The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Retool ideas

Hi, just throwing around some ideas on how we could improve our defense, clear some (almost) dead cap, plus get some returns on players whose contracts expire soon.

Overall I want us to get bigger and more gritty. I preface these ideas with saying, no I don't really want to get rid of Miller or Boeser! Also that I can't see us making the playoffs this season, so I would prefer we start retooling for next season now.

Trade 1

To BOS: Miller + Hamonic + Schenn

To VAN: Carlo + DeBrusk + Haula

We do this primarily to get Carlo, who is the perfect long term partner for Hughes, signed to $4.1m for 6 seasons. We also get Haula to keep as a 3C for next season. DeBrusk will be on-traded. BOS ends up with a ppg 2C in Miller. Hamonic and Schenn help replace the tough minutes that Carlo plays.

Trade 2

To SJS: Pearson + Poolman

To VAN: Kane (50% retained) + Knyzhov + Reedy

Pearson and Poolman contracts are pretty awful. This is an opportunity to get rid of them. Just rip the band aid off and do it now. E Kane comes with significant risk but can play the power forward role that Miller does on Petey's flank. Knyzhov is a 23 year old 6'2" Russian LD/RD that would be perfect on our bottom pairing. Reedy is a 22 year old developed center prospect ready to play in the NHL (6'2", 205 lb, righty). He should be given the opportunity to earn the 4C jersey for next season, if it doesn't work out then we find a 4C in the off season.

Trade 3

To NYR: Boeser

To VAN: Schneider

Expect Schneider to play a 3rd pairing role next season behind Carlo and Myers. In a few years (when Myers is gone) our RHD will be Carlo, Schneider, Burroughs.

Trade 4

To MON: DeBrusk

To VAN: Anderson

Anderson is not cheap ($5.5m x 6 seasons) and that's why Bergevin trades him for the cheaper DeBrusk. VAN gets bigger in our top 6 with Kane and Anderson. These guys will stand up for their teammates and create room for our skilled guys.

Retooled roster for this season with $3.2m in cap space:

Garland Horvat Anderson

Kane Pettersson Hoglander

Motte Haula Podkolzin

Dickinson Reedy Lammikko

(Dowling)

Hughes Carlo

OEL Myers

Knyzhov Burroughs

(Rathbone Schneider)

Demko (Halak)

21 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Trade 4

Anderson is not cheap ($5.5m x 6 seasons) and that's why Bergevin trades him for the cheaper DeBrusk. VAN gets bigger in our top 6 with Kane and Anderson. These guys will stand up for their teammates and create room for our skilled guys.

I've got some bad news for you.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Hi, just throwing around some ideas on how we could improve our defense, clear some (almost) dead cap, plus get some returns on players whose contracts expire soon.

Overall I want us to get bigger and more gritty. I preface these ideas with saying, no I don't really want to get rid of Miller or Boeser! Also that I can't see us making the playoffs this season, so I would prefer we start retooling for next season now.

Trade 1

To BOS: Miller + Hamonic + Schenn

To VAN: Carlo + DeBrusk + Haula

We do this primarily to get Carlo, who is the perfect long term partner for Hughes, signed to $4.1m for 6 seasons. We also get Haula to keep as a 3C for next season. DeBrusk will be on-traded. BOS ends up with a ppg 2C in Miller. Hamonic and Schenn help replace the tough minutes that Carlo plays.

Trade 2

To SJS: Pearson + Poolman

To VAN: Kane (50% retained) + Knyzhov + Reedy

Pearson and Poolman contracts are pretty awful. This is an opportunity to get rid of them. Just rip the band aid off and do it now. E Kane comes with significant risk but can play the power forward role that Miller does on Petey's flank. Knyzhov is a 23 year old 6'2" Russian LD/RD that would be perfect on our bottom pairing. Reedy is a 22 year old developed center prospect ready to play in the NHL (6'2", 205 lb, righty). He should be given the opportunity to earn the 4C jersey for next season, if it doesn't work out then we find a 4C in the off season.

Trade 3

To NYR: Boeser

To VAN: Schneider

Expect Schneider to play a 3rd pairing role next season behind Carlo and Myers. In a few years (when Myers is gone) our RHD will be Carlo, Schneider, Burroughs.

Trade 4

Retooled roster for this season with $3.2m in cap space:

Garland Horvat Anderson

Kane Pettersson Hoglander

Motte Haula Podkolzin

Dickinson Reedy Lammikko

(Dowling)

Hughes Carlo

OEL Myers

Knyzhov Burroughs

(Rathbone Schneider)

Demko (Halak)

Balanced, detailed, bigger, healthier, faster, stronger. Nice ideas!

That trade with the Bruins is brilliant! Fair value for Boston too and the type of move to really give them the extra kick they need now and I could see them biting as they are a desperate “win now” organization.

Schenn + Hamonic = Carlo

Miller = DeBrusk & Haula

I like how you worded it as and made it work out as a Re-tool and not a Re-build.

