The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Seattle Kraken | Jan. 01, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Barefoot said:

Okay, so new heated debate time:  What would/could Virtanen have been/played like/become if we had Bruce instead of Travis?   Start fire, walk away......... and.... go!

I wonder if a stronger coaching staff with guys like Bruce and Scott could have corrected a lot of things with him. The biggest problem with Jake is between his ears. 

He has the tools. He just doesn't know how to use them effectively. Jake would certainly benefit from someone taking him back to square one. And learn how to play the right way. Sadly all Jake had to do is watch the hard working players on the club and copy what they are doing. Coaching can't fix you if your head is not in the right place. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Well said and Greens' rigid nature was his downfall.  

I kinda liken it to how a team can play so different in front of the back up goalie. I find teams play with a lot more trust and security when they know their starting horse is in the net...if you have a shaky back up, your teams confidence is lost a bit and the players start trying to do too much to try and cover for the weakness in net...I don't know if anyone else has noticed this. But I see it in lots of teams. That's trust and confidence in your peers to get the job done. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

I wonder if a stronger coaching staff with guys like Bruce and Scott could have corrected a lot of things with him. The biggest problem with Jake is between his ears. 

He has the tools. He just doesn't know how to use them effectively. Jake would certainly benefit from someone taking him back to square one. And learn how to play the right way. Sadly all Jake had to do is watch the hard working players on the club and copy what they are doing. Coaching can't fix you if your head is not in the right place. 

Rutherford would have traded Jake while he still had value. 

I'm actually curious to see what happens with Hamonic now, if we can get him back to middle-pairing form thats a big win for us. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm actually curious to see what happens with Hamonic now, if we can get him back to middle-pairing form thats a big win for us. 

Maybe he could have traded guys like Gaudette when he had value too. :( 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Good point and Boudreau seems to have set up, three scoring lines and a decent checking line consisted of, Motte, Lammi and Highmore (fun line to watch last night and it would be interesting, to see how they perform against some tougher competition)...

Yes it sure will... tougher opponents will be met, but they have definitely raised the bar...

And yes can't understand how they suddenly becomes this winning machine.... there is often a reaction for just getting new management team in, but this is unreal.

No doubt BB's idea of playing on the front foot during PK, and pressurising the puck carrier has done wonders... just like shoot the puck has...

I think the most important part from BB, was not talking about playoffs and getting there or giving up on it, but in stead use 'WIN THE WEEK' phrase... 

Its almost as if everyone started with a clean slate, and not having to look at percentages or points etc. have given the freedom to express them selves...

Whatever it is, its working... and massive kudos to both players and coaching staff to turn it around... Cinderella story in the making :)

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think his cocky stand of holding out of training camp, that statement he made that he just wants to play for a winner, and then actually missing training camp has played tricks with his ego.  His confidence is in the toilet.  Boudreau is helping but you can see him second guessing everything he does.  He has never been the fastest guy but his brains and hands were faster than everyone else.  Now those are letting him down because he has the yips.  If he gets it figured out and plays anywhere close to what he can, the Canucks will be a force.  

Mostly agree, except on your training camp comment.  My theory, on his holdout was [perhaps] due mostly to the coaching situation.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

We need to find a proper 4 C and 3 LD and we could do some damage this year. Getting Hamonic back definitely rounds out or RD side, although I have been liking Schenn and the job he's been doing in his place. I almost wonder if it's worth moving Hamonic to get a 4 C, maybe a depth LD...as much as I think Brad Hunt is a good guy we need more grit on the left side.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

EP

I think he's got some physical and mental adjustments to make. I wonder if he has lingering effects of his injuries? Also as a young man with fat cash and a big money contract, that has to effect the ego. Then not earning it? He hung his head after the game and I know that look. Generally people are harder on themselves for self criticism. 

Tonight he had 2 clean looks from in close, both times he double clutched and got stopped. Coach B has to tell him to shoot, quickly and often. 

Also I haven't seen him unicycle much lately? Boy needs to relax and go with the flow. 

But his pk work is great. 

I think that he'll pull out of this slump. 

Yep noticed that too...

Wonder if he is too focussed on the other aspects of the game, or if its something deeper...

He is a young man, and who knows, if all is right back in Sweden or elsewhere in his life...

Definitely something has changed, as he doesn't act on instinct like he did, when he was on fire.... Maybe he needs to go back to being a winger instead...

