The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Brock Boeser, Tucker Poolman, 4th round pick 2022 for John Marino, Kaspari Kapanen, Filip Hallander

To Pittsburgh: Brock Boeser, Tucker Poolman, a 4th round pick

To Vancouver: John Marino, Kaspari Kapanen, Filip Hallander

Why?

• Pittsburgh insiders, reporters and bloggers have discussed at length how the Pens #1 need is a reliable winger for Geno Malkin. Boeser fits the exact type of player who benefit from riding Geno's coattails and potentially put up big goal totals. He put up 11 points in 17 games during Vancouver's last playoff run
  • In a compilation of team's 'most likely asset to be moved' done by The Athletic by each team's local reporters, Yohe reported that Kapanen is the Pens #1 most likely asset to be moved - calling him a 'disaster' this season
  • While Marino seems like an unlikely asset to be move from over here in Vancouver, Rob Rossi and Josh Yohe stated the following in the summer "Defenseman John Marino’s standing appears less firm with the Hextall/Burke regime than it was Rutherford. Multiple league sources and a team source have said the Penguins are willing to part with Marino for the right price."
  • From a Vancouver perspective, Marino is exactly the age and type of defenseman they'd like to pair with Quinn Hughes long-term. And the regime that was high on Marino? Well, they now run Vancouver
  • While Kapanen is having a tough run - 1 goal in 18 games at the time of this writing - he also has all the tools to be a great power forward, and has shown it before in the NHL. He put up 30 points in 40 games last year, and his two seasons before that were both over .5 PPG paces, including a 20 goal season in Toronto. Watching him when he's on, it's clear he uses his large frame to win battles and overpower defenseman as he rushes in. It's possible that Boudreau could help him re-find his confidence. Not to mention, Rutherford drafted and then traded for Kaspari . He also had his father Sami in his organization for years from Hartford to Carolina, including a cup run. It's no secret Rutherford is stoked on the Kappy family.
  • Whether Canucks fans like it or not, John Shannon has reported that Boeser is the top of their trade list, behind Jaro Halak (take it for what it's worth...lol)
  • While the Tucker Poolman contract at 4 years seemed laughable, it's now really a 3 year/7.5m deal. He is averaging 2-3 mins less per game than Marino right now, but he could eat up a big swatch of Marino's minutes, incl. on the PK. Pittsburgh has had a # of defensemen step up this year, and combined with the acquisition of Poolman would miss Marino of course, but the effect would be dampened.
  • Filip Hallander was a 2018 second round pick by Allvin and Rutherford. He came to NA this year stating he would take a roster spot in Pittsburgh - this has not happened yet and he's scoring at about a .5 PPG pace on a pretty bad Wilkes Barre team. He will continue to be waiver exempt next season, and fits into the Canucks' age bracket of making a run. Abbotsford is 1 spot out of the playoffs, and Hallander would give them some cavalry down the stretch. Hextall gets a future-oriented asset (a 4th round pick) for another player the Rutherford regime may be higher on than him and Burkey.
  • This is a hockey trade that fills holes for both teams, Pittsburgh is up against the cap and will need to be creative to add a goal scoring winger to ride shotgun with Malkin. I think this is one way of doing it. Pittsburgh downgrades somewhat on defense but adds a sniper, while Vancouver downgrades up front but adds the type of player they are rumoured to want the most. Boeser and Marino are both top quality. Kapanen and Poolman both have questionable contracts. Hallander is unlikely to crack their roster but was drafted by Allvin and could find a home in Vancouver.
  • Capfriendly says this works cap wise if the Canucks send one player down (likely Rempal but I'd prefer Chiasson ;)).
Edited by Teemu Selänne

not super sexy names but fills many gaps in our organization such as speed, grit (Kapanen), RHD on decent contract (Marino), moves out a bad contract (poolman) and gives us more organizational C depth (Hallnder) I think this is a very realistic move and because it solves a bunch of issues we gain a type of flexibility 

• Cheers 1

I like it, but the only problem is I don't think Marino would be traded without a comparable RHD replacement going the other way.  I can't see the Penguins walking into the Playoffs with Poolman as their 2nd pairing RHD lol

• Cheers 2

This makes sense, first trade with a team they are very familiar with. Not the team I want to see Brock go to as he could light it up with Sid but the hope would be that Marino is a great fit to partner with Hughes and Kapanen would bring speed and PK ability not sure what he will command on his next deal though...

