Fla

Lundell

Kierstad

1st round pick

Nash

tomasino

Afanasyev

1st round pick

I think the planets align in 2 weeks ,.  The 666th verse in the book of “Satanic Verses” might help with you and @aGENT’s thoughts ;) 

Florida isn’t going to tweak, but they might twerk at you !

Edited by SilentSam

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Cash in Miller for what though..  ?

Thats where this turns to fantasy,. Keeping Miller is not Fantasy.

Talk of getting picks and prospects or unknown stereotypes without names ,. That’s thin air.

The minimum would be something like the much bandied about Chytil, Schneider and a 1st. Maybe even get a Barron tacked on there. Price goes up from there if we add any other pieces, retain salary etc.

7 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

"Assets" aren't proven.  Name names.

JT is.

I think the name of the game is to KEEP players who are that valuable.  I don't know, seems that's the goal?  

Rather than feeling we have to continue chasing the "perfect" team...we have one that, if Petey and Brock get rolling, can look pretty damn good.

Here's something I posted in another thread:

Focus on the more affordable, shorter term requiring, holes via UFA. We don't need to go big game hunting.

3C (Paul/Tierney/Sturm), maybe a backup  (if we don't use one of Martin, MDP etc) and if we manage to move Hamonic, a guy like Lyubushkin. Maybe a hard minute, PK'ing 3LD as well. Bonus if you can nab a guy like Bjustad for 4C (otherwise I'm happy to explore our internal options there as well - Lammiko, Focht, Jasek etc)

None of those should break the bank in cap or require more than 2-4 years of term.

Something like (wingers fluid):

Chytil, Horvat, Boeser

Podkolzin, Petterson, Garland

Pearson, Paul/Tierney/Sturm, Hoglander

Dickinson, Lammiko, Highmore

Jasek/Focht etc as spares

OEL, Myers

Hughes, Hamonic/Lyubushkin

UFA?, Schneider/Poolman

With Burroughs, Schenn, Rathbone, Woo, Juulsen  etc depth

There's zero reason something like that team couldn't be near as/just as competitive as soon as next year. Those pieces 4-5 years from now when Miller is likely a declining $8m+ player...? 

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

The what if-ing is getting woozy.

Why are you here then? More woozy than what-if'ing he'd re-up here at a discount and miraculously not decline in his mid 30's?

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

The minimum would be something like the much bandied about Chytil, Schneider and a 1st. Maybe even get a Barron tacked on there. Price goes up from there if we add any other pieces, retain salary etc.

Here's something I posted in another thread:

Focus on the more affordable, shorter term requiring, holes via UFA. We don't need to go big game hunting.

3C (Paul/Tierney/Sturm), maybe a backup  (if we don't use one of Martin, MDP etc) and if we manage to move Hamonic, a guy like Lyubushkin. Maybe a hard minute, PK'ing 3LD as well. Bonus if you can nab a guy like Bjustad for 4C (otherwise I'm happy to explore our internal options there as well - Lammiko, Focht, Jasek etc)

None of those should break the bank in cap or require more than 2-4 years of term.

Something like (wingers fluid):

Chytil, Horvat, Boeser

Podkolzin, Petterson, Garland

Pearson, Paul/Tierney/Sturm, Hoglander

Dickinson, Lammiko, Highmore

Jasek/Focht etc as spares

OEL, Myers

Hughes, Hamonic/Lyubushkin

UFA?, Schneider/Poolman

With Burroughs, Schenn, Rathbone, Woo, Juulsen  etc depth

There's zero reason something like that team couldn't be near as/just as competitive as soon as next year. Those pieces 4-5 years from now when Miller is likely a declining $8m+ player...? 

Why are you here then? More woozy than what-if'ing he'd re-up here at a discount and miraculously not decline in his mid 30's?

Is every team afraid of crossing the 30’s barrier ?

are we one of those now?

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think the planets align in 2 weeks ,.  The 666th verse in the book of “Satanic Verses” might help with you and @aGENT’s thoughts ;) 

Florida isn’t going to tweak, but they might twerk at you !

why wouldn't they?  That's a small price to pay for a chance at two Cups

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's not about being afraid of players in their 30's, it's about being smart about them.

Isn’t that how Pittsburgh did it ,.  JR there.

i would hedge to say he sees what Miller brings over Boeser, or Horvat, or presently EP.