• Vintage 1

We can all agree. It's great to see Vancouver put the boots to Seattle. Getting dominated by them earlier in the season was just embarrassing. 

Kudos for Seattle for fighting back like they did. But man, Seattle's goaltending is awful. If they actually got a healthy Carey Price at the expansion draft. Yikes. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Attila Umbrus said:

We need to find a proper 4 C and 3 LD and we could do some damage this year. Getting Hamonic back definitely rounds out or RD side, although I have been liking Schenn and the job he's been doing in his place. I almost wonder if it's worth moving Hamonic to get a 4 C, maybe a depth LD...as much as I think Brad Hunt is a good guy we need more grit on the left side.

Hunt is a defensive adventure. Burroughs is better. 

For sure a LHD upgrade would be a nice get... maybe a Rathbone trade? 

I like Lammikko as a winger/C but it seems to be a bit much for him as a full time C. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

We can all agree. It's great to see Vancouver put the boots to Seattle. Getting dominated by them earlier in the season was just embarrassing. 

Kudos for Seattle for fighting back like they did. But man, Seattle's goaltending is awful. If they actually got a healthy Carey Price at the expansion draft. Yikes. 

I wonder if Edmonton will try to go all-in on Grubie? he's a better goalie than this, watching the d in front of him reminded me of a recent former coach of ours....

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Or a Thatcher Demko, (if we'd re-signed Marky)

• Vintage 2

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Unlike, Podz with his wife (married young), JV had his buddies instead to get him through the Green treatment.  Imo, JV surrounded himself with the wrong people; and he reminds me, so much of Myers, who is playing very differently under Boudreau.  

I also do wonder, how JV would had progressed under a different coach, instead of a mediocre and rigid coach like Green, who motivated in a [very different] manner.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

Hunt is a defensive adventure. Burroughs is better. 

For sure a LHD upgrade would be a nice get... maybe a Rathbone trade? 

I like Lammikko as a winger/C but it seems to be a bit much for him as a full time C. 

Agreed, that's the thing with Rathbone. As much as I like him we already have a lot of LD that are like him. He will never be Hughes and he'll never be OEL...so that leaves him at 3 LD and we need more grit there. You could be right about him getting moved. 

Lammy, I really like him. He's got some good intangibles for the 4th line. But he's not better than highmore or motte. His only saving grace right now is that he can play center in a pinch. This is where we really miss Sutter. 

• Like 1

Another solid effort last night. 

Really loving the way this team is playing. 

There were some here that were saying after the first 4/5 games under BB was just a coaching bump but the team was still not very good and they will come back down to earth. We've managed to go. 8-0-1 under BB

After the next game against Ottawa, our schedule becomes much tougher. 

We play 10 games in a row against good playoff teams. (panthers, Tampa, canes, caps, preds, panthers, blues, oilers, jets, flames) 

This will be the true test to see whether we belong with them or not. 

We need Petey going asap. 

And when is Brock back? 

Also would love to see Hammer back. 

Gonna need all handa on deck. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Agreed, that's the thing with Rathbone. As much as I like him we already have a lot of LD that are like him. He will never be Hughes and he'll never be OEL...so that leaves him at 3 LD and we need more grit there. You could be right about him getting moved. 

Lammy, I really like him. He's got some good intangibles for the 4th line. But he's not better than highmore or motte. His only saving grace right now is that he can play center in a pinch. This is where we really miss Sutter. 

if we had a healthy Suttter, Green might still have a job. OK maybe not, but close.

I don't think we could move Rathbone for a kings ransom, but a solid veteran with some grit would fit in nicely. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Unlike, Podz with his wife (married young), JV had his buddies instead to get him through the Green treatment.  Imo, JV surrounded himself with the wrong people; and he reminds me, so much of Myers, who is playing very differently under Boudreau.  

I also do wonder, how JV would had progressed under a different coach, instead of a mediocre and rigid coach like Green, who motivated in a [very different] manner.

Having a coach talk to you as a human being, that alone might have been helpful to Jake. One of the best things I notice about Bruce is. He tolerates mistakes. 

As long as the overall goal gets achieved. The mistakes and miscues he can work on and correct. Under Green if you screwed up once, he benched you the rest of the game. 

Jake and to a lesser extent Gaudette, seemed like they were playing scared. 

• Vintage 4