The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup.

Like I've said all along. Happy to retain him at something like $8x6 but I just don't see why he, or his agent agree to take a $10-$15m discount "because".  They're going to be looking at comparables who are getting +/-$65m contracts. If we're only offering ~$50m....

I just don't see it in the cards. And I don't see management budging much on that given the circumstances around the team. 

It's actually astonishing to me how many people don't seem to see what appears to be pretty obvious data.

I don’t disagree that Miller will be looking for a 65m contract. But I think he will struggle to find a team willing to give him one. He may find that 8.5x6 is the best offer he’s gonna get. Factor in the fit he has with this up and coming team and he may resign.

35 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Nonsense. Miller can't be both as "irreplaceable" to us as you want to claim, and simultaneously no team willing to pay him his open market value. You can't have it both ways. 

Teams make cap space for good players every year. A team whose window is closing, and/or looking to win now, would happily pay him open market values in a year. Damn the long term consequences. That's not their concern.

Again, if Miller is willing to sign for terms that make sense for us, given where we are in our cycle, our roster issues, etc, etc... Great! He's a good player, I'm happy to have him!

If he's not willing to take that $10-$15m discount however, we're better off gaining the assets, cap space and flexibility.

There's really very little grey area here. Just like the Motte situation. I'd happily have retained him as well if he was willing to extend for +/- $1.5m. He wasn't, so he's not here anymore and we have a 4th and Lockwood instead. Period.

Miller is the exact same situation, if at a bigger scale.

Folks go on about how he's a top player, how he's irreplaceable, how he's so valuable and then go on about how he'll be affordable for us yet somehow teams wouldn't make space for him. It's hilarious.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I don’t disagree that Miller will be looking for a 65m contract. But I think he will struggle to find a team willing to give him one. He may find that 8.5x6 is the best offer he’s gonna get. Factor in the fit he has with this up and coming team and he may resign.

I don't think he'd struggle at all. We see it literally every year.

Would you have thought that the Sharks would extend Hertl at the deal he got? 

Sign Karlsson?

Did Vegas give up assets to bring in Eichel?

Did Toronto pay Tavares $11m?

Etc, etc...

Edited by aGENT

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Folks go on about how he's a top player, how he's irreplaceable, how he's so valuable and then go on about how he'll be affordable for us yet somehow teams wouldn't make space for him. It's hilarious.

its not really that, if Miller was a UFA a lot of teams would make space for him. Its just its a small number of teams that would make the cap space AND trade us a kings ransom for him. Maybe no one. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

its not really that, if Miller was a UFA a lot of teams would make space for him. Its just its a small number of teams that would make the cap space AND trade us a kings ransom for him. Maybe no one. 

Maybe, maybe not, if a team like Colorado misses out they'll have Kadri walking, they can't afford to pay him what he'll want

That's just one example, you could argue that there aren't many teams who'd make space, I could argue it's rare for a player of his caliber to become available and that there'd absolutely be interest

Round and round we go :lol:

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Like I just don't get it. How is this remotely so confusing?! :lol: Either he is, or he isn't. And if he is, what makes sense to THIS team, given where it is.

I can see our roster construction issues, succession issues, cap issues, age of our core, etc, etc... And it just seems obvious. There's a term and dollar amount that makes sense to keep Miller and there's one that makes sense to move him.

It's really almost all black and white with very little grey.

Yet here we are....:lol:

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Me_ said:

Boeser for a RHD is good enough. Garland is money very well spent.

Boeser & Pearson out.

$9,125,000 in Cap space.

My concern with Garland is he has to play a risky game to be productive because he's so small. I'd like to move on personally. 

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't think he'd struggle at all. We see it literally every year.

Would you have thought that the Sharks would extend Hertl at the deal he got? 

Sign Karlsson?

Did Vegas give up assets to bring in Eichel?

Did Toronto pay Tavares $11m?

Etc, etc...

All players that were younger than Miller will be when he is UFA.

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Miller gets the biggest return of assets and saves the most cap. It's a sensible solution that addresses our plethora of problems better than the other options available.

I just have to respectfully disagree. Look at how important C depth is now that Bo is out. 

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Like I just don't get it. How is this remotely so confusing?! :lol: Either he is, or he isn't. And if he is, what makes sense to THIS team, given where it is.

I can see our roster construction issues, succession issues, cap issues, age of our core, etc, etc... And it just seems obvious. There's a term and dollar amount that makes sense to keep Miller and there's one that makes sense to move him.

He can't simultaneously be everything some folks say he is and not worth trading for or making space for for another NHL team :lol:

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

its complicated by two factors, its not just about cap space, or just about moving assets. Its both. Sure if you want to fire sale Miller there's lots of takers. If you want an actual high quality return, that is a much smaller number of teams in play. 

3 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

All players that were younger than Miller will be when he is UFA.

Fine, Pietrangelo.. like this isn't an uncommon thing. Good players get big deals, all the time. Teams make space. Someone WILL pay him if he's half as good as people around here want to declare he is.

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

its complicated by two factors, its not just about cap space, or just about moving assets. Its both. Sure if you want to fire sale Miller there's lots of takers. If you want an actual high quality return, that is a much smaller number of teams in play. 

There will easily be 5-10+ teams interested in him this summer.

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No, I'm not buying your baseless owner-interference narrative you keep trying to peddle.

The owner wants a good team and to hopefully win a cup. If that's Miller on a team friendly contract, great. If it's Miller traded for assets, cap space, and youth, great.

Friedman did report the change in direction concerning Miller a couple weeks before the TDL.  Said the Canucks were intent on re-signing Miller as a number one centre.  

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

A Pearson trade isn’t clearing cap.  He doesn’t hav3 that kind of value.  It would be a hockey trade, with equal cap coming back.

Boeser we can let walk, so that does clear cap.

If management got a 4th for a walking-Motte, they’re sure as hell won’t let Boeser walk for nothing.

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

If management got a 4th for a walking-Motte, they’re sure as hell won’t let Boeser walk for nothing.

Did Motte have a crazy QO?  Any team trading for Bess needs to qualify him or sign him to term.  Same boat we are in.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Did Motte have a crazy QO?  Any team trading for Bess needs to qualify him or sign him to term.  Same boat we are in.  

Boeser won't get that QO number, not on a long term deal. Any team that trades for him can likely work out something more reasonable for him. I don't think we'll even go for his QO, we'll elect team arbitration first a day after the cup is awarded (assuming we don't re-sign him).

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

Boeser won't get that QO number, not on a long term deal. Any team that trades for him can likely work out something more reasonable for him. I don't think we'll even go for his QO, we'll elect team arbitration first a day after the cup is awarded (assuming we don't re-sign him).

So where’s Boeser’s trade value if any team trading for him has go through what we do to keep him?  I see it as the value of a coming UFA and a team getting the negotiating rights.  Late round pick.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

So where’s Boeser’s trade value if any team trading for him has go through what we do to keep him?  I see it as the value of a coming UFA and a team getting the negotiating rights.  Late round pick.  

I think the value might come from their being some competition for him, I do think there will be interest, he's a good player and human. So I can see his agent being allowed to go out and negotiate something ahead of a trade. Could be happening already.