The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Patrik Allvin as GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Patrik Allvin as GM  

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, The Lock said:

Anyway, @ShawnAntoski this conversation's getting to be pretty meaningless if this is what you consider to be a "hockey discussion". I think perhaps what happened is you had an opinion, people opposed your opinion, you couldn't handle it and now everyone else is childish but you, yes? ;)

You didn't want a hockey discussion - troll.  

2 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

You didn't want a hockey discussion - troll.  

I do want a hockey dsicussion. I literally asked you about what you felt about our current GM winning 2 cups (Edit: actually 3 cups) and whether or not is was meaningless to you. Are you going to answer?

Edited by The Lock

23 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I do want a hockey dsicussion. I literally asked you about what you felt about our current GM winning 2 cups and whether or not is was meaningless to you. Are you going to answer?

I answered, it in the previous threads. 

To reiterate:  I am not discounting, the trophies that happened under JR (in Pitsburgh) and just like Gillis, they both inherited the core from previous regimes.  My points: Pitsburgh got there cups, by having two generational talents on there team and they acquired, there core through mulitple drafts  - under a different regime.  Of course, I understand that the main focus, was to keep winning with the Crosby core. I like what both, JR and Allvin said about focusing, on drafting & development - for now; but there record in Pittsburgh, when it comes to D&D was very similar to Gillis - when he handed the team over JB - outside, of a few pieces there was no prospect pipeline to transition to.  There is a reason, why JR [resigned] and Allvin was immediately replaced by Hextall, as GM.   Outside of what was said, in the presser, which I agree with - I am also cautiously optimistic, about the upcoming moves based on there draft & development record in Pittsburgh.  JB left them some good pieces, but the cap situation will require some creativity.  

I am willing to give this group a chance based on JRs' resume but I am cautiously optimistic.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

Don't know the answer to the poll question. Wait and see for me.. proof will be in the pudding. We'll know the answer in a couple of years.. 

I'm concerned about his drafting record. Hopefully he'll do better with higher picks and has improved in this part of his job. 

• Vintage 2

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

To reiterate:  I am not discounting, the trophies that happened under JR (in Pitsburgh) and just like Gillis, they both inherited the core from previous regimes.  My points: Pitsburgh got there cups, by having two generational talents on there team and they acquired, there core through mulitple drafts  - under a different regime.  I like what both, JR and Allvin said about focusing, on drafting & development - for now; but there record in Pittsburgh, when it comes to D&D was very similar to Gillis - when he handed the team over JB - outside, of a few pieces there was no prospect pipeline to transition to.  There is a reason, why JR [resigned] and Allvin was immediately replaced by Hextall, as GM.   Outside of what was said, in the presser, which I agree with - I am also cautiously optimistic, about the upcoming moves based on there draft & development record in Pittsburgh.  JB left them some good pieces, but the cap situation will require some creativity.  

I am willing to give this group a chance based on JRs' resume but I am cautiously optimistic.  

Alright. Let me point some things out.

1. 2 generational talents do not always get you the cup. We've seen the woes in Edmonton with Draisaitl and McDavid. We've seen the woes in LA in the 90's with Gretzky and Nicholls/Robataille. In fact, if you look at the past, Pittsburgh is more rare than not. There are often a lot of good duo generational talents on teams that never win a cup. Therefoire, generational talent obviously helps, but it alone doesn't win you cups.

2. Therefore, based on 1, you need a good overall team. That's where the GM comes in. Pittsburgh was stuggling to reach that hump before JR arrived. Remember that the previous cup before JR was 5 years prior with the same 2 generational players you mentioned.

3. Luck also plays it's part. Who thought St. Louis was going to win the cup a couple of years ago? The playoffs is often more a war of luck and attrition.

4.Why do you think the Sedins often struggled in the playoffs? They were targetted because they were the biggest threat we had. We often see a lot of generational talents put up less points in the playoffs for much the same reasoning. This means that scoring by committee is really needed in the playoffs. The generational talent is arguably the distration for the opposition at times. ;) 

Anyway, I'm glad you're at least willing to give the group a chance. Just do me a favour and reflect on this thread and how this conversation went. Don't do it tonight when your blood is pumping. Do it tomorrow. That's all I'm going to ask.

