The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Toronto Maple Leafs | Mar. 05, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

Is there a quote or link that states this? I listened to his interview on Wednesday on SN650 and he never said anything about resigning in Vancouver. Only said that he is focusing on the here and now, helping this team make the playoffs. Here is the clip https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/peoples-show/hour-2-jt-miller-keeping-his-options-open/

Could you source the confirmation he wants to stay? Would really change people's outlook of wanting to trade him if he is committed to sign here. Cheers

https://theprovince.com/sports/canucks-j-t-miller-loves-vancouver-never-asked-for-trade-says-agent

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

We have a "grass is always greener" membership in our fanbase that always feels that there's something better that you can just upgrade with. It's like a kid at Christmas anticipating the presents under the tree....but you might get socks.

We have some really great pieces (building blocks is right) in place and you RISK losing some of that as you tear it apart. We've just gone through that to some degree with Marky and Tanev...but we did have Demko and so that was a big part of it. We don't have a back up Miller.

People have the shiny new toy syndrome and expect that whatever comes our way is awesome and foolproof. We're starting to see that some of what we already have is worth focusing on.

It's almost like talking about trades has become more a matter of expecting immediate upgrades and future wins. A formula that guarantees success, but it's not realistic.  That's a big "if".

this organization cannot let an asset as valuable as Miller walk for nothing at the end of this contract

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Although they're not showing up on the scoresheet every game, I've noticed a distinct improvement with Pods and Hogs compete levels since they each got a game in the press box. I think they were both picturing themselves as finesse players, and Bruce informed them that they're both muckers with some skill. I wonder if Bruce could have saved Virtanen's career with a similar touch. I doubt it; I don't think he's smart enough to grasp the concept and too lazy to put in the work every night.

Very well said.

Except the Jake part because there were seemingly character issues and it wasn't a matter of just learning on ice, it was beyond that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I've repeatedly heard from Ranger fans that Schneider is indeed off the table, which should take them out of the running for Miller (assuming we were still open to moving Miller at the TDL, which I doubt), barring a package that includes multiple 1st rd picks or something insane like Laf, Chytil, Lundqvist and a 1st.

Really, I just think people need to qccept the fact that Miller isn't going anywhere in the short term. Next deadline is the only point I see him being moved, and that's only if management isn't convinced he'll be willing to stay. They're going to give themselves every chance they can to get him resigned imo.

I highly doubt Schneider is untouchable.  Not like he's Cole Makar

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

Why does Miller's agent say, JT "has loved" Vancouver?  That's past tense.  Why not say JT LOVES Vancouver?  Present tense.  Why not say JT is looking forward to negotiating his next contract to stay in Vancouver?  Future tense.  But no, the agent speaks like JT is already gone.  Past tense.

Edited by Alflives

21 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

It'd have to be massive and, even then, how do you fill that hole in the here and now?

Any deal would be aimed more toward "future" but do you sacrifice what you're building to risk starting from scratch and TRYING to find someone to fill his role? The team identify and culture is being established THROUGH him.

Again, there's a reason we'd be getting a can't pass up deal and that would be someone recognizing his worth. I hope it's our organization that does.

agreed, it would have to be a "can't pass it up" if they are still in the playoff hunt. 

19 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

It'd have to be massive and, even then, how do you fill that hole in the here and now?

Any deal would be aimed more toward "future" but do you sacrifice what you're building to risk starting from scratch and TRYING to find someone to fill his role? The team identify and culture is being established THROUGH him.

Again, there's a reason we'd be getting a can't pass up a deal, and that would be someone recognizing his worth. I hope it's our organization that does.

The stupidest thing management could do trade Miller IF the playoffs are a possibility. It's been evident for a while that JT is our best, most consistent player. Night in and night out, he's driving the bus, he makes everyone he plays with better. Pearson's passion is palpable lately when just a month ago, he was going through the motions most nights. Miller's passion is rubbing off on those around him. I agree with Juice; Miller is untouchable; he is the kind of guy you cannot replace. You keep him and try to resign him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Boeser's pass out front to Matthews was horrendous. Terrible decision, he had a guy behind the net he could've passed it to or shot it around the boards. That's Hockey 101 - Never pass the puck in front of your goalie.  Matthews celebrating in the Leafs huddle, says "Nice pass" jokingly.

Luckily, Marner's soccer kick also assisted on Chiasson's goal.

Miller is going nowhere this season. 

Maybe Boeser, Motte and Halak, though

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, BPA said:

If Canucks continues winning, maybe JR/PA becomes buyers.  Go get that D depth.

That’s a fair statement. I’m so sick of seeing all the Sportsnet articles that include Oilers in context of playoffs, like “Who are Flames, Leafs and Oilers going after for the playoffs” or https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/how-improved-defence-from-top-stars-could-propel-leafs-oilers-in-playoffs/

Newsflash, we are now two points behind the mighty Oilers. Sure they have a game in hand, but we have all the momentum. Canucks have been on a mighty mission, and if we were probably any other Canadian market, except for maybe Ottawa, we’d be getting a whole lot more respect from the sports media for what we’ve already accomplished since BB came aboard. Instead though, they keep reporting about how Leafs should scoop Miller up. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Boeser's pass out front to Matthews was horrendous. Terrible decision, he had a guy behind the net he could've passed it to or shot it around the boards. That's Hockey 101 - Never pass the puck in front of your goalie.  Matthews celebrating in the Leafs huddle, says "Nice pass" jokingly.

Luckily, Marner's soccer kick also assisted on Chiasson's goal.

Miller is going nowhere this season. 

Maybe Boeser, Motte and Halak, though

Leafs are very careless with the puck, if they play a tight checking team in the playoffs it’s over for them. 

• Vintage 2

30 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

We have a "grass is always greener" membership in our fanbase that always feels that there's something better that you can just upgrade with. It's like a kid at Christmas anticipating the presents under the tree....but you might get socks.

We have some really great pieces (building blocks is right) in place and you RISK losing some of that as you tear it apart. We've just gone through that to some degree with Marky and Tanev...but we did have Demko and so that was a big part of it. We don't have a back up Miller.

People have the shiny new toy syndrome and expect that whatever comes our way is awesome and foolproof. We're starting to see that some of what we already have is worth focusing on.

It's almost like talking about trades has become more a matter of expecting immediate upgrades and future wins. A formula that guarantees success, but it's not realistic.  That's a big "if".

Like you DLC, I'm a big Miller fan, maybe even moreso. I think, right now he is as important to the team as Petey, Quinn and Demko; again, that's right now, and I don't think we let him go. I know this is unpopular to a lot of fans, but I'd trade Bo for a great return and make Miller Captain. Waiting for the negative feedback.

6 minutes ago, FijianCanuck said:

Leafs are very careless with the puck, if they play a tight checking team in the playoffs it’s over for them. 

Yeah, watching CGY vs COL last night, it's a whole other level of difficulty once playoffs begin. Canucks have a good team, but they need some upgrades on D. Maybe they trade Boeser for a Dman and actually make a playoff push? 

Leafs aren't doing anything this year without goaltending. Same with EDM.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

this organization cannot let an asset as valuable as Miller walk for nothing at the end of this contract

I don't this new management team, unlike Benning, lets good players go with no return (Toffoli, Tanev, Markstrom). 

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

no one knows that he'll stay and he certainly hasn't done much to quell those feelings.  In my opinion, he's gone unless Vancouver is willing to absolutely break the bank to keep him and giving an aging/declining player a massive portion of the cap over a long duration is a death sentence for the Cup hopes of the organization.

It's going to be a difficult decision when the time comes. I don't think it's right now.