The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Armchair GM this offseason

26 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Can't see NJD including McLeod in that trade for Boeser. Probably Zacha + 2nd will be all you get for Brock's rights due to his QO.

McLeod has not developed as they had thought he would.  He doesn't play C

anymore and he only play 3RW because they have so few righties.

I am assuming that Brock only gets traded if he has a signed contract.

26 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Hogs + Rathbone + 1st seems very steep for Crouse. Maybe leave out Rathbone. Or change the 1st to a 3rd. Just spit balling here...

Imo, Crouse is going to be a beast.  He's playing on a terrible team, but is steadily improving. 

Don't know if you saw him when he played the Nucks, but he is very tough to play against. 

I don't think he is traded if that 1st isn't there, as he was a 1st for the Coyotes.  If they do

the trade for Bones or Hogs, all the better!   Nobody would roll over Pete again!!!!!

Edited by higgyfan
  • Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Imo, Crouse is going to be a beast.  He's playing on a terrible team, but is steadily improving. 

Don't know if you saw him when he played the Nucks, but he is very tough to play against. 

I don't think he is traded if that 1st isn't there, as he was a 1st for the Coyotes.  If they do

the trade for Bones or Hogs, all the better!   Nobody would roll over Pete again!!!!!

Agree on Crouse. I have wanted him on this team for quite a while. 

Maybe if we could add Poolman or Dickinson, then I'd do that trade with ARI for Crouse, e.g. HogsDickBone+1st :lol: 

• Cheers 1

I hate to give up 1st round pick.

Myers is valuable. If we wish to trade him, the return is not too back.

In other hand, we need how to handle Poolman and OEL contracts.

Garland is good, but he always give-up.

I like to have Karlsson and Sevenson in the line-up.

• Cheers 1

As much as we need to create cap space and trade some players, we can't attach 1st rd picks to do so. It's not a good recipe especially where the team is at right now. Also Myers has some value. Big rhd are coveted even though he is over paid and he only has a couple years left on his contract. I wanted to see Oel go to Boston, even if Van retained a little, as they were looking for a top 4lhd but picked up Lindholm. So instead of Oel and Miller, Myers and Miller to Boston. As much as I want to keep Miller, he will want a max contract and we cant afford to give that. Miller can take the pressure off of Bergeron and become the #1 centre.

Miller, Myers for Carlo, Debrusk, Studnicka +

Mgmt want to get faster and younger therefore I could see Boeser and Pearson moving on. 

Boeser, Schenn for Marino, Kapanen

Pearson for pick

I would be ok with attaching a 3rd to Poolman and Dickinson. They're overpaid but not anchors and are servicable. Send to Arizona as they will need to reach the floor.

Sign Kuzmenko 

Kuzmenko Petey Pods

Debrusk Bo Garls

Hogs Studnicka Kap

Lockwood Lamm High

Hughes Carlo

Oel Marino

Dermott Juulsen

Rathbone 

Demko 

Martin

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Tbh Myers actually has trade value based on his play this year and the rarity of the position he plays
He's likely worth a mid draft pick. I think we unload him if we can sign Manson for 4 - 4.5/year. Manson won't bring Myers' offense, but he'll play a better stay at home defensive game. 
The Poolman contract isnt going anywhere, so we might as well accept him as our bottom pairing RHD. 

OEL's contract isn't going anywhere unless he has a Myers-style resurgence, which he has the best chance of doing if we give him a stay at home partner. 

Karlsson tied Petey's SHL scoring record, I expect he should be able to crack the canucks lineup this coming year and be good value for us on an ELC. 

Sign Trocheck for 5m/year. 
Re-sign Kapanen after the trade for 3m/year

My ideal moves:

1. Myers out for a 3rd or 4th, Sign Manson at 4.5m/year
2. Boeser & Rathbone to Pittsburgh for Marino and Kapanen
3. Sign Karlsson to an ELC
4. Re-sign Highmore and Lammikko at 1m/year each
5. Sign Vincent Trocheck for 5m/year
6. Sign Spencer Martin for a league minimum deal as Demko's backup
7. Bury Dickinson in minors and recoup 1.6m in cap space

- Vastly improved center depth 
- Trocheck, Manson, Marino improve the penalty kill dramatically
- Kapanen is much faster than Boeser and will help our off-the-rush play style
- Petey gets quality linemates
- Defense goes from one of the worst in the league, to one of the best

Pearson-Miller-Garland
Kapanen-Petey-Podz
Trocheck-Horvat-Hogs
Karlsson-Lammiko-Highmore

Hughes-Marino
OEL-Manson
Dermott-Poolman
*Schenn, Burroughs

This all looks tidy - Manson might command more and will have a ton of interest from most teams in the middle of the pack with flexible assets like us (contenders not as much - they are already backed up to cap walls much worse then we are - because of the NMC/NTC's on players of interest to other teams)....maybe WSH or PIT could make it work ... or Boston or who knows but at that price i think Manson ends up on a better team - we'd need to be ok paying more then that likely.   Wanted Manson for years .... but can see why ANA would have no interest in trading him to a team in our division as well.    Other then that well thought out and inventive.   I think Linus is playing second tier Swedish - same as Dahlen did and EP played one year before moving up ...

