The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] GM hiring for Canucks!

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Who else would they trust to run the show as an interim GM?  He won't be doing the big job much into the off-season.   And like Linden he won't put up with much sh!t for long anyways.   Smyl isn't a puppet. 

Smyl has been around with 3 different owners and 6 different GM's as a coach or in the front office since 1991.  It's amazing he's been around that long and not really moved into any senior positions.  When Trevor Linden spoke his mind Aquiini sent him home.  Smyl must be really good at towing the company line to have lasted this long with so many changes to ownership and management.  One of the nicer guys you will meet and was a force on the ice when he played.  I wish him luck but he is just a placeholder.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Smyl has been around with 3 different owners and 6 different GM's as a coach or in the front office since 1991.  It's amazing he's been around that long and not really moved into any senior positions.  When Trevor Linden spoke his mind Aquiini sent him home.  Smyl must be really good at towing the company line to have lasted this long with so many changes to ownership and management.  One of the nicer guys you will meet and was a force on the ice when he played.  I wish him luck but he is just a placeholder.

When Linden "spoke his mind" is 100% supposition, although it makes a good story.   None of these guys need money. If they do it, they do it because they want to do it.  Including Smyl.   He's around because he wants to.   Whatever happened with Linden, is history.  But i for one, and glad he's no longer a deflector shield, and highly doubt Smyl will put up with much crap either. 

Edit:  I thought it was rather ironic, in the Canucks released video when Linden drove Benning to the rink the first time - the first management stop was to see Smyl.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Neither is anyone else who is actually good at being a GM.  I think Stan Smyl is Benning's replacement.  Perfect puppet for Aquilini and the Sedins get to learn on the job and do as they are told.  Should be fun times!!

Smyl could be AGM! not the GM! Id just start calling Dean Lombardi! take him from the Flyers!  and get things rolling in the right direction for the Vancouver Canucks! this guy has won multiple championships! he has a great resume! idk why your so set on Smyl! we need experience for Bruce Boudreau to be Successful for this organization! Dean brings that to the table! thats who we should have approached! not Marc Bergevin! lolol 

19C04FF0-6A9C-40B6-ABEB-001B16947A4F.jpeg

1 hour ago, KnuckleHead16 said:

Smyl could be AGM! not the GM! Id just start calling Dean Lombardi! take him from the Flyers!  and get things rolling in the right direction for the Vancouver Canucks! this guy has won multiple championships! he has a great resume! idk why your so set on Smyl! we need experience for Bruce Boudreau to be Successful for this organization! Dean brings that to the table! thats who we should have approached! not Marc Bergevin! lolol 

19C04FF0-6A9C-40B6-ABEB-001B16947A4F.jpeg

Good luck getting Lombardi to come here, and good luck getting Francesco to pay him $6 million+ per year...

22 hours ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

I'd like to see how this plays out...

Iain MacIntyre of Sportsnet has reported the group taking over for Benning will be a collaborative group consisting of Chris Gear, Ryan Johnson, Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, and Stan Smyl.

Me. too. Collaboration only works until really hard decisions have to be made. Too often, collaboration leads to paralysis by analysis. It will be interesting to see if inner power struggles develop. Imagine you have the Sedins on one side and Gear and Johnson on the other. Does Smyl get to choose or does he defer to Francesco?

In other observations, I noticed Aquilini remarked that some prospective GM candidates might be currently employed. This suggests to me he has someone specific in mind. Maybe not, by maybe so.

• Like 1

Hire Stan Smyl as the President of Hockey Operations to keep Francesco at bay from trying to be Jerry Jones

Hire Lawrence Gilman as GM and Vice President of Hockey Operations 

Hire Judd Brackett as AGM and Head of Scouting and player development and spear heads the draft and signing of college FA

Keep Chris Gear, Ryan Johnson as AGM’s and have the Sedins to learn the front office as Special assistants to President and GM so they can watch how a front office is suppose to work and Gilman could move to President in the future if things work out

I think this kind of power structure could make a big difference with improving the roster 

Credit to Lombardi for winning the cup but I think he gets to much credit.

In 2011-12 rumors were swirling that he was on the way out in LA but hiring Sutter in mid season turned the team around. This was Lombaris best move because in essence Sutter saved his job. Other than that, Lombardi has a lot of other questionable player over to his name.

The core of that team, Brown, Kopitar, Quick ...... were inherited from previous regimes.

Edited by GB5
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Me. too. Collaboration only works until really hard decisions have to be made. Too often, collaboration leads to paralysis by analysis. It will be interesting to see if inner power struggles develop. Imagine you have the Sedins on one side and Gear and Johnson on the other. Does Smyl get to choose or does he defer to Francesco?

In other observations, I noticed Aquilini remarked that some prospective GM candidates might be currently employed. This suggests to me he has someone specific in mind. Maybe not, by maybe so.

Like trying to get 6 people to pick a restaurant. 

Somebody has to step up and say hey get in the car I'm driving. There isn't from what I can tell a driver in that group and until we find one we ain't gonna eat. 

• Vintage 1

This is the one rare moment where I will agree with Thomas Drance.  

Joe Sakic is arguably the best GM in the game right now (Yzerman being the other), and McFarland has had the opportunity to work alongside Sakic since 2015.   

If MacFarland has learned well from Sakic, then we could be in extremely good hands.

On 12/5/2021 at 10:32 PM, KnuckleHead16 said:

We should Hire Dean Lombardi! this guy has won Championships! a proven track record! Since Canucks just hired Bruce Boudreau! yes a proven track record when it comes to regular season stats! but his track record lacks when it comes to playoffs! its not very good! Maybe with Dean Lombardi as our new GM! this Gets Boudreau over the hurdle when it comes to playoffs time! my honest opinion! 

A47EB917-FF86-4EDE-A653-ECBFB677F5EC.jpeg

Judging by your idea and what you wrote… you are not a KnuckleHead ;)

• Like 1