The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 30, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't, I think players on the ice don't trust each other to be in the position they are supposed to be in.  That takes time to build and they're turning over the roster, so there's a lot of unfamiliarity amongst teammates.  

Why would the coaching staff be giving opposing directions to different players.  That doesnt really happen at tye NHL level, not even at the Jr level

Coaching is also more than systems et all. It's having the abilty to bring a group together and pull in the same direction. Some coaches just make better assistants than head coaches. Some coaches make better players than coaches. Maybe Green doesn't have that leader quality that a lot of great coaches have. 

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

They are a package. You preach a system and if it isn't bought into there should be repercussions. You preach a system and who is rewarded or penlaized though it can bring a team together, or not. Is the message reinforced consistently. Again, neither of us in the room so pointless really. Would still prefer to swap some pints with Nate Schmidt and hear his take on it.

Again, I don't disagree about that part of it and we saw that in spades with Jake and Boeser.......two players making similar mistakes but only one if them taken to task by Green while the other is gifted ice time.  As I've said multiple times, that will be Greens downfall 

However, no coach is going to tell players to play play his system in two different ways.

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't disagree with lineup decisions and I think that'll be his downfall.  Again, I don't think replacing will change the culture of the players.  Something stinks and they need to find out why and make a roster change, imo

I feel like it's a simple connection though - the something that stinks is....losing.  Stringing together losses sucks the life out of the room and players can become agitated and frustrated.  That's where a coach has to intervene and provide leadership and direction.

The culture of the players who are struggling has shown to be that they have a strong work ethic and are committed to improving.  It's not like we have a bunch of flake divas ...these guys want to win and have seemed very open to "learning" how to do that.

Anyhow...I'm reserving judgement for a few more games as this can turnaround quickly if we string a few good wins together.  If we continue to lose (and not score), it's time to look at coaching rather than the guys on the bench.  Even IF they're the problem, it's a coach's job to identify and help correct that.  That's usually how it unfolds in this league...I do agree that coaches have shelf lives and sometimes grow stale.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, I don't disagree about that part of it and we saw that in spades with Jake and Boeser.......two players making similar mistakes but only one if them taken to task by Green while the other is gifted ice time.  As I've said multiple times, that will be Greens downfall 

However, no coach is going to tell players to play play his system in two different ways.

For sure. But using Jake and Brock as examples, Your sending mixed messages, are you not? This confusing implementation? 

Just now, rekker said:

For sure. But using Jake and Brock as examples, Your sending mixed messages, are you not? This confusing implementation? 

The reward/punishment context is skewed with Green, there's no doubt about that.  He clearly has an issue with playing favourites and that is, ultimately, what will end his run in Van, imo 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I feel like it's a simple connection though - the something that stinks is....losing.  Stringing together losses sucks the life out of the room and players can become agitated and frustrated.  That's where a coach has to intervene and provide leadership and direction.

The culture of the players who are struggling has shown to be that they have a strong work ethic and are committed to improving.  It's not like we have a bunch of flake divas ...these guys want to win and have seemed very open to "learning" how to do that.

Anyhow...I'm reserving judgement for a few more games as this can turnaround quickly if we string a few good wins together.  If we continue to lose (and not score), it's time to look at coaching rather than the guys on the bench.  Even IF they're the problem, it's a coach's job to identify and help correct that.  That's usually how it unfolds in this league...I do agree that coaches have shelf lives and sometimes grow stale.

It's more than that to me.  I've coached enough teams and taught in enough classrooms to know when someone in the mix is toxic and I feel that with this team.

• Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

The reward/punishment context is skewed with Green, there's no doubt about that.  He clearly has an issue with playing favourites and that is, ultimately, what will end his run in Van, imo 

Bang on Stawns. We agree on that one for sure. Alright, back to my Sunday morning workout. Have a good day fellow fanatic. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

5 years as coach,  .485 winning % and one playoff run when they probably don't make the post season is covid doesn't shorten the year. 

Not a great resume. If you were 1 of 30 leaders of groups and your team had those results in 5 years, there is 99.9% chance you lose your job. 

Especially if they keep changing the employees to help but the results are the same. 

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's more than that to me.  I've coached enough teams and taught in enough classrooms to know when someone in the mix is toxic and I feel that with this team.

