The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's great, but what else is he going to do in a Canadian market? Come out and say "Well, I'm not sure whether I want to be here long term yet"? Or "I don't see myself extending long term"? Or better yet, ignoring it all and saying nothing? Because you can guess how that'd be interpreted. 

Hockey players give pretty stock answers most of the time. His family loving it here, and his having not asked for a trade, doesn't really mean much. I'm sure his family probably loved it in Tampa too. And not asking for a trade doesn't equate to being dead set on re-signing. Does it mean he's interested in staying? Possibly. Is it a strong argument for him wanting to stay? Not really. 

Oh please, he could say a lot of other things.  The stock answer is usually something like, "I enjoy playing here and the guys are great.  I just concentrate on being the best player I can be on the ice, and let my agent and the business people handle the business side of things."

Don't tell me you haven't heard something along those lines before when a player isn't happy.  

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Oh please, he could say a lot of other things.  The stock answer is usually something like, "I enjoy playing here and the guys are great.  I just concentrate on being the best player I can be on the ice, and let my agent and the business people handle the business side of things."

Don't tell me you haven't heard something along those lines before when a player isn't happy.  

Dunno, stock answers are generally pretty positive and don't say a whole lot. What he said seems pretty on the mark. 

Loving a city and wanting to stay somewhere are very different things. I'm sure he loved New York and Tampa too, he's been pretty fortunate in that he's had nothing but great stops during his career. 

Who was the last player to be neutral in the press while being a Canuck? Even Kesler gave lip service while having his agent call Benning daily. 

Edited by Coconuts

Also I don’t think people are saying he doesn’t want to be here or not liking Vancouver.

There’s a difference between wanting to stay in Vancouver for $ and moving to be paid $$.

Edited by BPA

3 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

getting rid of Hamonic, pool man, Dickinson, Pearson would actually give us a fair amount of flexibility, lol look at pat marroon, just signed for 1m aav and he is better than all the players I just listed

With a contender he just won back to back cups with, in a tax friendly state 

Edited by Coconuts

12 minutes ago, BPA said:

Also I don’t think people are saying he doesn’t want to be here or not liking Vancouver.

There’s a difference between wanting to stay in Vancouver for $ and moving to be paid $$.

Unfortunately, some people are saying that he doesn't want to be here anymore. 

Given what he has come out and said, as well as what his agent has also said, I think it's safe to assume he WANTS to be here.  He WANTS to win with Vancouver.  Now it's just a matter of whether or not what the Canucks could offer him on a deal is something he could live with. 

Like I said before, I think there's a real possibility that he is re-signed, and we see some other player(s) get moved. 

Edited by HKSR
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Apparently he's scraping the bottom of the agent barrel and found one who only uses the current team as comparables

And really Demko is the best so we're pretty sure he should sign for under $5m per season. Why wouldn't we keep him at that price?

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Given what he has come out and said, as well as what his agent has also said, I think it's safe to assume he WANTS to be here.  He WANTS to win with Vancouver.  Now it's just a matter of whether or not what the Canucks could offer him on a deal is something he could live with. 

Like I said before, I think there's a real possibility that he is re-signed, and we see some other player(s) get moved. 

Why is it safe to assume that?

2 hours ago, HOFsedins said:

It will be almost impossible for Miller to walk. We have until next trade deadline to move him if he doesn't resign.

And you know for sure (with our luck) he gets hurt or has a crap year and we get a b prospect and a second. That's why it's so enticing. We could actually get a primo return for once to build up the clubs assets.

Just now, stawns said:

Because of what HE (J.T. Miller) has said.  He loves it here, and his family loves it here.  His agent also had to drill it into people's heads that he hasn't discussed anything about wanting to be anywhere else with him either.  Why is it so hard for people to just accept the fact that maybe... just MAYBE.. Miller wants to stay? 

Why is it that everything he has said, and his agent has said needs to be twisted and construed to the point that you need to make it out that he wants to leave? 

Good grief. 

Just now, HKSR said:

Because of what HE (J.T. Miller) has said.  He loves it here, and his family loves it here.  His agent also had to drill it into people's heads that he hasn't discussed anything about wanting to be anywhere else with him either.  Why is it so hard for people to just accept the fact that maybe... just MAYBE.. Miller wants to stay? 

Why is it that everything he has said, and his agent has said needs to be twisted and construed to the point that you need to make it out that he wants to leave? 

Good grief. 

That was from the summer, what do you expect him to say when asked about demanding a trade.  And no one is saying he's asking to be moved, just that it's unlikely he's going to re-sign here when he's in full control of where he gets to finish his career. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Dunno, stock answers are generally pretty positive and don't say a whole lot. What he said seems pretty on the mark. 

Loving a city and wanting to stay somewhere are very different things. I'm sure he loved New York and Tampa too, he's been pretty fortunate in that he's had nothing but great stops during his career. 

Who was the last player to be neutral in the press while being a Canuck? Even Kesler gave lip service while having his agent call Benning daily. 

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Here's what Luongo had to say when he wanted out:

https://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/nhl/roberto-luongo-on-leaving-canucks-its-time-to-move-on

1 minute ago, stawns said:

That was from the summer, what do you expect him to say when asked about demanding a trade.  And no one is saying he's asking to be moved, just that it's unlikely he's going to re-sign here when he's in full control of where he gets to finish his career. 

See post above on what a player can say when they want out (Luongo).

EDIT:  Wait what?  Jan 10, 2022 is now the summer? 

Edited by HKSR

Just now, stawns said:

Who is saying he's asking to get out?  I'm not sure where you're getting that narrative from

If he doesn't want out, then he wants to stay.  I'm not sure how else to interpret it when he says that he and his family love it here.  What else are you trying to get at then?

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

And this...

https://theprovince.com/sports/canucks-j-t-miller-loves-vancouver-never-asked-for-trade-says-agent

“J.T. has loved Vancouver and we’ve never discussed him wanting out. It seems like someone just made up a meme with a totally fake quote then J.T. was able to quickly set the record straight. No fire at all for fake smoke!”

I must have missed the part where he said he wanted to stay here. What else is he going say?  At the very least could have said, "I want to play here for many years and win the Cup here". 

Not even the standard bs players say to placate the fans. This answer wasn't about re-signing here at all.

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I must have missed the part where he said he wanted to stay here. What else is he going say?  At the very least could have said, "I want to play here for many years and win the Cup here". 

Not even the standard bs players say to placate the fans. This answer wasn't about re-signing here at all.

44 minutes ago, HKSR said:

In contrast, here's what Luongo said back when he didn't want to stay:  https://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/nhl/roberto-luongo-on-leaving-canucks-its-time-to-move-on

And here's Kesler and him wanting a "fresh start":  https://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/2014/06/07/ryan-kesler-wants-out-of-vancouver-report

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/j-t-miller-will-not-ask-trade-no-intention-leaving-canucks/

"I reached out to the source today and here's J.T. Miller's exact comment: 'No, he does not want to be traded. He does not want to leave. He wants to be a Vancouver Canuck. He has no intentions of leaving. We have a good team here and he wants to be a part of it," said Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman during the Headlines segment on Hockey Night in Canada.

Lemme guess, you'll probably say this was in May 2021, so it doesn't count :P

So stating the above, then reaffirming that he AND his family loves it here just a month ago, and his agent coming out and saying the same thing leads you and others to believe he wants out... ok then.

Edited by HKSR

25 minutes ago, HKSR said:

But he had every chance in the world to simply say that if he felt that way ... and didn't.

Really non-committal in any sense. That's a very good stock reply that doesn't divulge anything.