The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Rangers | Feb. 27, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

28 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

People tend to think you can just blow through teams and once you get a lead there's no turning back.

But the other team(s) start to really press and it's not too often that it's just a breeze/walk in the park. Look what happened in the Wings/Leafs game.

I, too, am tired of the narrative that a pretty solid win isn't good enough. 

Sure, a letdown in play is a bit of a concern but as long as they win, that's what counts. They did some things right despite possibly not doing everything right.

Bruce gave them $&!# on the bench and got them back in it. I don't doubt this teams motivation if they make the playoffs. 

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Yup,

there should be not talks of trading players for futures

this is a top team with the best save percentage 

Here's the narrative that works for me:

The Canucks are among the top teams in the NHL since Boudreau's arrival because it has the best save percentage.  Demko, and to a lesser degree when compared to Demko, Miller and Hughes, have carried the team on their backs for the entire season, even when they were losing.

Allvin has subtly made comments that the standard of play of the current Canucks, whether it be in practice or in games, is lacking, so it appears that the passengers on the train are either going to be rooted out, or have to consistently elevate their commitment to winning.  The current roster of Canucks have shown that they can actually play at a high level.  The question is whether they can do it consistently over 82 games.

The manner in which the Canucks have won their last two games is really encouraging.  They've had to depend on Demko, but what team doesn't depend on their goalie when the opposing team pushes hard?  Under Boudreau, the Canucks' game management is infinitely better and I'm seeing a whole lot less of the "woe is me" attitude (to quote Boudreau) that was pervasive under Green. 

I've said this many times before...the Canucks have the cornerstone pieces in Demko and Hughes.  Miller has taken ownership of being the go-to guy up front, so as long as the rest of the crew plays as coached, the Canucks should be there competing for a playoff spot at Game 82 of the regular season.  It'll be an interesting and fun time to be a Canucks fan down the stretch, something I couldn't have said in November.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Last night was probably the worst game TH played since his return. His failing to get the puck out of the dzone three (3) times led to the first goal. Hunt is the best guy available until Poolman gets back.

And we still beat the Smelly Rags 5-2.  Maybe some fans need to accpet we actually have a good team.

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Bruce gave them $&!# on the bench and got them back in it. I don't doubt this teams motivation if they make the playoffs. 

Yeah i think the bubble experience shows how much some of the players on this team can elevate their game. 

Anything can happen with a hot goalie amd if Demko can replicate what he did in the bubble or at leaat continue how has has played thos season, i think the canucks would be a great dark horse team to pull an upset. 

Since the bubble, our bottom 6 has vastly improved. 

Miller has improved

We've added Hamonic, OEL, Garland, Podz

Petey is looking to have regained his confidence. 

If we can get Boeser going, this team will be fun to watch. 

Im hoping for a Cgy 1st round matchup. 

Get some revenge for that last time when Calgary pulled an upset on us. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah i think the bubble experience shows how much some of the players on this team can elevate their game. 

Anything can happen with a hot goalie amd if Demko can replicate what he did in the bubble or at leaat continue how has has played thos season, i think the canucks would be a great dark horse team to pull an upset. 

Miller has improved

This is why I hope they don't make trades for the sake of making trades. You have to move a pretty good player to get a pretty good player back.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

34 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Miller has improved

I don't know how anyone can watch Demko and think our window is 3 years away. For sure we need some upgrades, but a better 3C and another big mean left side dman would go a long way. I don't agree with the need to 'take a step back' ideas about this team. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

Last night was probably the worst game TH played since his return. His failing to get the puck out of the dzone three (3) times led to the first goal. Hunt is the best guy available until Poolman gets back.

Hunt has been playing LD due to the shortage on that side.  Hamonic has played 15 games this season(and just 3 since his injury), so he needs to play as much as possible to get his game going.  It's a bad decision to sit a player who is potentially

the best option for 2nd pairing RD.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I don't know how anyone can watch Demko and think our window is 3 years away. For sure we need some upgrades, but a better 3C and another big mean left side dman would go a long way. I don't agree with the need to 'take a step back' ideas about this team. 

With Petey playing 1C, and MIller filling the 2C, doesn't that make Bo our 3C?  Bo is playing a very important match-up role and taking most of the key draws in the D zone.  To me we have great center depth.  Lammiko at 4C is a dominant player.  I think we have a very good team, that (when gets evens or or better goaltending) wins at about a .700 clip.  Maybe we should keep our current players?  Or do we trade Bo for a cheaper 3C, which allows us to pay for Miller's next contract?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

With Petey playing 1C, and MIller filling the 2C, doesn't that make Bo our 3C?  Bo is playing a very important match-up role and taking most of the key draws in the D zone.  To me we have great center depth.  Lammiko at 4C is a dominant player.  I think we have a very good team, that (when gets evens or or better goaltending) wins at about a .700 clip.  Maybe we should keep our current players?  Or do we trade Bo for a cheaper 3C, which allows us to pay for Miller's next contract?

