy rebounds but for some reason it was an "all pass" night for him for the most part.

Except for 1 or 2 small gaffs, I love how Myers played, one of his best outings yet. 

All in all, when they play a full 60 like that small flash of brilliance, but will still take a few games or more. I'm hardly concerned..

Calm down!  We aren't allowed to be reasonable on the PGT, it's all gloom and doom after a loss - or "were going streaking" after a win.    As an aside, i've sure enjoyed the media out East - they aren't freaking out and ready to fire Keefe yet.   Surprise surprise.   But they are concerned. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

In a training session Shaw told Rathbone "execution is more important than quickness". Rathbone ahead of the second goal for the Wild with a no-look pass directly on the tape of the Wild forward. You have to have your head up and watch where you pass the puck. Rathbone can't make such plays in the NHL. Other teams make you pay for it. It was a risky play should have played the puck along the boards.

That's the thing: if you develop prospects on the big stage they are gonna make mistakes and opponents take advantage of it. Abbotsford Canucks would have been the best choice for Rathbone.

Mistakes are the mana for learning.   That said at this level he shouldn't be doing that.   Our left side isn't so deep anymore.    So Green or whomever, is going to have to live with them too.   

4 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

The Vancouver crowd has sucked for 20 years. Which about when they ended the 4 tix for $101 Rock 101 deal. Part of it is suits and I really think a part of it is the actual fan isn't there while fake ass fans are in too high of a number. 

Compare it to the pacific coliseum days and no contest.   That was a crowd to be proud of.  Youre right.  Id add to the fact that the traffic and getting to a game is as annoying as ever.

We need real fans back.

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Because they could all coach better than he could.

He seems like he’s reading out of a hockey for dummies book. At least with Shaw you can tell he provides some real insight and knowledge of the game.

Another thing I noticed is Greens pregame speeches. Nothing about them instills confidence or a willingness to go through walls for him. He literally goes over the fundamentals of hockey every game that he reads off a cheat sheet. Almost as bad as Willie and his clipboard…

Babcock used to "coach" almost  every time he spoke to the media...it was awful/funny and face palm worthy to watch at times.   Had about five catch phrases on repeat and he'd be saying the same things in the dressing room like some slightly angry robot with the media tidbits from the room pre-game "Got to compete hard "  "Got to get to pucks"  "Hard on checks"   " Hard on pucks"...each phrase had about four words it was kind of funny to watch.    Just wanted to see him talk like a normal human being once in awhile after or before a game.    

That said i did enjoy Crows speeches that were released .... honestly haven't seen many of Greens. 

4 hours ago, mll said:

What makes them a good team?   Their roster looks average.

They don't have a C1 or a C2.   Kaprizov at least has Zuccarello but Fiala still has no one to play with.  Kaprizov is having a rough start (similar criticism to Pettersson actually) and Fiala creates but he is on an island and ends up doing too much.

Gaudreau who is playing C to Fiala was a 4th liner for Pittsburgh and often a healthy scratch or in the AHL and before that Nashville had him mostly in the AHL.  At 28 he has only some 100 NHL games and often not even at C. It's not like there is a decently skilled winger on the opposite of Fiala either.  Before this game it was Rask.

They playing hella better than the canucks and are 5-1 , time will tell, but for now they playing really good

5 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I was a proponent of firing AV at the time but with hindsight I think you are right.

Sorry, but if AV was coach of this team, Hughes, Petterson, Podz etc. would have never made the Team, my memory was never as short as to remember he would never give rookies a chance. AV got lucky and caught the crest of a good wave of a Team that was just coming togeather as he joined, and hats off to him, as he he rode it well.  Just like a new NHL experienced coach would do with this team right now, because most of the components are there.

Does anybody on this forum really believe, that even if we squeak into the playoffs, that Green has the capacity to outcoach four other Team Coaches? Yeah we took out a tired cup winner in the Blues, it happens, but that series against Vegas was gruelling to watch.  If your up against a stronger team, that’s when you need strong coaching, and a game of checkers gets turned into a game of chess.

Know that this might not be popular given last nights result.   But why don't we all take a breath and evaluate the season based on 20 or so games?   Small sample size so far.    Takes some perspective really.   Back in 93-94 after our amazing and at the time club record 92-93 season (Murzyn and Ward ... check out their plus minus...and also without loser points over 100 points was something else!)  a lot of fans weren't that happy.   Expected a lot more from our club.    I know we have a very good forward group right now, not as good as back then but it's hard to find an era where we actually had two scoring lines available to us so get the impatience.  Canucks aren't there yet.    Or ... well you just never know.   Given our top supposed top line anyways hasn't clicked yet ... i'm sure management, ownership feels the same way as i do, the season has barely started.    Media is defending Sheldon Keefe at the moment,  so don't get why anyone would be surprised the media is also defending Green. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I think i will take the next few games away from the GDT.

The content is about as good as the the teams play.

We were down by 1 last night and the moaning was tweaked up to a fever pitch already. The first home game and pages of 'oh the fans in the building are soo lame and quiet'. You know the same fans that shell out the most to support the team?...If it's not one thing to whine about it's another.

This fan base hates itself. I don't enjoy that much constant negativity.

Go Nucks.