The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Winnipeg Jets at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 10, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

We need to keep an eye on who's coming our way playing division rivals.
I was praying we'd beat Boston, because knowing them, they'd strap on their boots and take out their next opponent - Edmonton - which they did.
I call that a 4 pointer of sorts.

Same with Carolina now, if they can beat Edmonton tonight, we have them the next night (tomorrow) on a back to back.
That's a might tall order with our D in shambles, but nothing's impossible.
That'd be another 4 pointer.

That could be an 8 point gain on Edmonton in under a week.
This is the way I'm looking at it. Bruce's mantra is a good one - win the week. 
I'm just adding "win those games against incoming teams playing divisional rivals while they're here - and cheer for them when they are" 

20 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It occurs to me that we could make up a D core that's arguably as good as our current D core with the defensemen we've jettisoned for nothing over the past year and a half.

Edler- Tanev

? - Schmidt

Juolevi- Stetcher

Vs

OEL - Myers

Hughes- Hamonic

Burr- Poolman

Just missing a 2nd pairing LD.

Juolevi has played one single game since the trade and continually gets bumped by other call ups. He is a bust.

Edler is way too slow for today’s game.

Tanev has never and will never be a top defenceman. He is 5/6 on a good team.

Schmidt and Green had issues. In the end we needed his cap hit for OEL who I say is well worth the swap.

Stetcher has played only 6 games this season and has never been skilled enough to be beyond a 6/7 defenceman. 

Edited by grandmaster
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I was wondering about the ice too. 

Any confirmation of ice conditions? 

I don't know if you had to watch the TSN Jets feed like I did but Kyle Connor was saying the key to their lines game was forcing turnovers because the ice was so bad. He said the puck was bobbling everywhere which I really noticed in the third period.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Edler is having an excellent season in LA, but your take on Tanev is the most "out to lunch" part of your entire post. Calgary is having an excellent season, and Tanev is a big reason why. He was a massive loss to the team, as the following season without him proved. Not to mention how important he was insulating Hughes in his rookie season.

I would kill to have Tanev back.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Pettersson, he still doesn't look right, or maybe he just isn't that good?  I don't know, seeing him fumbling the puck, trying to be too cute, and getting hammered along the boards. He'd fetch a pretty good Dman IMO. 

You'd be looking at futures with a team like Buffalo at best. 

Samuelsson, Laaksonen, and maybe Buffalo's 1st round pick from Vegas, maybe a 2nd in 2023? 

47 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd agree there, except he was playing under a guy who has no idea how to coach hockey at the NHL level.  I think some guys could surprise us now that the cancer has been removed from the room.

Lol, well it's hard to disagree with that at this point. Even with horrible coaching a player should be able to rely on his past life of hockey. All I've seen is a guy that has no clue how to read the game and that's totally on him. Who knows though, maybe BB could simplify the game for him and make him useful. It's a shame, the toolbox is overflowing but the operator isn't able to operate them with any success in the bigs.

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Lol, well it's hard to disagree with that at this point. Even with horrible coaching a player should be able to rely on his past life of hockey. All I've seen is a guy that has no clue how to read the game and that's totally on him. Who knows though, maybe BB could simplify the game for him and make him useful. It's a shame, the toolbox is overflowing but the operator isn't able to operate them with any success in the bigs.

He's read it fine at lower levels.   Green went beyond horrible coaching and actively sabotaged players, leaving them with the choice of using their hockey sense or following Green's instructions.  That's confusing for anyone trying to make the team.

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He's read it fine at lower levels.   Green went beyond horrible coaching and actively sabotaged players, leaving them with the choice of using their hockey sense or following Green's instructions.  That's confusing for anyone trying to make the team.

Seeing what our team is capable of  without Green at the helm, as well as how a lot of the higher end players we've jettisoned are doing elsewhere, it really can't be understated just how terrible of a coach Green was, and how necessary it was to cut him and Baumer loose.

I just wish it had been done when most of us first started calling for his head. We might still have a realistic shot at the playoffs.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Edler is having an excellent season in LA, but your take on Tanev is the most "out to lunch" part of your entire post. Calgary is having an excellent season, and Tanev is a big reason why. He was a massive loss to the team, as the following season without him proved. Not to mention how important he was insulating Hughes in his rookie season.

I would kill to have Tanev back.

I supported moving on from Tanev but I thought we'd finally replace him with a true #1 RD ... not Hamonic :sick: but yeah I'd definitely murder someone (that deserved it, like Trump) to have him playing right now. :P

More pressing is the need for a LD (who would have thought), gawd we were having trouble clearing the puck ... to many backhands on the boards.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Juolevi has played one single game since the trade and continually gets bumped by other call ups. He is a bust.

Edler is way too slow for today’s game.

Schmidt and Green had issues. In the end we needed his cap hit for OEL who I say is well worth the swap.

Stetcher has played only 6 games this season and has never been skilled enough to be beyond a 6/7 defenceman. 

I am fine with Edler gone, I think even under Boudreau he'd still be struggling. He had really high expectations and being in LA he can play a more secondary role which suits him better. And I prefer OEL anyway. But that's personal preference.

Tanev I was wrong about, letting him go was absolutely a mistake. Same with Stecher. Who has only played 6 games cause of injuries. He had surgery on his wrist, out til Feb. But he'd be a better, likely cheaper 3rd pair option than Poolboy.

It's also too soon to tell on Juolevi, he's only just now played his first game for Florida. Apparently he had a groin pull early in the season and they also likely wanted to take it slow and let him get situated. Since he's only played 3 games in the A as well. Meaning he's been chilling with the main team, just not playing. But they are starting to play him now. So we'll see just how much of a player there is with Juolevi in the coming months.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I supported moving on from Tanev but I thought we'd finally replace him with a true #1 RD ... not Hamonic :sick: but yeah I'd definitely murder someone (that deserved it, like Trump) to have him playing right now. :P

More pressing is the need for a LD (who would have thought), gawd we were having trouble clearing the puck ... to many backhands on the boards.

I still think our most significant need overall is for a true top pairing RD, however, a big bodied LD that can kill penalties is something we should be actively looking for right now. 

• Cheers 1