The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Miller for kakko or lafriener

12 hours ago, Odjick 4 Premier said:

If Miller goes back to Broadway it’s going to be a package including a few players like Kravstov, Lundkvist, Miller, Lindgren, Chytil and the insider reports are that Schneider, Kakko and LaFrienier are untouchables 

I think if they could get Lundkvist, Kravstov and Lindgren or Chytil that would be a great package of players that would fix Vancouver’s defensive depth on cheap contracts that are young and only going to get better 

Any serious trades this year now involve Miller and Chychrun.

The price for both will be comparable with Miller commanding the higher return for obvious reasons the least of which have to do with injury.

Anaheim and NYR are reportedly in on Chychrun as well but you know full well they're not getting him without Zegras or McTavish coming back, so why would we accept less than a Schneider, Kakko or Lafrennier and a 1st as part of a Miller return?

15 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I'd only trade Miller for 1st round pick+highly touted RHD prospect+some other piece

That's what your saying now...what if he gets injured - or just doesn't play as well as he has been, we don't trade him and next year the best we can hope for is cap space or a late first?   Miller could actually work out to both better the team now, and for the future if we trade him this year - with retention he's a gold mine.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

Miller = Chytil, Schneider, 1st

Miller + Schenn = Chytil, Schneider, Barron, 2nd

Miller + Motte = Chytil, Schneider, Othmann, 2nd

As for the OP, I doubt they're available and a 'shiny' as they are, they're not really what we need.

I like the bolded proposal except I'd rather swap out Chytil, he really doesn't impress me, and take Barron who is a massive person that actually plays center and wins faceoffs and use Barron's lower value to up the 2nd to a 1st as it would be a very late 1st. 

But if NY insists on Chytil as a cap dump then I'm ok with that as long as we still push for the 1st for helping them a bit.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Miller and Mitte are going to the Rags and Lafrenier will be part of the return

We'll then flip Lafrenier to Montreal with their Mailleaux fiasco pick and a lottery protected first coming back.

It's all coming together.

You lead a rich fantasy life my friend.  Good on ya 

17 hours ago, Odjick 4 Premier said:

If Miller goes back to Broadway it’s going to be a package including a few players like Kravstov, Lundkvist, Miller, Lindgren, Chytil and the insider reports are that Schneider, Kakko and LaFrienier are untouchables 

I think if they could get Lundkvist, Kravstov and Lindgren or Chytil that would be a great package of players that would fix Vancouver’s defensive depth on cheap contracts that are young and only going to get better 

Again you have to give up a high caliber piece to get a player like Miller we don't just give him away for a bunch of half decent dudes. If a team wants him they are going to have to make an untouchable available.

5 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Nothing  has come together though.  Show me  one instance where a legitimate hockey insider or reporter has suggested that Lafreniere is available. Let alone for Miller. 

Don't take my dream away man!!!

Don't yuck my yums!!!

14 hours ago, IBatch said:

That's what your saying now...what if he gets injured - or just doesn't play as well as he has been, we don't trade him and next year the best we can hope for is cap space or a late first?   Miller could actually work out to both better the team now, and for the future if we trade him this year - with retention he's a gold mine.  

Hes been playing this well for basically his entire tenure here. I don't expect him to drop off a cliff.

And if he gets injured? As long as he's projected back for the playoffs, that might open up more trade partners. Teams up against the cap can put him on LTIR and reactivate him for game 1

7 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Hes been playing this well for basically his entire tenure here. I don't expect him to drop off a cliff.

And if he gets injured? As long as he's projected back for the playoffs, that might open up more trade partners. Teams up against the cap can put him on LTIR and reactivate him for game 1

What if he gets injured for us ... or we've seen the best of him, next year his stock goes down as well.   Two runs at 2.65k for a guy who's 13th overall since we've traded for him, ahead of and around the best names in the NHL.   That are all getting paid 8-12.5 million.    Ahead of Tavares.   Stone and Zinbanejad.   Yes part of that's durability, and a deeper dive he's not 13th overall in 5 x 5...and not even first on our team this year  (Garland is).  