• Cheers 1

I like the idea of Carlo, but Boston seems reaaallly happy with him so I'd be surprised if he was moved

But you never know, Boston's Bergeron/Marchand window is almost closed 

I could see Miller extending with Boston too

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

Not sure why San Jose considers that.  Right now they have $5.85m of dead cap space in Kane.  You want then to retain $3.5m on Kane and take two bad contracts in Poolmsn and Pearson. That totals $9.25m of cap and doesn’t really improve their team. Plus they lose a couple young cheap prospects. 

Montreal hangs up the phone immediately. First off you may want to look into who’s the GM of Montreal. Secondly Anderson has been Montreal’s best forward this year.  He’s only 2 years older than Debrusk, is much better, and doesn’t cost much more.  If they ever move him they’ll get a better return than Jake Debrusk 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Cheers 1

I doubt the Bruins would part with Carlo. When they need a shutdown pairing they put Carlo and Forbort together and when they need offense they put Grzelcyk and McAvoy together. If anything they'd looked to find a better partner for McAvoy.

I can see Miller or Horvat interesting them. They need a C with Hall and Bergeron isn't getting younger.

I wonder if OEL would still interest them at this point but I would only expect long-term cap relief from any move that's just only for OEL.

My Bruins deal would be

OEL

Miller

Garland

roughly 17.5M in cap

for

Reilly

Debrusk

Wagner

Moore

Haula

roughly 13.25M

+

Lysell

2022 1st

2023 2nd(Becomes a 2023 1st if Boston wins the cup in 2022 or 2023)

Short term Rebuilding move. We take their cap dumps and they get 3 solid pieces. They give up two 1sts worth of assets(maybe 3 if they win the cup). We might have to retain on Miller to make the cap work better.

Bruins get a disgusting top 9 of

Marchand-Berg-Pasta

Hall-Miller-Garland

Foligno-Coyle-Smith

Top 4 of

OEL-McAvoy

Forbort-Carlo

With someone like Grzelcyk as your 5th D.

Haula/Debrusk/Reilly could all be flipped by us as minor trade deadline pieces at some point since they all expire on different years. We wouldn't get a lot but it would increase the amount of assets get. We get away from OEL's contract which helps us a lot long-term even though he's not bad. 

Overall a long-term move for us with cap relief and future pieces. Gives us more flexibility with the cap after rebuilding phases but more moves may need to be done.

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I like the idea of Carlo, but Boston seems reaaallly happy with him so I'd be surprised if he was moved

But you never know, Boston's Bergeron/Marchand window is almost closed 

I could see Miller extending with Boston too

Reason more so for them not to move Carlo so they can maximise their window.  Would expect them more willing to part with draft picks and roster players on the fringe of their lineup (DeBrusk, Haula) than Carlo.

Don’t see a team out East taking Hamonic when it’s so well documented that he has family reasons to stay out West.  It’s also 3M for a 3rd pairing D.  

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Reason more so for them not to move Carlo so they can maximise their window.  Would expect them more willing to part with draft picks and roster players on the fringe of their lineup (DeBrusk, Haula) than Carlo.

Don’t see a team out East taking Hamonic when it’s so well documented that he has family reasons to stay out West.  It’s also 3M for a 3rd pairing D.  

I agree, Carlo would be a great add but I just don't see Boston moving him. He's fantastic value for what he's paid too. 

Regarding the "Boston won't move Carlo" comments...absolutely understand. But it is going to HURT whoever takes on Miller. He is a fantastic player and could be the difference in the next two seasons for a team like Boston. Carlo is very good, but I believe Hamonic and Schenn will be able to do enough to cover his role. @mll - a bit rough calling Hamonic a 3rd pairing D....!

For the very reason that these ideas are a RETOOL (not rebuild) I am not looking for picks, I am focusing on younger NHL proven talent that can help our core to compete as early as next season. Plus maybe some younger guys on the cusp to give the retool some longevity.

Edited by BigTramFan

3 hours ago, Stech said:

As much as I like the idea of a retool, these proposals make our team significantly worse.

Hmm yeah I know what you mean. But if we sign Boeser for $7-8m and let Miller, Hamonic, Schenn walk for nothing then we are definitely going to be a worse team. Just trying to find ways to refresh our roster with younger guys with a bit more grit, and also fix our D issues...

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Not sure why San Jose considers that.  Right now they have $5.85m of dead cap space in Kane.  You want then to retain $3.5m on Kane and take two bad contracts in Poolmsn and Pearson. That totals $9.25m of cap and doesn’t really improve their team. Plus they lose a couple young cheap prospects. 

Montreal hangs up the phone immediately. First off you may want to look into who’s the GM of Montreal. Secondly Anderson has been Montreal’s best forward this year.  He’s only 2 years older than Debrusk, is much better, and doesn’t cost much more.  If they ever move him they’ll get a better return than Jake Debrusk 

Yeah you're right when you put it like that. We could actually afford to hold onto one of Pearson or Poolman with the roster I posted, as there was $3.2m in cap space with a 23 man roster