The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Pettersson for PLD / Boeser+ for Laine

5 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

[proposal] Canucks-Jets:  A proposal that you guys probably won't like

Hey guys,

Unlike most other proposals that I've posted on here, I'm about to propose something that most of you probably won't like.......:-p

To Jets:  Elias Pettersson

To Canucks:  Pierre Luc Dubois (+ draft pick(s) if it evens out the deal)

Why the Jets do this:

• They get a younger and more talented asset in Pettersson
  • The Jets are already big and heavy.   With an elite talented center playmaker on their hands, maybe they further maximize guys like Ehlers and Kyle Connor even further

Why the Canucks do this:

• They get bigger up front
  • They get another shot at signing an RFA to a long term deal.  Unlike Petey, Dubois likely will never be a 9-10 million dollar player (although the way Pettersson is playing, he might never be that guy either). With Dubois however, he could realistically be signed between 7-8 million for the next 7-8 years which is pretty good value.  By signing PLD to a 7-8 million dollar deal, you ensure a stronger likelihood of keeping an internal cap.  

Only reason I dont like it is I feel like we'd be selling low. We know Petey is obscenely talented, and if we're gonna trade him, it should be when he's putting that talent on full display.. and ideally at the trade deadline to really milk the returns. 

• Cheers 1

Was also thinking last night about a Canucks-Canadiens deal that would see Petey and Brock head over to Montreal for Dvorak, Anderson, a 2023 1st, and a good prospect.  

Both Anderson and Dvorak are signed Long term and lower cap hits than Petey and Brock collectively, and so the Canucks could try and use that cap space to upgrade their top pairing RD at some point.

Collectively, Anderson and Dvorak would make us a lot bigger up front and would make us more difficult to play against come playoff time.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Was also thinking last night about a Canucks-Canadiens deal that would see Petey and Brock head over to Montreal for Dvorak, Anderson, a 2023 1st, and a good prospect.  

Both Anderson and Dvorak are signed Long term and lower cap hits than Petey and Brock collectively, and so the Canucks could try and use that cap space to upgrade their top pairing RD at some point.

Collectively, Anderson and Dvorak would make us a lot bigger up front and would make us more difficult to play against come playoff time.

A Boeser+ for Tkachuk deal if the Flames are still having thoughts of moving on from MT.

Tkachuk-PLD-Garland

Miller-Horvat-Podkolzin

Pearson-Dickinson-Hoglander

Motte-Lammiko-Bailey

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Poolman

Schenn-Hamonic

Demko

Halak

PLD, Miller and Horvat are some big boys to contend against up front. It's a formula that has worked in the past (for Kopitar, O'Reilly, the Bruins with Bergeron, Getzlaf) as long as we have skilled forwards to complement them - and we do now with Garland, Boeser, Podz coming through as well. 

Unless Pettersson ends up blossoming in a few years time and becomes an elite 90-100 point player, this would be a slam-dunk trade. I doubt it happens though, because you could argue we have some size in our top-6 with Miller, Boeser and Horvat, but the Jets will almost rely on PLD for size.

Petey is a dynamic talent who hs been going thru a long rough stretch. He came flying out the gates in his 1st season. This is the kid who beat Peter Forsbergs SHL record, becoming the highest scoring junior aged player in the leagues history. You hang onto a player who does this and trust his development in the NHL continues. I believe with his skill set and desire to win/be the best, Petey will be a top 10 scorer in the league for the forseeable future, starting in 2022-23. 

Edited by KirkSave
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, KirkSave said:

Petey is a dynamic talent who hs been going thru a long rough stretch. He came flying out the gates in his 1st season. This is the kid who beat Peter Forsbergs SHL record, becoming the highest scoring junior aged player in the leagues history. You hang onto a player who does this and trust his development in the NHL continues. I believe with his skill set and desire to win/be the best, Petey will be a top 10 scorer in the league for the forseeable future, starting in 2022-23. 

Agreed I overreacted.  Petey is coming back into form and so he can stay.

• Patel Bure changed the title to [proposal] Pettersson for PLD / Boeser+ for Laine
On 11/9/2021 at 10:40 PM, Patel Bure said:

Agreed I overreacted.  Petey is coming back into form and so he can stay.

And like Mr Burns from the Simpsons, I’ve had another unpredictable change of heart and want to revisit this proposal as a result.  This time, adding in Boeser+ (Rathbone?) for Laine.

Miller-PLD-Laine

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Podkolzin-Dickinson-Garland

Dowling-Lammiko-Bailey

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Poolman

Burroughs-Hamonic

Demko

Halak