To me he's going to be getting a raise.   A nice big one.   So is BB, and so is Horvat, so is Hogs and Motte, and Podz....if this team isn't good enough now, why should be expect it to be even better with less depth and the same guys?   Our D is expensive but doesn't produce like an expensive D, even with QHs.    Trading one of our best cap players might seem counterintuitive i get that.    Who would you trade?   Brock for sure is also low hanging fruit because of his "feared contract".    Simple take him to arbitration or trade him as well.  

Look at ANA.   Zegras and McTavish (if McTavish was still available at 9, i'd have really hated the LE trade, he was long gone)... That's probably the cost we paid to have Miller and Myers on our team ... 

It's tough.   If we have a chance to improve now for the future - take it.   This team is dangerously close to another rebuild.   I could personally stomach that but get the fanbase as a whole cant.   "8 long years"... of which we only rebuilt for 3 or 4 of them.    Miller  re-signed ... means we lose something else.    Brock i feel will sign for less then 7 and for 5-6 years or be traded.   

Simply we aren't a contender.   My hope is we actually make the playoffs and then trade Miller at the draft because i also see the value in playoff experience. And Bruce seems to have a good pulse on the team.    My second scenario which is equally good in my books is we re-set this team at the deadline - and Miller is the best trade chip by far.   I love Miller too so this is tough to say - but i also loved Butcher - and look what he gave that team....

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

On 1/25/2022 at 5:15 PM, Stech said:

Yeah, that's much better. A 1 for 1 for a hyped yet massively underperforming prospect/player is way too risky for us. We need to mitigate this by trading for multiple pieces; any of which could match or exceed Miller's value eventually.

My proposal would be:

To NYR:

• JT Miller

To VAN:

• One of Lundkvist/Schneider (would be the main piece, both are expected to be top-4 RHD)
  • One of Chytil/Kravtsov/Othmann/Gettinger (decent offensive secondary piece, Kravtsov essentially demanded a trade and could be a great buy-low target, while Othmann was a recent 1st round pick)
  • 1st or 2nd round pick (depending on the combination of players above)

Is Chytil good? I havent watched him play but his numbers are getting worse. 

38 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Is Chytil good? I havent watched him play but his numbers are getting worse. 

His floor is a solid 3rd line W'er/C, with good size, excellent skating, and solid two way play.

His offense has been in fits and spurts thus far... But he is also only 22. And perhaps a trade as a kick in the pants, and additional opportunity on a lesser team, jump start that for him. He certainly has untapped ceiling still.

And he's not likely the main piece coming back.

• Cheers 1

On 1/26/2022 at 1:30 PM, hammertime said:

Again you have to give up a high caliber piece to get a player like Miller we don't just give him away for a bunch of half decent dudes. If a team wants him they are going to have to make an untouchable available.

The entire league also knows that the Canucks are in a cap tight situation. Everyone knows that this point is Miller’s highest point of value. If he’s traded later in the year, his value diminishes by the month. 

On 1/26/2022 at 2:56 PM, qwijibo said:

Nothing  has come together though.  Show me  one instance where a legitimate hockey insider or reporter has suggested that Lafreniere is available. Let alone for Miller. 

I think the Canucks management would be foolish not to be asking for Laff/Kakko as part of the package for Miller. 

You gotta give to get, and for a point per game (just about) PWF who plays literally in all situations? What’s that worth? Does Kakko or Laff do that? 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I think the Canucks management would be foolish not to be asking for Laff/Kakko as part of the package for Miller. 

You gotta give to get, and for a point per game (just about) PWF who plays literally in all situations? What’s that worth? Does Kakko or Laff do that? 

Apples to oranges.  They are both very young prospects who were taken at the top of the draft.  When was the last time a prospect that was taken 1st OA was traded away for a rental a year and a half after being drafted?  I’d be willing to be it hadn’t happened in the cap era 

First they must see if resigning Miller and Bo is possible. If you only have one more season with these two then they need to start making moves for the future. If they will both sign up for the long hall then trade Boeser for a prospect and pick.  Try to move out Pearson, Dickinson and Poolman.  After next year Hamonic and the 2.4 mil of dead cap will come off. Work on building a deeper farm team for next year. 

If Miller and Bo won't resign then we are in for a bigger rebuild.

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

The entire league also knows that the Canucks are in a cap tight situation. Everyone knows that this point is Miller’s highest point of value. If he’s traded later in the year, his value diminishes by the month. 

huh???? 

the sky is falling?