The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Mid-season Report Card

Rate this topic

allegend

Patrick Johnston of the Vancouver Sun just posted his mid-season report card.

Miller, Hughes, and  Demko all got A's. Horvat and Boeser both got B's. (I would 

have given Horvat and Boeser C+'s.) EP got a C-. Thoughts?

https://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-mid-season-report-card-nothing-but-net-not-quite-but-its-close/wcm/3e867109-319c-4f1f-8b46-4ebcf612ac10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, allegend said:

Patrick Johnston of the Vancouver Sun just posted his mid-season report card.

Miller, Hughes, and  Demko all got A's. Horvat and Boeser both got B's. (I would 

have given Horvat and Boeser C+'s.) EP got a C-. Thoughts?

Canucks mid-season report card: Nothing but net? Not quite, but it’s close

• Thanks 1

To be fair the only players who have played to their expectations are:

1) Demko - not better, not worse, we knew we were getting a star goalie which is why we let Markstrom go so shouldn't be thinking he's exceeding expectations. He's exceeding his 5M cap hit though.

2) Hughes - as above, we expect him to score points and expect him to be able to defend for a top-2 or top-4 defenceman. Last year was a let-down, this year he's playing the way he should for his contract.

3) Motte, Highmore and Lammikko I think are all exceeding expectations. It could be said that Motte is playing to his expectations but the other 2 were useless pylons on their old teams and now have a critical energy line role with us and doing well.

4) Schenn is by far exceeding expectations, he was Tampa's 7th defenceman, signed for a cheap contract expecting to be our bottom pairing defenceman with Rathbone at the start of the season and he's played so well that he's a top-4 defenceman playing with our best defenceman.

5) Pearson, Hoglander and Podkolzin for me have just about met their expectations, no one expected greater than what they've produced really.

6) Myers has played to what we expect of a top-4 big strong 6M defenceman, no better no worse.

7) Miller has exceeded expectations offensively but that's about it, he still makes some bone-head plays defensively. For 5M and what we paid for him though, he's by far exceeded what we should have gotten which is a 50-60 point top-6 center/winger.

Everyone else IMO has dropped the ball and played below expectations. Petey, Brock, even Bo, OEL, Dickinson and Poolman have been below what they could be. OEL only slightly as his defensive game is still strong but we were expecting a 40 point defenceman for 6-7M. Dickinson and Poolman were scouted as good shutdown guys but they're been tragic defensively. Petey, Brock and Bo haven't quite been as offensively strong as anyone would expect (Bo maybe not so bad).

Read the article and really don't have many beefs with it.   Other then Motte getting a C+ - Think that his line has been the most consistent, and given their assignments definitely outplaying their cap hit by a massive margin.    That starts and stops with Motte, unless he's been punished for injuries ... I'd give him a B+.     There is a reason why Motte, Miller, Schenn and Garland are the players teams want .... they all meet or exceed their cap hit for their roles ... the  bigger the role, the higher the interest.  

The other part that gave me a chuckle was Myers called the "Choas Giraffe" and that he's been more Giraffe then chaos this year...funny and agree. 

• Cheers 1

A+: The goalies, Hughes

A: The new coach, Miller 

B+: Motte, Schenn

B: Garland, Myers, Burroughs

C+: Horvat, OEL (would be higher if his offence was there), Highmore

C: Boeser, Petterson, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Pearson, Poolman, Lammiko, Hunt

F: Dickinson, Chiasson, 

N/R: Dowling, Hamonic, Rathbone