• Vintage 1

Just now, SilentSam said:

i would hedge to say he sees what Miller brings over Boeser, or Horvat, or presently EP.

so when he says that he wants to make trades to get younger, he was, what, just having fun with reporters?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Did what? Be smart about players in their 30's?

PIT and Van were/are in two very different positions. Rutherford has said so himself.

He has also clearly stated he would like to get younger, faster and build towards a consistently contending team in a couple years. Read the tea leaves.

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

Fla

Lundell

Kierstad

1st round pick

Nash

tomasino

Afanasyev

1st round pick

Id do Boeser to Florida for that.

But why would the best team in the league tweak a good thing at this time of year..

those players are their future,.  And worthy to experience playoff contention this year.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Did what? Be smart about players in their 30's?

PIT and Van were/are in two very different positions. Rutherford has said so himself.

He has also clearly stated he would like to get younger, faster and build towards a consistently contending team in a couple years. Read the tea leaves.

Ahhhh,  that’s your thing,   Tea Leaves ;)

Just now, SilentSam said:

Id do Boeser to Florida for that.

But why would the best team in the league tweak a good thing at this time of year..

those players are their future,.  And worthy to experience playoff contention this year.

you don't tbink adding Miller makes them, by far, the best team in the league?  The question is, why wouldn't they?

Boeser, at this point, might.........might get you a #4-5 dman

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

you don't tbink adding Miller makes them, by far, the best team in the league?  The question is, why wouldn't they?

Boeser, at this point, might.........might get you a #4-5 dman

Your hate for Boeser is ridiculous. Get over it Stawns. He'll get much more than a 4th or 5 the d man. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Moves I'd like to see

Miller to the Rags for Schneider, Chytll, 1st rounder in 2022

Boeser to the Preds for Myers and a 2nd in 2022

Schenn to Car for Suzuki

Hamonic for a 3rd in 2022

for the rest of the year

Pearson Bo Garland

Hogz Petey Podz

Dickinson Chytll Motte

Chiasson Lammiko Highmore

Hughes Poolman

OEL Myers

Burroughs Myers

Demko

Halak

they add depth a C and D, which is where they need it and they get picks as well.  They then have cap flexibility for ufas to fill spots in the summer.  It'd be a tough end to the year, no doubt, but they get much younger and much deeper and you have Schneider ready for full time duty in 2022-23

Edited by stawns

3 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Your hate for Boeser is ridiculous. Get over it Stawns. He'll get much more than a 4th or 5 the d man. 

two years ago, when he should have been dealt, absolutely.  Now, with a $7.5m QO looming, not likely.

4 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

I've never once said I hate Boeser.  I said I don't think he's worth what he gets paid and that he'd be a prime candidate to use to fill an area of need.  Isn't that what GM's are supposed to do?

28 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Miller too.  Petey at times.  I recall a lot of this team isn't good enough stuff.

Here's something to think about in this dream some have that young studs are the way to go and over 30 is over the hill.

Top 8 point getters in the NHL right now? - average age is 29.5'ish.  4 of the top 8 are over 30.

Top 2 goal scorers?  33 and soon to be 31.  

Over 30 does NOT mean all washed up and not worth pursuing.  At all.  Especially in this day and age, with the training, fitness, recovery programs in place.

I'd say the young "studs" are just as much a gamble in that you don't really know how they'll fare over time and if they'll produce at a top level over a sustained period (either).

It's all a roll of the dice.  But chemistry matters a whole lot and this team is building some.  Start over and, well, who knows.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Miller too.  Petey at times.  I recall a lot of this team isn't good enough stuff.

Here's something to think about in this dream some have that young studs are the way to go and over 30 is over the hill.

Top 8 point getters in the NHL right now? - average age is 29.5'ish.  4 of the top 8 are over 30.

Over 30 does NOT mean all washed up and not worth pursuing.  At all.  Especially in this day and age, with the training, fitness, recovery programs in place.

I'd say the young "studs" are just as much a gamble in that you don't really know how they'll fare over time and if they'll produce at a top level over a sustained period (either).

It's all a roll of the dice.  But chemistry matters a whole lot and this team is building some.  Start over and, well, who knows.

.. you don’t read “tea leaves” Deb ? ;) 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

So you if you're critical of a player when they're playing poorly you can't say so?  

Were they playing well when I said they weren't?

Also, this team would be a lot better if they'd moved Boeser for a top 3 dman when I thought they should have