I don't think a team can have enough C depth. Just thinking how nice it would be to have a healthy Sutter in this mix right now, or someone comparable. 

I'd rather shed Pearson, Dickie, Poolman or Hamonic, and maybe Garland to upgrade the team and keep everyone else. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I don't think a team can have enough C depth. Just thinking how nice it would be to have a healthy Sutter in this mix right now, or someone comparable. 

I'd rather shed Pearson, Dickie, Poolman or Hamonic, and maybe Garland to upgrade the team and keep everyone else. 

I like that Dicky can play both center and wing; he's much like Petey and Miller that way. I wonder if Pods could be used as a center too?  He's definitely got the skills and body type to be an excellent center.  And Bruce B already trusts Pods' defensive play.  Mabye that 3C is in our system already?  

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

its a tough call, you want Demko fresh for NYI and TO at the end of the week. 

Very tough decision for sure.  The Devils have an arsenal of great shooters, whereas the Islanders, not so much.

If it were up to me, I would have the goalie coach assess Demko and if all checked out, he would play tonight.  Halak plays

plays the Islander game, then Demko back for the Leafs.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, JM_ said:

The proof is in the pudding. 

We have been a top echelon team since BB took over. I think we are something like 18-7-4

Besides Ana and NYI losses, the majority of losses came on that Florida road trip where we played  top tier teams like Tampa, Fla, Carolina while we were decimated with covid and other injuries. Even then we outplayed Tampa. We win a few of those games and they lose a couple against us, we would have been top 3 since BB took over. 

Thats why I was so choked when we went down 5-0 to NYI and Ana because it showed our guys still didnt have the work ethic to play hard evevy night when playoffs were on the line. 

I realize these guys arent machines but they really need to have a strong run leading up to tdl because their next 7 games after that are much more difficult. 

I think we have a really solid team. 

I believe some of the trials we went through this year is good in the long run. 

Petey found out how hard the game can get sometimes and worked himself out of it. That kind of experience will pay dividends when looking at the big picture of his career. 

We saw how bad special teams can get. 

If we were able to hit the lowest points in hockey and battle through that adversity and make the playoffs, this season was a smashing success. 

The Canucks next step in evolution isn't trading and getting better players. It's the experience of knowing the effort level required to be a pro in this league every game. It's more about consistently putting in a good effort every night and coming to the rink ready to play for an 82 game season. This also means practicing the right way. 

If we have enough leaders in the locker room  to do this, great. If not, I'd still be ok with making trades because we will not win a cup until team mentality and approach to every game improves. 

Im hoping that there's enough leadership in the locker room for each other to demand their best every night. 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Redline said:

No doubt he's a nice humble guy and he also looks pretty rested up and relaxed since leaving. He just wasn't ready to coach in the NHL. I still wish him luck and success.

Nice guy but a lot of his ineptitude or insecurity was masked with smugness. 

I hated his preseason roster decisions, his post game interviews, his line deployment and his systems. 

I guess pretty much everything hockey related, I hated about TG. 

There is no doubt that if we were to miss the playoffs and had to pinpoint one reason, it would be TG and Baumer... 

14 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I would keep Pearson, due to his physical play in both ends of the ice.  He also has chemistry with Miller, as he did

with Bo.  For the money, Garland is a great option as top 6RW.  His character is what is needed on this team.

Dixie and Pools' contracts would be hard to move.  Finding a young player to replace Hamonic would be difficult unless

the team trades a top player(Boeser) or can somehow acquire enough cap to buy a UFA.

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

I would keep Pearson, due to his physical play in both ends of the ice.  He also has chemistry with Miller, as he did

with Bo.  For the money, Garland is a great option as top 6RW.  His character is what is needed on this team.

Dixie and Pools' contracts would be hard to move.  Finding a young player to replace Hamonic would be difficult unless

the team trades a top player(Boeser) or can somehow acquire enough cap to buy a UFA.

If we move Boeser, do we still have two top six right wingers?  Garland and ?

25 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Very tough decision for sure.  The Devils have an arsenal of great shooters, whereas the Islanders, not so much.

If it were up to me, I would have the goalie coach assess Demko and if all checked out, he would play tonight.  Halak plays

plays the Islander game, then Demko back for the Leafs.

I would just continue playing Demko 

There was no travel required. 

He gets 2 days off after today and then plays NYI and then Toronto. 

He then gets a 3 day rest before playing Mtl. 

Demko plays better the more he plays. 

I feel like games after long breaks or games where he gets very dew shots is when he doesn't play as well. 

I would ride him until TDL and then reassess where we are at as a team. 

If this was the playoffs, he would be playing every other night. 

To us right now, this is our playoffs. 

Edited by CanucksJay

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like that Dicky can play both center and wing; he's much like Petey and Miller that way. I wonder if Pods could be used as a center too?  He's definitely got the skills and body type to be an excellent center.  And Bruce B already trusts Pods' defensive play.  Mabye that 3C is in our system already?  

Podz at C would be an interesting experiment. I wish we still had Malholtra to show him the ropes.