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I like it, but the only problem is I don't think Marino would be traded without a comparable RHD replacement going the other way.  I can't see the Penguins walking into the Playoffs with Poolman as their 2nd pairing RHD lol

they are getting Brock Boeser to play top line minutes, you have to give up something

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

they are getting Brock Boeser to play top line minutes, you have to give up something

You do, but not if it means it leaves a wide open hole on your RHD.  Right now they have Letang and Marino covering the 2 Top 4 spots on RHD.  To take one of them away and hope to make it deep into the playoffs using Poolman as your second RHD would be foolish. 

In other words, it makes more sense to keep Marino (a 24yo Top 4 RHD locked in at a very reasonable $4.4M for the next 5 years).

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

You do, but not if it means it leaves a wide open hole on your RHD.  Right now they have Letang and Marino covering the 2 Top 4 spots on RHD.  To take one of them away and hope to make it deep into the playoffs using Poolman as your second RHD would be foolish. 

In other words, it makes more sense to keep Marino (a 24yo Top 4 RHD locked in at a very reasonable $4.4M for the next 5 years).

we could send them Hamonic lol instead

2 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

we could send them Hamonic lol instead

lol, I thought about that... but man, I look at their cap situation next year, and I don't see how they can keep Malkin, Letang, and Rust.  Something needs to give there unless Malkin and Letang take serious discounts. 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Definitely - while Matheson is a LHD he has experience playing the right-hand side and has stated he's comfortable there; he's slated to return before the deadline. I would assume a top-4 of Dumoulin, Letang, Pettersson and Matheson as the 5-on-5 top-4 with PO Joseph stepping in when needed as he has (has been playing 17-20 mins a night when dressed), and Poolman playing in the top-4 as far as PK goes. A bottom 5-on-5 pairing of Joseph - Poolman or Friedman - Poolman would be my guess (if this happened lol).

Edited by Teemu Selänne

25 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Would be nice, but I doubt PIT gives up Marino.

I can imagine a Boeser for Kapanen+ trade though. 

It's definitely the biggest question mark in the deal, but also they'll have to clear cap to bring in someone close to Boeser's skill set, and they'll have few to choose from. This is one way without extremely changing the line-up IMO.

9 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Definitely - while Matheson is a LHD he has experience playing the right-hand side and has stated he's comfortable there; he's slated to return before the deadline. I would assume a top-4 of Dumoulin, Letang, Pettersson and Matheson as the 5-on-5 top-4 with PO Joseph stepping in when needed as he has (has been playing 17-20 mins a night when dressed), and Poolman playing in the top-4 as far as PK goes. A bottom 5-on-5 pairing of Joseph - Poolman or Friedman - Poolman would be my guess (if this happened lol).

7 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

It's definitely the biggest question mark in the deal, but also they'll have to clear cap to bring in someone close to Boeser's skill set, and they'll have few to choose from. This is one way without extremely changing the line-up IMO.

I dunno what Pittsburgh plans to do... this trade doesn't save them any cap at all, so I'm not sure if this is the route they want to go, or something else.  You'd think if a RHD of Marino's calibre became available, and at that great cap hit, there'd be many other teams lined up for a trade.  It'd make sense of the Pens to get a much cheaper option on the wing to save cap for Rust.

1 hour ago, Teemu Selänne said:

It's sounding like any Boeser trade will need to have a good, young Dman coming back. So, I would think that if they traded with PIT, Marino would have to come back?  Or maybe it's (LD) Pierre-Olivier Joseph.

possibly Kapanen and POJ for Boeser

Kapanen does fit the mould of what they're looking for. Young-ish (25), skilled and fast.  He's also much cheaper than Boeser.  He'd probably produce pretty well on Miller's wing.

Garland - Miller - Kapanen

Hoglander - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Pearson - Horvat - Chiasson

Highmore - Lammikko - Motte

Dickinson

I could see a deal like this in the off season. As mentioned above the Pens aren't trading a top 4 rhd and replace with Poolman heading into the playoffs even if there's a sizable upgrade at wing. Unless they had another deal lined up before the deadline. Also Letang is a ufa. He would need to be signed before trading Marino. Cant lose your top 2 rhd heading into next season. Do like the deal though and the targets. Wouldn't mind POJ as well. I think he would be better suited for the bottom pair than Rathbone with Hughes and Oel ahead. 

• Cheers 1