The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Jan. 27, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

12 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet in the GDT or here in the PGT (and I'm not about to sift through dozens of pages to confirm), but Shorty made an incorrect statement on the air that seems to have permeated onto news reports, including Reuters.

He reported JT MIller's hat trick as a "natural hat trick".  Only problem is - the Jets scored the tying goal (1-1) before Miller had his second goal, so it's not really a natural hat trick.

I'm surprised that John Garrett didn't jump all over him about it.  :bigblush:

It’s not quite the same, but I find Shorty often/increasingly says stuff that was obviously not what happened.

‘Yeah, slap-pass from Hughes to Pearson for his second of the night!’

I’m sitting there sure I saw a direct shot go in, when in fact it deflected off the D’s shin pad but in either case was never anywhere near Pearson.

• Cheers 1

Are Shorty and Cheech even in the rink, while calling these games?

seems like sometimes they are, and others they aren't.

I'd guess they do home games in person, and away games via watching multiple screens in a studio somewhere?

I'd like them to declare every game if they are there in person, or not.

Kind of like the kerfuffle between I Mac and Sekeres- when I Mac was in the studio in Toronto- but it was being passed off like he was at the game.

12 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

2 year 1 mill aav one way deal.

He'll get that after showing so well. 

11 hours ago, sockeye said:

His current NHL salary is $800,00 according to spotrac. His contract expires June 2022. I expect that his agent will be receiving several competitive offers but I hope we can sign him as he would be a good backup option for Demko.

I doubt very much, from his 3 NHL games against some of the best teams, he will sign for the league minimum (it would be great but I doubt it).

I think you guys are jumping the gun a bit. It's only 3 games, and he's only won one NHL game at 26 years of age. He'll be back in the AHL soon so we'll see what the rest of his year looks like first. Although he played pretty well and stopped a lot of shots his technique is pretty shaky. Lots of rebounds, goalmouth scrambles and laying on there ground with no stick. I'm not so sure he's getting a bump in salary or a 2 year one way contract.

2 hours ago, Putgolzin said:

It’s not quite the same, but I find Shorty often/increasingly says stuff that was obviously not what happened.

‘Yeah, slap-pass from Hughes to Pearson for his second of the night!’

I’m sitting there sure I saw a direct shot go in, when in fact it deflected off the D’s shin pad but in either case was never anywhere near Pearson.

Yeah I notice this all the time too. I find Garrett is way worse as well. Him I blame it on being a goalie. He seems to have no perspective from the shooter's angle, or he's too busy blabbing about something else to really care. I don't think Shorthouse played hockey. It doesn't really matter to me as I still like them. I do find it funny though how they miss such obvious stuff.

• Haha 1

• -DLC- unfeatured and unpinned this topic
12 hours ago, NHTyrany said:

needs more speed, needs bigger hits

If he has speed, he will be 40 goal scorer and easily worth 8+ mil.

Hits and skating speed are related. You can't hit if you are slow.

He doesn't have the speed yet and maybe he will never have that top speed, but that doesn't mean he should be paid the league minimum like some posters seem to think. He does a lot of things well despite his weaknesses. 

I'm not against trading Boeser but we are not getting a player that shoots as well as he does while having his shot unless it's for a prospect.