Sometimes it may be the coach/teacher though...I've seen that enough times.

Not saying that's the case here, but we really don't know if there's a toxic element in the room.  At all.  That's pure speculation and I'd say when a team is winning, everyone's happier.  If you get some guys who take the losses hard and aren't keeping it a secret?  I'm ok with that.  

We really have zero insight into the room...it's all just pure speculation and what happens when losing streaks occur.  I'm quite happy if the team turns it around and starts to win and I'm sure the vibe in the room will also reflect that.  

Just now, AbbyNux said:

They have replaced everyone but the captain. 

I mean from the playoff bubble team.  It's not how many, but who you replace.  I feel like there's a player (maybe two) on that roster who needs to go and that will make a huge difference in the makeup of the team.  It's up to JB to figure out who that is.

42 minutes ago, stawns said:

It takes a lot longer than three years for a core to grow together and become a legit contender.  

Wasn’t it Drisitall last night talking about how long their core had been working on their ozone play? To many fans(?) on here seem to think that this young core should be further along than reality should expect. We enter the season hoping for a playoff opportunity but many fans think this group is a serious contender. It isn’t. Ultimately it isn’t Green who is out there playing. Experienced hockey people can pass judgement on whether the coaching is the problem or not. The coaches are subject to review like the players are. Play 25 games and then review and decide. Much of the critic on here comes from ignorance more than anything else.

Solid games: Petey, Bailey, Garland, Demko

Improved: BB, Rathbone, Schenn, Miller, Podz, Hughes 

I thought the Canucks played a solid game against a top team. Yes Demko saved them a lot but so did the Oiler tender. My biggest concern is the age old one with Van, their size. The Oilers played physical early and other than Schenn the Canucks didn’t have a serious response. Van has more size coming and it will be needed. Special mention on Rathbone. His confidence seemed shaken in recent games and I thought he had a good game. Covered better in his own zone and created ozone chances. I have liked Burroughs play as well but Schenn did well. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, -DLC- said:

Sometimes it may be the coach/teacher though...I've seen that enough times.

Not saying that's the case here, but we really don't know if there's a toxic element in the room.  At all.  That's pure speculation and I'd say when a team is winning, everyone's happier.  If you get some guys who take the losses hard and aren't keeping it a secret?  I'm ok with that.

Of course it's speculation, everything we say here is speculation.  I think Greens favouritism and gifting of ice time to certain players is a big issue, for sure, but I don't think removing him fixes this lineup.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I mean from the playoff bubble team.  It's not how many, but who you replace.  I feel like there's a player (maybe two) on that roster who needs to go and that will make a huge difference in the makeup of the team.  It's up to JB to figure out who that is.

Name names.  So we can offer our opinion on that.

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Wasn’t it Drisitall last night talking about how long their core had been working on their ozone play? To many fans(?) on here seem to think that this young core should be further along than reality should expect. We enter the season hoping for a playoff opportunity but many fans think this group is a serious contender. It isn’t. Ultimately it isn’t Green who is out there playing. Experienced hockey people can pass judgement on whether the coaching is the problem or not. The coaches are subject to review like the players are. Play 25 games and then review and decide. Much of the critic on here comes from ignorance more than anything else.

Solid games: Petey, Bailey, Garland, Demko

Improved: BB, Rathbone, Schenn, Miller, Podz, Hughes 

I thought the Canucks played a solid game against a top team. Yes Demko saved them a lot but so did the Oiler tender. My biggest concern is the age old one with Van, their size. The Oilers played physical early and other than Schenn the Canucks didn’t have a serious response. Van has more size coming and it will be needed. Special mention on Rathbone. His confidence seemed shaken in recent games and I thought he had a good game. Covered better in his own zone and created ozone chances. I have liked Burroughs play as well but Schenn did well. 

I think that's an accurate assessment, though I don't see lack of push back as much of an issue.  They don't look bullied to me out there, they look like they're unsure of their teammates right now.

Remember Colorado a few years ago........I feel van is in a similar spot.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Imo it is Miller that needs to go.

Shouldn't really surprise anyone, already on his third team, and coach A.V. has made comment on Miller needing a bit of special attention, during his Ranger days anyway.

• Vintage 1