The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THAT needs to be our main Jersey.

Rate this topic

TheNewGM

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

The big club could use the V logo with JCs head. It's not terrible, but I imagine many have strong opinions against it. 

vancouver-canucks-johnny-v-dark-game-on-images.jpg

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

The big club could use the V logo with JCs head. It's not terrible, but I imagine many have strong opinions against it. 

Whenever I see this rendition, it reminds me of this old Victoria business...

image.png.3e7bdd875dd016a19745dd88ed2946d8.png

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I don't think you'll ever win the majority over, but I appreciate your love and enthusiasm for the JC logo. Personally, I like it a lot as well and wish it was our identity. Maybe this year's throwback will help more fans connect with it, after they see how good it can look, but I doubt it. 

Here's the thing. I consider CDC a small fraction of the Canucks fan base. As a fan of 42 years who grew up with the V and the Skate, which I love to this very day, I started to connect with the history and legacy of Johnny Canuck just prior to the Orca's corporate cross-contamination of the Canucks' brand in '97. At first, I didn't want a human character as the primary on the Canucks' jerseys because I wanted continuity and I connected emotionally to the Skate. It was Don Taylor, when he wrote weekly columns in The Province, who convinced me otherwise. I love and appreciate our Canucks name and my love and enthusiasm for Johnny Canuck started from there.

The Canucks did the right thing by choosing the original WHL Johnny Canuck jersey as the inspiration for this season's Reverse Retro. It's going to educate the younger generations of fans and the newcomers to our city. Many, many longtime fans want a Johnny Canuck jersey and it will be a red-hot seller. I'm already saving money for mine plus extra paraphernalia. I also plan on going to the first game the JC jerseys are worn. Like a kid who can't wait for Christmas or his birthday, I can't wait.

5 hours ago, McBackup said:

I think the biggest issue is giving the modernized Johnny Canuck to the Abbotsford team, essentially forcing them to use the goofier, more dated looking "original". Now they're essentially caught between sticking with that one, or updating it again (which I don't think would be the worst thing).

The original Johnny Canuck is not goofy. It's old-school and was a product of its era. Love JC's old-style hockey skates. I wish JC was more vertically erect than slanted back a touch but that's how it was designed back then. Using the original in the green and blue as a Reverse Retro looks amazing.

I felt the same way regarding Abbotsford using the modernized JC. However, there are teams that have and currently do share the same logo with their respective farm affiliates. I also feel that the Canucks are testing the waters now that CSE finally purchased the JC trademark outright. By sharing  the same team name, "Canucks", with the AHL affiliate, it does makes sense to use Johnny Canuck. It also shows how ridiculous it is to use the Orca on the NHL Canucks brand. Remember too, Abbotsford fans wanted "Aviators" for their team name. Abbotsford is well-known for its aviation programs. Abby's JC could be changed to a pilot version as JC was also a pilot. This would cover all the bases for Abby - a logo representing their team name as well as their local identity.

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I love the creativity of the JC-V head and how it matched the previous updated Stick in Rink beautifully. My issue is that JC's head is tilted back. The skating Johnny Canuck's head is looking straight ahead unlike the V version. I also would have made JC's toque, beard and facial outline navy while limiting the royal blue to just the V.

Most objections towards it would be because of its comparison to the recently-discontinued Vachon Cakes logo.

th.jpeg-9.jpg

For a full-time Johnny Canuck NHL logo, I love the idea of using a roundel.

2018-02-12 15.29.54.jpg

Edited by Tiger-Hearted
  • Sad 2

19 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Johnny Canuck was a lumberjack as well as a pilot, farmer and soldier. The PCHL/WHL Canucks adapted the lumberjack version of JC in tribute to BC's longstanding lumber industry which, along with the fishing industry, helped build the city of Vancouver.

He started off a dimwitted dandypolitical cartoon. Which somewhat explains the attraction... :lol:

13 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Here's the thing. I consider CDC a small fraction of the Canucks fan base. As a fan of 42 years who grew up with the V and the Skate, which I love to this very day, I started to connect with the history and legacy of Johnny Canuck just prior to the Orca's corporate cross-contamination of the Canucks' brand in '97. At first, I didn't want a human character as the primary on the Canucks' jerseys because I wanted continuity and I connected emotionally to the Skate. It was Don Taylor, when he wrote weekly columns in The Province, who convinced me otherwise. I love and appreciate our Canucks name and my love and enthusiasm for Johnny Canuck started from there.

The Canucks did the right thing by choosing the original WHL Johnny Canuck jersey as the inspiration for this season's Reverse Retro. It's going to educate the younger generations of fans and the newcomers to our city. Many, many longtime fans want a Johnny Canuck jersey and it will be a red-hot seller. I'm already saving money for mine plus extra paraphernalia. I also plan on going to the first game the JC jerseys are worn. Like a kid who can't wait for Christmas or his birthday, I can't wait.

The original Johnny Canuck is not goofy. It's old-school and was a product of its era. Love JC's old-style hockey skates. I wish JC was more vertically erect than slanted back a touch but that's how it was designed back then. Using the original in the green and blue as a Reverse Retro looks amazing.

I felt the same way regarding Abbotsford using the modernized JC. However, there are teams that have and currently do share the same logo with their respective farm affiliates. I also feel that the Canucks are testing the waters now that CSE finally purchased the JC trademark outright. By sharing  the same team name, "Canucks", with the AHL affiliate, it does makes sense to use Johnny Canuck. It also shows how ridiculous it is to use the Orca on the NHL Canucks brand. Remember too, Abbotsford fans wanted "Aviators" for their team name. Abbotsford is well-known for its aviation programs. Abby's JC could be changed to a pilot version as JC was also a pilot. This would cover all the bases for Abby - a logo representing their team name as well as their local identity.

I love the creativity of the JC-V head and how it matched the previous updated Stick in Rink beautifully. My issue is that JC's head is tilted back. The skating Johnny Canuck's head is looking straight ahead unlike the V version. I also would have made JC's toque, beard and facial outline navy while limiting the royal blue to just the V.

Most objections towards it would be because of its comparison to the recently-discontinued Vachon Cakes logo.

Blah.gif.4722c0545bdd8bd175b3a9399bac0790.gif

On 9/19/2022 at 12:21 PM, Tiger-Hearted said:

th.jpeg-9.jpg

2018-02-12 15.29.54.jpg

So basically we're the Penguins except in human form....

(Also, please no)

• 3 months later...