The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Blight for Wright - Canucks already at less than 10% chance to make the playoffs

Rate this topic

Provost

53 minutes ago, aGENT said:

To be fair, Button is also the guy who said Green wasn't the problem :P

And again, nobody is suggesting moving Miller NOW. Or even at the TDL if we're in my a playoff position.

No Button said that Green was coaching them to cover up defensive shortcomings and he consistently said they should play to their strengths- offense, not play to cover defense.

Second, posters I referred to have suggested moving Miller now to sell high. Maybe you didn't say sell now, but I wasn't referring to you.  

3 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

No Button said that Green was coaching them to cover up defensive shortcomings and he consistently said they should play to their strengths- offense, not play to cover defense.

Second, posters I referred to have suggested moving Miller now to sell high. Maybe you didn't say sell now, but I wasn't referring to you.  

I believe the 'now' others are referring to is this TDL. Most (though likely not all) under the assumption we're out of the playoffs. It's only a little over a month away.

Edited by aGENT

Just now, aGENT said:

I believe the 'now' others are referring to is this TDL. Most (though likely not all) under the assumption we're out of the playoffs. It's only a little over a month away.

Yes agreed the now is this TDL - as very few significant trades will occur until then.  However the point remains that Donnie Dhali and Button all feel that trading Miller now (up until trade deadline) is a non starter for all the reasons they quoted. 

17 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Just did some light reading and man this thread is funny. Reading the first few pages until now haha. Truth is odds are just that. What matters is where the standing lie at the end of the season.

Be even more interesting to see this thread evolve as we go on from here. Looking forward to hopefully winning more games and passing the deadline. Really curious to see a JB built team to the end of the year. Keep winning and I doubt we really see any major trades until the summer. Cap is tight so you’d have to move a bigger piece that may only disrupt things short term. I don’t quite understand thinking about who’s getting moved, this and that until we get late into February but guess we all love to speculate haha.

This road trip will determine a lot imo 

It will, starting next week, the five games after Ottawa look like a murderer's row.

3 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Craig Button was on Donnie and Dhali today.  They talked about people posting the idea of trading Miller.  They absolutely ripped it apart going so far as to call the suggestion stupid. Key thoughts, there is no one to replace him coming up, he's the best player, the impact on Horvat and others would be fierce, trading him for picks is dumb as it means waiting 3 years, etc etc.

Sorry to people like Provost and Coconuts but they shredded your arguments as wrong headed and pointless to speculate about. Their words not mine.  I thought it was useful to post though, because I am probably in the silent majority who agree that trading Miller is a non starter. The only reason to trade Miller would be closer to the end of his contract - and only if he told the team he wanted to move on as a UFA.  Then you have to get something for him.

Otherwise I agree with Donnie and Dhali and Button that the idea doesn't make sense.

I don't care what Button thinks about Miller, not gonna lie. No need to apologize. None of what these talking heads really think matters all that much at the end of the day, the only opinions that really matter belong to Canucks management and to any rival GM who comes sniffing around. 

I'll continue arguing for it, and if I piss people off than so be it, I don't care. Those who want to keep Miller are likely a majority, but that doesn't necessarily make those who see moving him as the right move going forward wrong. Only time will tell. 

Edited by Coconuts

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It will, starting next week, the five games after Ottawa look like a murderer's row.

I don't care what Button thinks about Miller, not gonna lie. No need to apologize. None of what these talking heads really think matters all that much at the end of the day, the only opinions that really matter belong to Canucks management and to any rival GM who comes sniffing around. 

I'll continue arguing for it, any if I piss people off than so be it, I don't care. Those who want to keep Miller are likely a majority, but than doesn't necessarily make those who see moving him as the right move going forward wrong. Only time will tell. 

Correct it doesn't mean you are wrong.  It just means you are likely wrong.

20 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Yes agreed the now is this TDL - as very few significant trades will occur until then.  However the point remains that Donnie Dhali and Button all feel that trading Miller now (up until trade deadline) is a non starter for all the reasons they quoted. 

I think very few people would disagree with that. There's very little reason to trade him "tomorrow" (short of injury risk perhaps). A few weeks-month'ish from now though...

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Correct it doesn't mean you are wrong.  It just means you are likely wrong.