14 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Alright. Let me point some things out.

1. 2 generational talents do not always get you the cup. We've seen the woes in Edmonton with Draisaitl and McDavid. We've seen the woes in LA in the 90's with Gretzky and Nicholls/Robataille. In fact, if you look at the past, Pittsburgh is more rare than not. There are often a lot of good duo generational talents on teams that never win a cup. Therefoire, generational talent obviously helps, but it alone doesn't win you cups.

2. Therefore, based on 1, you need a good overall team. That's where the GM comes in. Pittsburgh was stuggling to reach that hump before JR arrived. Remember that the previous cup before JR was 5 years prior with the same 2 generational players you mentioned.

3. Luck also plays it's part. Who thought St. Louis was going to win the cup a couple of years ago? The playoffs is often more a war of luck and attrition.

4.Why do you think the Sedins often struggled in the playoffs? They were targetted because they were the biggest threat we had. We often see a lot of generational talents put up less points in the playoffs for much the same reasoning. This means that scoring by committee is really needed in the playoffs. The generational talent is arguably the distration for the opposition at times. ;) 

Anyway, I'm glad you're at least willing to give the group a chance. Just do me a favour and reflect on this thread and how this conversation went. Don't do it tonight when your blood is pumping. Do it tomorrow. That's all I'm going to ask.

You started out, right and if I was getting riled up by your trolling, I wouldn't had bothered - to civilly  respond.  Anyways, thanks for the lecture and the condescending tone - not surprising from Tas.

Lots of holes in your weak points: Edmonton, doesn't have a Fleury or Fuhr on there roster - it is after all a team game and a game that relies heavily on a goalie.  Also, Fluery was the 1st OA pick.

Secondly, the playoffs are played under a different set of rules and the Sedins, like to play a gentleman's type of hockey, that depends on the Zebras to call the games by the rules - did you already forget, Marchands.baffled look on his face while he mugging our beloved Sedin and how Boston douched there way, to a cup win. 

Edited by ShawnAntoski

You started out, right and if I was getting riled up by your trolling, I wouldn't had bothered civilly  responding.  Anyways, thanks for the lecture and the condescending tone.  

How is it condescending? You can come up with whatever decision you want in your reflection. I'm just asking you to reflect on it.

Edited by The Lock

5 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Lots of holes in your weak points: Edmonton, doesn't have a Fleury or Fuhr on there roster - it is after all a team game and a game that relies heavily on a goalie.  Also, Fluery was the 1st OA pick.

The goalie can play a role, yes, but again it's not everything. Remember that Pittsburgh had Fleury when JR came into Pittsburgh and JR came into Pittsburgh because they weren't winning cups. Edmonton has also had goalies like Smith and Koskinen who were averaging around .920 save percentage in certain years.

Also, just talking about the goalie says nothing about what I said. If anything, much of what I said about the superstars also applies to the goalie.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

The goalie can play a role, yes, but again it's not everything. Remember that Pittsburgh had Fleury when JR came into Pittsburgh and JR came into Pittsburgh because they weren't winning cups. Edmonton has also had goalies like Smith and Koskinen who were averaging around .920 save percentage in certain years.

Also, just talking about the goalie says nothing about what I said. If anything, much of what I said about the superstars also applies to the goalie.

Pretty naive, to discount a goalies performance in the game of hockey - especially, in the game of hockey.

You seem to be running out of bullets.  Been awhile since, I engaged a troll.  

8 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Your weak points - say alot and give a rest.  Been fun - Tas/Troll

Dude. I literally said the goalie was a part of it. That's not discounting the goalies.

And now all you're saying is "weak points" and calling me a troll? You wanted a hockey conversation so I gave you a conversation. Then you clearly got frustrated when you were given point against what you were saying and couldn't provide any substance in return.

You're the one lashing out to everyone and causing things to not be hockey conversations. So yeah, been fun. I hope you learn how to debate some day.

