The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

Removing Bo from our lineup would be borderline catastrophic, and that has nothing to do with emotional attachment. The guy does some serious heavy lifting that allows other players to excel. 

I would say Miller helped Boeser out of his funk last year much more then Bo did. 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Anyone who doesn’t know that is a casual fan.

Thinking that Miller can replace what Bo can do is so wrong. Miller would not be able to handle Bo’s tough assignments.

I have said before Petey is the big question mark. He is being paid and is expected to be our top center. Yes he has not shown to be able to take that spot yet but when would he be considered our #2 center and making his way to the #1 spot? I believe it would be natural for him to transition from the #2 spot to the #1 spot when Miller goes on his decline as he ages. 

Bo has been the go to guy as we have not had anyone for years to do that role. He had to take the heavy load when the Sedins were still here. I think Miller is more then capable of handling more of Bo's minutes. Why would that be in question? He is bigger, stronger, quicker and much stronger along the boards. He kills penalties so he can play defense. He can obviously take face offs.

Bo is put on a pedestal  because he has been doing it since back when the team had much less depth. 

I think we are at a point now that we need to see what are "nice to have's" and what are serious needs are. We have two highly paid centers and the same with wingers. We all know what the needs are so I can see moves being made when they become available.

45 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I don't think Bo is instrumental and removing him destroys the team. But he plays a key role that isn't easily replaceable. Unless we get a 3rd line center and a top 4 RD or at least potential top 4 RD in return. Miller is better than Bo in every way but faceoffs. But that's not a huge gap. Miller is 54% in the dot. The issue is removing Bo removes Miller from Petey's line and Petey hasn't fully proven he's a legit 1C. The only way I move Bo is for a massive haul.

This.

Having a true 3C would align things more evenly/balanced. 

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I would say Miller helped Boeser out of his funk last year much more then Bo did. 

I have said before Petey is the big question mark. He is being paid and is expected to be our top center. Yes he has not shown to be able to take that spot yet but when would he be considered our #2 center and making his way to the #1 spot? I believe it would be natural for him to transition from the #2 spot to the #1 spot when Miller goes on his decline as he ages. 

Bo has been the go to guy as we have not had anyone for years to do that role. He had to take the heavy load when the Sedins were still here. I think Miller is more then capable of handling more of Bo's minutes. Why would that be in question? He is bigger, stronger, quicker and much stronger along the boards. He kills penalties so he can play defense. He can obviously take face offs.

Bo is put on a pedestal  because he has been doing it since back when the team had much less depth. 

I think we are at a point now that we need to see what are "nice to have's" and what are serious needs are. We have two highly paid centers and the same with wingers. We all know what the needs are so I can see moves being made when they become available.

Yup. It's time to put down the pom-poms and realize what the REAL needs are.

Edited by Sophomore Jinx

Just now, Muttley said:

For Horvat, I'm thinking in the neighborhood of  6,6 to 6.8M per for 8 years, same structure as the JT Miller deal + the no movement clause for the first 4 years..

He had to play through some lean years here from the end of the Sedin era, The, at times, crazy line-ups Benning put together until he got closer to a good roster. 

Having strength at center is a very good thing. 

I long for the days when 5 year deals were considered long, and teams weren't filled with stale and apathetic rosters. I look back at all the trades in the last 30 or 40 years, and I wonder if todays fan would even consider those moves...."sign Linden to 8 years!!!"...."max term for Kesler!!!"

Change is good, fresh blood is good. I'm not saying don't resign Bo, I like him, but not for the next 8 years....dontcha wanna see something new and exciting??? and maybe fill some glaring holes too? So much fear in Nux Nation. 

So ludicrous to say we can't have 3 good/great centerman on our team. This is exactly how I would build my team. People forget that Boudreau even threw the line of JT Petey Bo out last minute of a game last year. So no doesn't matter where Bo slots as 2nd line or 3rd line, all 3 guys will get their 20min+.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, mordekai said:

So ludicrous to say we can't have 3 good/great centerman on our team. This is exactly how I would build my team. People forget that Boudreau even threw the line of JT Petey Bo out last minute of a game last year. So no doesn't matter where Bo slots as 2nd line or 3rd line, all 3 guys will get their 20min+.

How much ice time does that leave for the fourth line center?

Calculating Figure It Out GIF

• Cheers 1

Just now, mordekai said:

Except we don't NEED 3 great centreman, but we do need a balanced, well rounded roster, without glaring deficiencies in other areas like RHD.

Just now, Sophomore Jinx said:

Zip. Shortening the bench for all 82 games.

And yet Bo, JT and EP all managed to see plenty of ice last year. Stripping Center depth to shore up other areas will most likely leave us solving one problem while creating another…. Especially given the fact EP has not necessarily shown himself to be strong on the dot. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

And yet Bo, JT and EP all managed to see plenty of ice last year. Stripping Center depth to shore up other areas will most likely leave us solving one problem while creating another…. Especially given the fact EP has not necessarily shown himself to be strong on the dot. 

I was being facetious about the shortened bench....but just how much centre depth do we need? It's not as if we have none, and I'd much rather have RHD depth, and PROSPECT depth.

We are more than good enough with a one-two punch at C with EP40 & JTM, and with the excess of riches on C (Bo) we can fix the "other areas".

I'd also like to see a more active role from the bottom 6, particularly from the 4th line. Another 3C, with a lesser role than what Bo would command (at that 3C position) in all likelihood would afford that (formerly mentioned) scenario. 

9 minutes ago, Muttley said:

When I said I'm thinking, I meant what I have a feeling they may do. Have to say, however, strength at center on a consistent basis is a great luxury, that's not to say

both JT and BO cant play wing, something that could be tried with Bo if Petey really excelled. The more looks you throw at the opposing teams, the more it potentially 

messes up their game plan. We know Boudreau will do what helps confuse the other teams.

All good points, especially the last bit.

Edited by Sophomore Jinx

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

But you also have to consider that as Miller gets older he might lose a step and have to switch to wing. 

Or that Pettersson can’t handle the duties of being a number 1 center, especially with the physical matchups in the playoffs.

Im not sold on our center depth enough to be willing to let anyone go. Not until we build up some actual depth in that position. We very well may need all three centers on the future.

I agree with everything you said here.

Except we’ve all seen what Petey can do in the playoffs. 

Minny St Louis and VGK were no slouches physically. They even targeted him and he was still able to put up better than a ppg. 

He didn’t look like he was intimidated nor did it affect his game. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

I agree with everything you said here.

Except we’ve all seen what Petey can do in the playoffs. 

Minny St Louis and VGK were no slouches physically. They even targeted him and he was still able to put up better than a ppg. 

He didn’t look like he was intimidated nor did it affect his game. 

I actually think Petey is at his best when he’s ‘the guy’ on a line. He seems to thrive when under pressure (as those playoffs exemplified). 

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1