Wouldn't be the first time, you could very well be wrong as well. We'll see if the Canucks can keep this up, five of their next six games are against the Panthers, Lightning, Hurricanes, Capitals, and Predators. The next eleven are the Senators, Panthers, Lightning, Hurricanes, Capitals, Predators, Panthers, Blues, Oilers, Jets, and Flames. Canucks used up most of their easier stretches under Green.

This has been a neat run, but we have one of the tougher second halfs in the league. We could very well come back with 1-3 points from this next road trip, we're unlikely to continue winning at the clip we have. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think very few people would disagree with that. There's very little reason to trade him "tomorrow" (short of injury risk perhaps). A few weeks-month'ish from now though...

I've honestly yet to see anyone advocate for trading him immediately, dunno why people keep going on about that. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

54 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Wouldn't be the first time, you could very well be wrong as well. We'll see if the Canucks can keep this up, five of their next six games are against the Panthers, Lightning, Hurricanes, Capitals, and Predators. The next eleven are the Senators, Panthers, Lightning, Hurricanes, Capitals, Predators, Panthers, Blues, Oilers, Jets, and Flames. Canucks used up most of their easier stretches under Green.

This has been a neat run, but we have one of the tougher second halfs in the league. We could very well come back with 1-3 points from this next road trip, we're unlikely to continue winning at the clip we have. 

This is like saying cats have 4 legs. My dog has 4 legs. Therefore my dog is a cat.

Yes the Canucks may have an end to their streak.  Yes there may be work to do.

But the answer is probably not trading Miller.

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If they can go .500 on that road trip I'd be impressed, and also surprised 

I would be happy with that

I remember before the coaching change that we were the 2nd best 5v5 team (not now, winning though)

Apparently, players didn't know where the opponents net was with so many shots wide

Now BB says don't get cute, just shoot (which is what we all wanted)

What killed us was then was 2 pp goals against on average each game (seemed like every time opponents would score) and we couldn't

We have won some games we should have lost

We are not elite like our record with BB suggests and why a .500 would be welcomed by me 

2 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I would be happy with that

I remember before the coaching change that we were the 2nd best 5v5 team (not now, winning though)

Apparently, players didn't know where the opponents net was with so many shots wide

Now BB says don't get cute, just shoot (which is what we all wanted)

What killed us was then was 2 pp goals against on average each game (seemed like every time opponents would score) and we couldn't

We have won some games we should have lost

We are not elite like our record with BB suggests and why a .500 would be welcomed by me 

.500 would be a win, the only two games that might be considered easier over our next eleven are against Ottawa and Edmonton 

If they lose most of those games it could very well be the season 

22 hours ago, Coconuts said:

.500 would be a win, the only two games that might be considered easier over our next eleven are against Ottawa and Edmonton 

If they lose most of those games it could very well be the season 

Partner give it a rest.  You are all over these pages saying how we should trade Miller (non starter) and we aren't a contender and so we need to make major changes.

Why do you cheerlead for the Canucks to be lousy?

Man I am getting sick and tired of reading your stuff. 

Seriously.  Stop it.  

How about this.  How about say nothing for two weeks and see how they do instead of cheerleading for them to do poorly?

And don't deny that is exactly what you are doing at this point. Take a rest and see what they do instead of cheerleading for them to crash.

Yeesh.

• Haha 2
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

Partner give it a rest.  You are all over these pages saying how we should trade Miller (non starter) and we aren't a contender and so we need to make major changes.

Why do you cheerlead for the Canucks to be lousy?

Seriously.  Stop it.  

How about this.  How about say nothing for two weeks and see how they do instead of cheerleading for them to do poorly?

And don't deny that is exactly what you are doing at this point. Take a rest and see what they do instead of cheerleading for them to crash.

Yeesh.

If you don't like me, block me, you don't dictate how I post. 

We're just under .500, not even quite in the mix yet. A slide could be devastating, I didn't say anything wrong. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

Maybe you should take a break from this place, it seems to be getting to you.

I'm fine with trading any player at any time, provided the return will improve the team.

Miller would be a huge trade chip, a lot of value there.

If Brock had had a better year, his name would also be discussed as trade bait.

You have to give to get, unless you are trading with Mike Milbury.

• Cheers 2