The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mikhail Sergachev suspended 2 games

Rate this topic

12 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Maybe not shoulder to shoulder in the traditional sense, but there was contact between their shoulders before Sergachev clipped Marner's chin on the drive through.

I suppose you could make that argument, but "point of contact" in my eyes is where the brunt of the impact happens.. I don't think their jerseys lightly brushing each other counts lol 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, timberz21 said:

When the guy is in possession of the puck yes he needs to keep his head up....in that case he's chasing the puck while being hooked off balance by another defender.  How is he suppose to keep his head up in that case.

Sergachev could've easily scoop up the puck instead as Marner lost it and couldn't even reach for it anymore.  

Playing the puck on an elite skilled guy like Marner is fine providing the body is taken too.  Sergachev was protecting the middle of the ice.  MM got clipped in the chin.  It happens.  MM is tough.  

8 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

That's what I'm thinking; he didn't actually hit Marner's head, it looked more shoulder to shoulder with the follow-through inevitably clipping his chin.  
There's been worse hits to the head for sure, and I think a major penalty would've sufficed.

Wow, all the people in this thread. "Solid hit" "Good hit though" "maple leaf all star/double standard" "Marner should have kept his head up" "more shoulder to shoulder"... It's like you all didn't even see the clip!

image.png.892a643472ba36b522788d4809ae5c3a.png

I mean, look at that. You can see 95% of Marner's body in that clip. Sergachev barely brushes by the leading shoulder and makes plenty of contact with the head as he cuts across the front of his body. The point is to hit through the body, and Sergachev is no where near doing that.

Totally fair suspension, and nothing Marner does turns this from a legal hit to an illegal one.

Edited by elvis15
  • Vintage 1