The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Patrik Allvin as GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Patrik Allvin as GM  

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

He played around 22 mins last night. Been playing solid hockey. Would have been called up earlier but Covid protocol. 

6'2 205lbs physical RHD.

Reminds me of Jaccob Slavin.

Good luck trying to get him from NYR.

If JR can make it happen props to him. I doubt it. 

no doubt he's a solid young prospect and should have a bright future, but I don't think he's a potential difference between making or missing the playoffs at this stage of his career. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, tas said:

no doubt he's a solid young prospect and should have a bright future, but I don't think he's a potential difference between making or missing the playoffs at this stage of his career. 

If we're trading Miller we're not trying to make playoffs. Not this season. 

JR said he wants to shed cap, get younger and gain picks.

• Cheers 1

Just now, tas said:

I just don't see it with the pieces you've mentioned. if it's miller out and chytil, schneider, lafreniere in, plus a signing of a tierney level player, that just doesn't look like a playoff team to me. especially if garland and/or boeser are also going to be gone in exchange for lesser/younger players. 

Just as much of one as we are now IMO. Does that make us a contender next year? Hell no, and I never suggested it does. But we aren't one now WITH Miller either. We need to make changes to get better.

Some of that will involve selling high, on good players that we all like, to multiply those assets and get younger, faster and cheaper. Or we can keep floating along in the mediocre status quo... IMO THAT has more risk of chasing off Horvat than what I (and presumably management) are proposing.

23 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Just as much of one as we are now IMO. Does that make us a contender next year? Hell no, and I never suggested it does. But we aren't one now WITH Miller either. We need to make changes to get better.

Some of that will involve selling high, on good players that we all like, to multiply those assets and get younger, faster and cheaper. Or we can keep floating along in the mediocre status quo... IMO THAT has more risk of chasing off Horvat than what I (and presumably management) are proposing.

my only argument really is that I don't expect bo to be willing to wait it out unless some serious "now" moves are made. 

frankly, if we're not building around the 25-28 year olds to try to win, why not just trade bo anyway instead of trying to convince him of the plan? seems like it makes more sense for both parties. he doesn't have to languish in mediocrity and the team capitalizes on his asset value before it declines. 

I'm not saying I'll be spending my $250 per year to watch the games for the next 3-5 years if that happens, but it's the smartest move if you've deemed the 23 year olds to be the age group to build around. 

49 minutes ago, tas said:

Further to my previous response. 

I do think Schneider would be a huge help for us making the playoffs next season. He's a stud top pair Dman on our team..

I'd give up Miller and Rathbone for Chytil Schneider and 1st..  

Btw I like Rathbone a lot and I was over the moon when we signed him instead of losing him to BOS as UFA if we couldn't.  Covid shutdown in college hockey helped us get him signed. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Further to my previous response. 

I do think Schneider would be a huge help for us making the playoffs next season. He's a stud top pair Dman on our team..

I'd give up Miller and Rathbone for Chytil Schneider and 1st..  

Btw I like Rathbone a lot and I was over the moon when we signed him instead of losing him to BOS as UFA if we couldn't.  Covid shutdown in college hockey helped us get him signed. 

yikes, that's a terrible deal. 

20 minutes ago, tas said:

my only argument really is that I don't expect bo to be willing to wait it out unless some serious "now" moves are made. 

frankly, if we're not building around the 25-28 year olds to try to win, why not just trade bo anyway instead of trying to convince him of the plan? seems like it makes more sense for both parties. he doesn't have to languish in mediocrity and the team capitalizes on his asset value before it declines. 

I'm not saying I'll be spending my $250 per year to watch the games for the next 3-5 years if that happens, but it's the smartest move if you've deemed the 23 year olds to be the age group to build around. 

And if he doesn't, and doesn't want to extend at reasonable terms, we'll be forced to move him too. But again, there's no guarantees here. That could happen and he goes to a contender that wins nothing and then rebuilds in 3 years. Is that better than staying here?

Because he's our 'homegrown' captain and he can still contribute to their only couple years younger window. No reason he can't be the wily vet on those teams 4-6 years from now. The team isn't going to be ALL 25-29 year olds when contending.

And we'll still need someone to play C in the interim regardless.

And again, who says we'll be 'languishing in mediocrity'? We're still likely a bubble playoff team the next couple years and then, if management's plan pays off, a consistent playoff team/contender. It's hardly purgatory.

Edited by aGENT

2 minutes ago, tas said:

yikes, that's a terrible deal. 

I think it's a great deal.

This kid is a young Jaccob Slavin. And Slavin has been one of my favorite Dmen in the NHL for years. He's definitely one of the best contracts and a beast for the Canes..

You get Schneider you're top pair is set for next 10 years with Hughes and Schneider.. 

Miller is in his prime and his next contract will be too high salary, too high cap, too long term and declining play from age.

I'd be ecstatic if we got Schneider.

EP Horvat Chytil Lammy our Cs. Finally get a stud top pair, two way physical Dman to pair with Quinn. I'd love that trade. 

• 11 months later...