The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blues trade Kyle Clifford to Maple Leafs for future considerations

Just now, JayDangles said:

So even the leafs, with Dubas at the helm understand the importance of sprinkling in some grit so your main guys feel more protected.

We are officially lost

It took Dubas long enough to do that though. When he traded away Kadri, the Laffs had no grit whatsoever.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Why didn't Toronto just claim the first time around? I guess now he can be assigned to AHL, but still..

A trade for the sake of making a trade, practically.

not quite. With all the salary cap woes the leafs are/will be experiencing, Clifford already having cleared waivers is worth whatever futures are thrown the other way, as he will undoubtedly be sent down at some point

• Thanks 1

not quite. With all the salary cap woes the leafs are/will be experiencing, Clifford already having cleared waivers is worth whatever futures are thrown the other way, as he will undoubtedly be sent down at some point

Good trade for both teams then.

3 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

So even the leafs, with Dubas at the helm understand the importance of sprinkling in some grit so your main guys feel more protected.

We are officially lost

We were lost when management extended Green.

I was flabbergasted that they retained a coach who has such a similar winning record as Willie freaking Desjardins. At the very least he had a stellar first season before going downwards. Green has been mediocre from start to finish, and Benning or whoever decides he was worth a two year contract.

Benning really did himself a disservice after all the work he did this offseason to fix the team. He might never get another chance.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

It took Dubas long enough to do that though. When he traded away Kadri, the Laffs had no grit whatsoever.

Actually, if memory serves. Right after they dumped Kadri they picked up Clifford. I'm not complementing Dubas, but he has never iced a team without 1 or 2 big tough guys. (Muzzin, then Clifford, the Simmonds)

Edited by JayDangles

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

At the time Kadri was traded, Simmonds and Muzzin weren't on the team.

I'm reaching far back into my memory, which doesnt hold a lot of leafs info intentionally. I think they grabbed Muzzin right after letting Kadri go, then Clifford the year after.

Also kind of a moot point, because Kadri was never a big guy or a defender of teammates. He was and always will be a cheap shot artist 

I'm reaching far back into my memory, which doesnt hold a lot of leafs info intentionally.

:lol:

I think they grabbed Muzzin right after letting Kadri go, then Clifford the year after.

Probably. Muzzin was a smart move, he's been a consistent and solid defenseman for them. 

Also kind of a moot point, because Kadri was never a big guy or a defender of teammates. He was and always will be a cheap shot artist 

Exactly. Players only kept their heads up when Kadri was on the ice because of his penchant for head shots and dirty play.

7 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Actually, if memory serves. Right after they dumped Kadri they picked up Clifford. I'm not complementing Dubas, but he has never iced a team without 1 or 2 big tough guys. (Muzzin, then Clifford, the Simmonds)

I guess maybe your definition of tough guys might be different what I'm thinking too mind you.

I just remember there was a point in time where toughness was questionable for the Leafs.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

:lol:

Probably. Muzzin was a smart move, he's been a consistent and solid defenseman for them. 

Exactly. Players only kept their heads up when Kadri was on the ice because of his penchant for head shots and dirty play.

Is it bad that I'm so bored and unentertained by this team that I actually wish we had a Kadri or Marchand? Just someone who goes out there, acts a fool, gets suspended but at least we cheer and debate B.S. suspensions on CDC?

• Vintage 1

Wow.. what a blow.... Apparently, the Leafs felt too ashamed to just pick him up for free so they offered "future considerations" but Jimbo didn't wanna offer either... he basically wants a free player handed to him with salary retained! that's what it is.... now I get it!!

4 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Is it bad that I'm so bored and unentertained by this team that I actually wish we had a Kadri or Marchand? Just someone who goes out there, acts a fool, gets suspended but at least we cheer and debate B.S. suspensions on CDC?

It would be nice to have one player like that who's a total pain in the ass. Garland is great, but I think he values a cleaner game than Marchand or Kadri. 

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It would be nice to have one player like that who's a total pain in the ass. Garland is great, but I think he values a cleaner game than Marchand or Kadri. 

Also, is that even Garland. I mean he does 1 good hit in game 2 of the season and everyone gets all excited.. like he is some mini mack truck.. then nothing since. 

Green probably straightened him out after that.

• Haha 1