The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New Jersey Devils | Feb. 28, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

The thing is people are making it that ONLY Halak is to blame and that could not be further from the truth. 

There is a good chuck of blame on Halak here on almost all goals in this game letting softies will kill a teams confidence and momentum they likely play a lot better if Halak makes a few key saves and allows them rally behind him, i really think that's what most are saying is he needs to make a timely save to keep the team in it  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

You’ve literally deflected every bit of blame away from Halak. :lol:

Not even a straw man.

Nope I’ve even put his blame in on 2 of the goals that he was at fault for. All you have come back with is s*** I’ve never said as a rebuttal. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, CanucksCountry said:

There is a good chuck of blame on Halak here on almost all goals in this game letting softies will kill a teams confidence and momentum they likely play a lot better if Halak makes a few key saves and allows them rally behind him, i really think that's what most are saying is he needs to make a timely save to keep the team in it  

The first 3 were defensive lapses the 4th was on Halak. The whole team played like s***, period. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

No, this team isn’t very good especially defensively so yes they do need lights out goaltending more often than not. Luckily we do have Demko. But the team needs to figure out their play too. 

They can be much better defensively but that’s not an effort that gets you scored on 7 times with even average goaltending.

We deserved to get scored on but two of the goals needed to be stopped. Do that and 4-2 is not an impossible mountain to climb against a team like New Jersey.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Cool, and as I recall CDC was going nuts because he was playing out of his mind.

That isn't going to be your typical backup every game, also that's an incredibly small sample size from a relatively unknown goaltender. 

Just wait until Martin looks average for a couple games in a row if he does get a shot at the backup role, the knives will come out for him too. 

At this point Mikey Dipietro would give you similar performance for a fraction the cost. 

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Volume of shots doesn't account for shot quality.  A coach like Barry Trotz finds volume shooting inefficient and explains that he by far prefers 1 shot with a 40% conversion chance, than 40 shots with a 1% conversion chance.  Same approach defensively - volume shooting doesn't scare him if they keep the shots to the outside. 

No team is spending more than 81.5M for their active roster.  Players on LTIR aren't available to play but count against the cap.   That becomes true in the post-season, but teams who are not in LTIR, and can bank cap space and add players at the TDL can have rosters way beyond that. 

Vegas Golden Knights todays cap hit: $91,773,273

All this talk about Halak but no-one talking about how inept Boeser has been the past 2 games !  His play has been completely uninspiring - almost like he couldn't give a darn.  Perhaps that's his intention with the TDL looming..........

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

They can be much better defensively but that’s not an effort that gets you scored on 7 times with even average goaltending.

We deserved to get scored on but two of the goals needed to be stopped. Do that and 4-2 is not an impossible mountain to climb against a team like New Jersey.

Disagree dude. Halak wasn’t good but the team in front of him was even worse.  6-7 2 on 1’s by a 27th place team how you gloss that over is beyond ridiculous. 

5 minutes ago, hammertime said:

At this point Mikey Dipietro would give you similar performance for a fraction the cost. 

The same Michael DiPietro I've seem people repeatedly mention as someone who should be traded away? Or who's been passed by Martin?

The only thing this market likes better than a star goaltender is tearing their goaltenders down. 

We've been incredibly spoiled when it comes to goaltending since the mid 2000's. Luongo, Schneider, Miller, Markstrom, and now Demko. People gloss over just how much this team relies on it's goaltending and throw a hissy fit when their goaltenders don't play at a Vezina caliber level. Yes, Halak needs to be better, but the Canucks playing like $&!# in from of their backups has been an ongoing trend for years. This team is flawed, and typically doesn't play well in front of it's backups.

Even Martin won a single game despite playing out of his mind. Without all-star level goaltending this team looks pretty damn mediocre and that's a serious problem. Even if the fans don't see it I'm glad Rutherford does. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

The first 3 were defensive lapses the 4th was on Halak. The whole team played like s***, period. 

If one keeps the blinder on one don’t have to think about trading Miller.

Miller is almost the only tradeable asset that can give a boost. The rest of the trades aren’t. 
So it’s always the goalies fault. Unless your name is Demko and plays amasing.

Then it’s the teams ”fault” they play good.

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Disagree dude. Halak wasn’t good but the team in front of him was even worse.  6-7 2 on 1’s by a 27th place team how you gloss that over is beyond ridiculous. 

Like I’ve been saying again and again those breakdowns happen as a result of the goalie letting in everything.

Why do you think blowouts happen? It’s cause teams stop playing when they believe they have no chance. Halak gave them no belief tonight.

Edited by DeNiro

Just now, DeNiro said:

Like I’ve been saying again and again those breakdowns happens as a result of the goalie letting in everything.

Why do you think blowouts happen? It’s cause teams stop playing when they believe they have no chance. Halak gave them no belief tonight.

They didn’t deserve belief tonight. 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

sure there was a defensive lapse the caused a rush to happen but Myers played the 2on1 Perfect in taking the pass away, Halak wasn't square to Hughes and was to deep left Jack Hughes a lot of room to shoot and it's in the back of the net, on a 2on1 if there is no pass 80% of the time your goalie should be able to make the save the pass option was blocked of by Myers and Halak should be aware of that, the 2nd goal bad Turn over on Myers how ever Halak stays back door to long and never pushes up to challenge the guy into the slot once again making him small and exposing all the holes. 3rd goal no chance really how ever if i am going to nitpick Halak was late to push off to Bodquist so instead of making a quick shot it allows him to get set up, 4th goal doesn't poke check when should of and ends up in the back of the net think most here will agree that's a bad goal, 5th goal Halak is too deep once again yes it bounces off Schenn but Halak is to deep and doesn't give himself a chance to save a tip if you are that deep most goalies try and get as close as possible to the screen as it helps take away the tip, 6th goal another Brutal one and gets the Hook     

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

They deserved a chance.

Halak didn’t give that to them.

No they didn’t 7 2 on 1’s allowed. Against a bottom feeder, that is god damn pathetic and Halak isn’t the one giving up 2 on 1’s, the team is. They deserved this s*** tonight. 

17 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The same Michael DiPietro I've seem people repeatedly mention as someone who should be traded away? Or who's been passed by Martin?

The only thing this market likes better than a star goaltender is tearing their goaltenders down. 

We've been incredibly spoiled when it comes to goaltending since the mid 2000's. Luongo, Schneider, Miller, Markstrom, and now Demko. People gloss over just how much this team relies on it's goaltending and throw a hissy fit when their goaltenders don't play at a Vezina caliber level. Yes, Halak needs to be better, but the Canucks playing like $&!# in from of their backups has been an ongoing trend for years. This team is flawed, and typically doesn't play well in front of it's backups.

Even Martin won a single game despite playing out of his mind. Without all-star level goaltending this team looks pretty damn mediocre and that's serious problem. Even if the fans don't see it I'm glad Rutherford does. 

OH this I completely agree with and you will get no argument from me. 

Remind me how Halak is spoiling us? Tho....

Edited by hammertime

13 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Where did he say that? 

You're right he didn't he couldn't he wouldn't because Halak has been truly atrocious. 

The  team hasn't been good either but when you pay 3 million for 10 games the expectation is to stop more pucks than a backup making league min. 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

No they didn’t 7 2 on 1’s allowed. Against a bottom feeder, that is god damn pathetic and Halak isn’t the one giving up 2 on 1’s, the team is. They deserved this s*** tonight. 

2 on 1’s aren’t automatic goals.

Most of them were played well. Halak was brutal at challenging the shooter all game.

Team most likely would have tightened up and bared down had the game been close after one. Their confidence was shot being down 3 after 1.