(Also, funny how you premature mention crickets in your edit. That's going to look bad on you there buddy lol)

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Dude. I literally said the goalie was a part of it. That's not discounting the goalies.

And now all you're saying is "weak points" and calling me a troll? You wanted a hockey conversation so I gave you a conversation. Then you clearly got frustrated when you were given point against what you were saying and couldn't provide any substance in return.

You're the one lashing out to everyone and causing things to not be hockey conversations. So yeah, been fun. I hope you learn how to debate some day.

(Also, funny how you premature mention crickets in your edit. That's going to look bad on you there buddy lol)

Yeah, you call, getting lectured with a condescending tone a discussion - you must be a fun person to be around.  I civilly answered, your hockey related posts and firmly, responded to your trolling.   

Yeah, you call, getting lectured with a condescending tone a discussion - you must be a fun person to be around.  I civilly answered, your hockey related posts and firmly, responded to your trolling.   

Wasn't trolling. I was asking you honest questions and I really hope you learn to quell your anger issues that you evidently have so we can have better discussions. I get being triggered when being called out, but that's something that can be learned to work with and I hope you do learn to work with that rather than calling people trolls or childish. That's where the reflection comes in. I just want to help.

And if you think my above paragraph is condescending, that just means you're not ready to better yourself.

Anyway, I have a bed to go to and a job tomorrow morning. Seriously, I hope you learn from all of this. I mean it.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Wasn't trolling. I was asking you honest questions and I really hope you learn to quell your anger issues that you evidently have so we can have better discussions. I get being triggered when being called out, but that's something that can be learned to work with and I hope you do learn to work with that rather than calling people trolls or childish. That's where the reflection comes in. I just want to help.

And if you think my above paragraph is condescending, that just means you're not ready to better yourself.

Anyway, I have a bed to go to and a job tomorrow morning. Seriously, I hope you learn from all of this. I mean it.

Your continued, attempts to get the moral high ground, only indicates you need a lot of growing up to do.  Also, your assumption - of my anger or lack of insight, only projects who you are.  Truly enjoyed the lecturing/TROLLING, but you need to tone down the attitude cause it shows - in your words.

All the best to you and GCG ! 

Edited by ShawnAntoski

11 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Why is it I feel that if the Canucks are going to be trading Miller and Boeser, it better be Rutherford making the deal and not our actual GM, Allvin?  Does anyone else feel this way...or should I feel shame?!:(

JR probably will have some input. He did say he wanted to “mentor” a GM, so that guy is Allvin, is it not? 

I also get the sense that the team is going to trade Miller and Boeser. Well, if JR’s words are to be taken seriously and truthfully. 

Maybe Brock settles for a lot less than his QO. If he does, then something could probably be worked out. He’s only 24. Still a valuable piece.

27 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Why is it I feel that if the Canucks are going to be trading Miller and Boeser, it better be Rutherford making the deal and not our actual GM, Allvin?  Does anyone else feel this way...or should I feel shame?!:(

I hope both discuss the matter and go forward together.

JR has a lot of experiance Allvin will learn from the whole time.

5 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

To reiterate:  I am not discounting, the trophies that happened under JR (in Pitsburgh) and just like Gillis, they both inherited the core from previous regimes.  My points: Pitsburgh got there cups, by having two generational talents on there team and they acquired, there core through mulitple drafts  - under a different regime.  Of course, I understand that the main focus, was to keep winning with the Crosby core. I like what both, JR and Allvin said about focusing, on drafting & development - for now; but there record in Pittsburgh, when it comes to D&D was very similar to Gillis - when he handed the team over JB - outside, of a few pieces there was no prospect pipeline to transition to.  There is a reason, why JR [resigned] and Allvin was immediately replaced by Hextall, as GM.   Outside of what was said, in the presser, which I agree with - I am also cautiously optimistic, about the upcoming moves based on there draft & development record in Pittsburgh.  JB left them some good pieces, but the cap situation will require some creativity.  

allvin was part of that previous regime in pittsburgh, having been a big part of their hockey ops since 2006.