The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

6 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Well, culture differences can be troubling. 

I hope you understand why I'm not bewildered... 

I do, but I also think you’re generalizing a whollllllllllle lot of people and a culture then applying that very presumption back at the North American hockey market and especially Vancouver in general.

it’s just a very odd tact and highly speculative. Doesn’t make for any debate, more just a personal statement. 

I can be sensitive to it.

Especially with how you’ve personally seen the culture shift in Sweden.

I just don’t see how it’s transposed onto a hockey club who some of its greatest, most adored players/heroes are Swedish.

If you think there’s a problem within the club, then I guess you should also blame the Sedins as well for that, seeing as they have been catalysts for this franchise ever since being drafted 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Well, culture differences can be troubling. 

I hope you understand why I'm not bewildered...  I just understand. B)

you think our club is racist against Swedish people and players?  I think back in the 80 and somewhat into the 90s there was a believe Swedish players were softies.  But that was thought about French Canadian players in the 40 and into the 50 at one time too.  It's not a racist thing. It's just a stupid thing.  

Heck are their better player ever than Foresberg and Lidstrom?  

For us, our best ever players were Swedes.  Twins, Ohlund, and now Petey.  Not really seeing the hate the Swedish player thing here.  

Don't you think the vast majority of Canucks fans don't care where a player is from; they just want the best?  

55 minutes ago, Alflives said:

signing Miller to 8 years is the discount. It's a lower cap hit for the club so we can build better depth.  He gets 8 with us.  Sure on the open market he gets 9, but that's only for seven years.  So he actually earns more with us over the contract's term.  The extra year is what he's giving us for the extra million.  He could sign seven elsewhere and then a one year deal and make more.  So he's helping us and still getting paid.  Win win.

38 years old? 

9 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I do, but I also think you’re generalizing a whollllllllllle lot of people and a culture then applying that very presumption back at the North American hockey market and especially Vancouver in general.

it’s just a very odd tact and highly speculative. Doesn’t make for any debate, more just a personal statement. 

I can be sensitive to it.

Especially with how you’ve personally seen the culture shift in Sweden.

I just don’t see how it’s transposed onto a hockey club who some of its greatest, most adored players/heroes are Swedish.

If you think there’s a problem within the club, then I guess you should also blame the Sedins as well for that, seeing as they have been catalysts for this franchise ever since being drafted 

Try to understand i stead. Your comments about tge Sedins show you don't. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

you think our club is racist against Swedish people and players?  I think back in the 80 and somewhat into the 90s there was a believe Swedish players were softies.  But that was thought about French Canadian players in the 40 and into the 50 at one time too.  It's not a racist thing. It's just a stupid thing.  

Heck are their better player ever than Foresberg and Lidstrom?  

For us, our best ever players were Swedes.  Twins, Ohlund, and now Petey.  Not really seeing the hate the Swedish player thing here.  

Don't you think the vast majority of Canucks fans don't care where a player is from; they just want the best?  

What? Are some sort of PC all of a sudden? 

Racism has nothing to do with egostic people trying to harm the Team for themselves. 

Edited by Timråfan
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

38 years old? 

Yup.  The first four years will be super Miller and we could be Cup winners in there.  Then the next four years, as he declines, the cap will go up, so his total % of the cap goes down and his contract doesn't look so bad.  He can settle in to the third line centre role just fine.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

What? Are some sort of PC all of a sudden? 

Racism has nothing to do with egostic people trying to harm the Team for themselves. 

What's PC?  Progressive Conservative?  Not really too sure where this whole topic is heading.

There is no bad stuff against Swedes here.  Our GM is a Swede.  Our best ever players are Swedes.  So I'm lost. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  The first four years will be super Miller and we could be Cup winners in there.  Then the next four years, as he declines, the cap will go up, so his total % of the cap goes down and his contract doesn't look so bad.  He can settle in to the third line centre role just fine.  

I did some math on it and $9m in 2030-31 is equivalent to 6.75m in today's cap limits.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What's PC?  Progressive Conservative?  Not really too sure where this whole topic is heading.

There is no bad stuff against Swedes here.  Our GM is a Swede.  Our best ever players are Swedes.  So I'm lost. 

I had to google and Politically Correct should be PC.

It's an insane use of the word racism and what I would call PC. 

Edited by Timråfan
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not with that foot speed, but hey, I was wrong once.

Just now, HKSR said:

Flat ($1m per year) until 2025-26, then a 4% increase per year.  I based the 4% off historical growth from 2013-14 to current.

It's super hard.

I won't agree or disagree but COVID etc derails it.

In other words the unknown variable is so tough.

I like you excel files though!

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Guys who don't rely on their foot speed like Miller age bette than those who do.  Miller will age like a Sedin or Kopitar or Bergeron.  Those guys never relied on their skating.  They used their brains.  Miller will still be a very good player at 35 and a good contributor on our third line at 38.  No worries.  Sign him 8x8.  

So I'm just arguing for argument sake.

If he signs elsewhere he gets what? 7 X $9.5 ? 6 X $10?

Roughly $60M vs $64M?

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

It's super hard.

I won't agree or disagree but COVID etc derails it.

In other words the unknown variable is so tough.

I like you excel files though!

Yeah I had to assume escrow would be taken care of by 2024-25, so in 2025-26 we would see the 1st year of 4% increase.

Anyways, it came out to about $108 to $110m by 2030-31.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

Miller has taken advantage of Peteys injuries and also taken advantage of Hughes in a way Petay hasn't been able to since Miller stands in the way.

Let Petey get the role Miller plays and Petey will crush Millers numbers. So damn good is Petey soon. 

Petey is slowly crawling back into 1st position.

You will probably see the transition next season if Petey doens't get any strange injuries before. 

Stick with this Timra ..  remember, practice, practice, practice..

Hit Sony GIF by Peter Rabbit Movie