The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Miller for kakko or lafriener

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think the Canucks management would be foolish not to be asking for Laff/Kakko as part of the package for Miller. 

You gotta give to get, and for a point per game (just about) PWF who plays literally in all situations? What’s that worth? Does Kakko or Laff do that? 

better do  do-dilligents. some ny fans have labelled them both as busts. i would think schneider , chytil and a first or second round pick.

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

better do  do-dilligents. some ny fans have labelled them both as busts. i would think schneider , chytil and a first or second round pick.

in fact i'ld offer 2 trade ideas.

1...miller for schneider, chytil and a first or

2...lindgren, barron and 2 seconds

Definitely don't want Lafrenière or Kakko, not that I don't think they can't both become strong and impactful NHL players. They just haven't shown enough yet for me to justify passing on our biggest positional need in a top pairing RHD, which is why the center piece of any trade from NYR has to be Schneider. 

Schneider is one of the top, young RHD prospects that has size and plays like it. He has progressed and improved every season since his draft year and hasn't looked out of place since starting pro hockey this season.

Here is an article with a good, level headed, realistic view of how I think the rest of this NHL season should go for the Canucks:

https://canucksarmy.com/2022/01/28/canucks-selling-deadline-chasing-playoffs/

Trade Miller for 1st, Schneider, and Ottoman off NYR

Trade Boeser for 1st and Barron, O' Connor off Avs

Trade Pearson for a 3rd

Trade Halak for a 2nd 

Trade ChasOn for 7th

so we get returns of 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 7th plus Schneider, Ottoman, Barron and O'Connor.

Use cap space to re-sign Horvat and sign a top 6 center and top 4 D

future lineup:

Garland-Petersson-Podkolzin

Hoglander-Horvat-Ottoman

O'Connor-UFA-Dickenson

Motte-Lammiko-Highmore

Hughes-Schneider

OEL-Myers

Barron-Rathbone/Poolman

Schenn

Demko

Martin

The forward group will be younger but full of potential while the D group will be a lot faster and much more offensive while still veing decent on defensive side.

58 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Definitely don't want Lafrenière or Kakko, not that I don't think they can't both become strong and impactful NHL players. They just haven't shown enough yet for me to justify passing on our biggest positional need in a top pairing RHD, which is why the center piece of any trade from NYR has to be Schneider. 

Schneider is one of the top, young RHD prospects that has size and plays like it. He has progressed and improved every season since his draft year and hasn't looked out of place since starting pro hockey this season.

Here is an article with a good, level headed, realistic view of how I think the rest of this NHL season should go for the Canucks:

Canucks have to get Schneider fast before NYR makes him untoucheable. He got 2 points last night and looked great defensively. Canucks definitely need that type of D and he would be someone to eventually replace Myers in 2 years.

1 hour ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Canucks have to get Schneider fast before NYR makes him untoucheable. He got 2 points last night and looked great defensively. Canucks definitely need that type of D and he would be someone to eventually replace Myers in 2 years.

3 hours ago, smithers joe said:

That’s rough. They’re both 20 years old, and not all 1OA picks do well right out of the gate. 

I don’t know if Laff or Kakko are generational players. Most likely not. I see Generational players are like the McDavids and Crosby’s of the world. The Ovechkin’s. Laff and Kakko strike me as players that will be very good one day in the league, but might take them a few years to get going. Should’ve have sent them back to Europe or Juniors for them to continue developing. 

NY’s a rough stage. If they feel like those two are busts, I would not mind seeing if we can get one or the other. I prefer Laff over Kakko, though.

Laff, Schneider, and a 2nd. 

Should get it done for Miller plus another player, or pick? 

Edited by N4ZZY

7 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Yeah. For me any deal with the Rangers will have to be with Schneider being the centre piece. 

Schneider had 2 assists, one was a primary assist that was a pass shot. He was +1, one of only 2 defenseman in that 5-3 loss. Played 18 minutes while playing great D. He is definitely NHL ready and can be inserted into the top D pairing for Canucks right away. His salary cap is ELC, so he will be cost controlled until Myers contract is up and can ve easily re-signed. Fits the age group for our team going forward. Another prospect that Canucks can ask NYR to add to Schneider would be Ottoman depending on how high they are on Miller. Canucks have to act fast this year on Miller if they really want to trade him while the demand is high. If they can catch NYR in a desparate situation, they can really extract highly valuable prospects out of them. 

Another trade would probably be getting Newhook off the Avs for Miller because Kadri could price himself out this offseason and Miller would still be signed next year. 

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

That’s rough. They’re both 20 years old, and not all 1OA picks do well right out of the gate. 

I don’t know if Laff or Kakko are generational players. Most likely not. I see Generational players are like the McDavids and Crosby’s of the world. The Ovechkin’s. Laff and Kakko strike me as players that will be very good one day in the league, but might take them a few years to get going. Should’ve have sent them back to Europe or Juniors for them to continue developing. 

NY’s a rough stage. If they feel like those two are busts, I would not mind seeing if we can get one or the other. I prefer Laff over Kakko, though.

Laff, Schneider, and a 2nd. 

Should get it done for Miller plus another player, or pick? 

I dont mind Laff as a piece in a package but not a center piece. The center piece would be Schneider. But I would go for Ottoman instead of Laf to be honest.

1st, Schneider and Ottoman does it for me if we are trading Miller. If NYR doesnt want to give up Ottoman, I would ask for 1st, Schneider and Lunkvist to really build our defense with Demko and Martin as the goalie duo. 

Hughes-Schneider

Lunkvist-OEL

Rathbone-Myers

Poolman, Schenn

If we get Lunkvist and Schneider in a deal for Miller, that would make our D set for present and future while making the cap structure work. Getting 2 NHL ready D on ELC is really valuable. 

3 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

I dont mind Laff as a piece in a package but not a center piece. The center piece would be Schneider. But I would go for Ottoman instead of Laf to be honest.

1st, Schneider and Ottoman does it for me if we are trading Miller. If NYR doesnt want to give up Ottoman, I would ask for 1st, Schneider and Lunkvist to really build our defense with Demko and Martin as the goalie duo. 

Hughes-Schneider

Lunkvist-OEL

Rathbone-Myers

Poolman, Schenn

If we get Lunkvist and Schneider in a deal for Miller, that would make our D set for present and future while making the cap structure work. Getting 2 NHL ready D on ELC is really valuable. 

I don’t know if the NYR would be willing to part with two RHD prospects in their system. One being on the verge of graduating to the Ranger line up, and the other might not be too far off. 

I agree that Schneider has to be the centre piece of any deal for Miller. 

I’d still want Laff or Kakko. How good is Ottoman? Is he a top six player?

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I don’t know if the NYR would be willing to part with two RHD prospects in their system. One being on the verge of graduating to the Ranger line up, and the other might not be too far off. 

I agree that Schneider has to be the centre piece of any deal for Miller. 

I’d still want Laff or Kakko. How good is Ottoman? Is he a top six player?

Othmann is legit. I mean he drawed playing comps to Hyman and Morrow but junior stats shows he’s much more offensive. Whether that translates that’s the gamble with prospects. But his D+1 year he’s got 54 points in 34 games in the OHL and another nice sign is the next closest guy on his team only has 38 points. So he’s carrying his team offensively. If we don’t ask for Laf or Kakko I’d be asking for Schnieder and Othmann ++

• Cheers 1