• Cheers 2

Sounds like OEL and Petey are playing hurt, but they're still in the hunt so they'll play. If the Canucks lose games down the stretch until they're pretty much done, they might shut OEL and Petey down, and give opportunities to guys like Rathbone and Lockwood, etc. They might also cut back on Demko starting games, and let Halak play more. 

If they do this stealth tank, they could possibly end up with a slightly higher pick. 

If I had to choose between Horvat and Miller being re-signed, I would choose Miller, even though he's a couple of years older. He's the glue that keeps the team together, and he produces way more than anyone else on the team. 

Remember when Boeser was a fun lovin' dude with the flo?  Brock doesn't seem too happy these days, and I'm hoping it was just the stress of the TDL affecting his game. Maybe now that it's over, he can get back to firing rockets into nets. Getting that smile and swagger back.

Petey is a very good player, but I'm wondering if he'll ever be great. Coach Boudreau and even Allvin said that the players need to prepare themselves in practice etc., and be ready for games. Pettersson needs to spend his off season in the gym, not boating and relaxing with friends. I wouldn't be opposed to trading him if the return was another good top 6C under 25.

• Cheers 3

This TDL was pretty boring, as a Canucks fan. They made very minimal moves, only got rid of a bit of cap. Is this because it was this management's first real deadline?  Were they overly cautious because of this being the first "war room" situation, dipping their toes so to speak? 

From what I've heard JR likes to make trades, lots of them, so I was surprised with what little happened, but being Allvin's first kick at the cat, they were conservative.  I expect them to be a lot more aggressive in the off season with a clear plan in place.

Canucks missed the 1st Round in the last two Drafts, and have no high end prospects. It would be great to get one of the top players from those Drafts - Holtz, Lundell, Mercer, Schneider, Mukhamadullin, Othmann, Lysell, etc.

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

This TDL was pretty boring, as a Canucks fan. They made very minimal moves, only got rid of a bit of cap. Is this because it was this management's first real deadline?  Were they overly cautious because of this being the first "war room" situation, dipping their toes so to speak? 

From what I've heard JR likes to make trades, lots of them, so I was surprised with what little happened, but being Allvin's first kick at the cat, they were conservative.  I expect them to be a lot more aggressive in the off season with a clear plan in place.

Canucks missed the 1st Round in the last two Drafts, and have no high end prospects. It would be great to get one of the top players from those Drafts - Holtz, Lundell, Mercer, Schneider, Mukhamadullin, Othmann, Lysell, etc.

I think they have had to focus on maximizing returns on trades, because the cupboards are so empty. We have basically only have 2 really quality prospects that look like locks to make the NHL (Rathbone and Martin). Also being so up against the cap, they really cant afford to make a mistake. 

I do think the offseason is where they make more aggressive moves - it sounds like they had asked Pearson if he was open to waiving his NTC, and had shopped Myers. Once Myers' NTC changes to a 10 team NTC, it should be easier to trade him. 

I expect they'll move Pearson and Myers without salary retained. 
If they can move Dickinson, they will, but I think it's likely he gets buried in the minors instead. 
Poolman likely stays as the bottom pairing RHD. 

I still suspect they end up moving Boeser too. 

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I think they have had to focus on maximizing returns on trades, because the cupboards are so empty. We have basically only have 2 really quality prospects that look like locks to make the NHL (Rathbone and Martin). Also being so up against the cap, they really cant afford to make a mistake. 

I do think the offseason is where they make more aggressive moves - it sounds like they had asked Pearson if he was open to waiving his NTC, and had shopped Myers. Once Myers' NTC changes to a 10 team NTC, it should be easier to trade him. 

I expect they'll move Pearson and Myers without salary retained. 
If they can move Dickinson, they will, but I think it's likely he gets buried in the minors instead. 
Poolman likely stays as the bottom pairing RHD. 

I still suspect they end up moving Boeser too. 

Yeah, I don't think it will be hard to find a trade for Myers.  Both the Coyotes and Kraken need

a mid-pairing RD, and have plenty of salary cap to take him.  The problem will be more at

the Canucks end, as Tyler place a huge toi and there's nobody (at the moment) who can

replace him.

I agree about Brock, but they will need to sign him to an appropriate contract; which will

take time.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Yeah, I don't think it will be hard to find a trade for Myers.  Both the Coyotes and Kraken need

a mid-pairing RD, and have plenty of salary cap to take him.  The problem will be more at

the Canucks end, as Tyler place a huge toi and there's nobody (at the moment) who can

replace him.

I agree about Brock, but they will need to sign him to an appropriate contract; which will

take time.

Totally agree.

I think we can replace Myers if we sign Manson when he becomes a UFA

Use Brock to go after another top 4 rhd.

Any thoughts on pursuing Laine out of CBJ as a potential winger for EP?

I realize he is streaky and arrogant, but perhaps he might be a great fit?

He’s due a new contract next season and is RFA.

The ask would probably be ridiculous and involve a real sacrifice however.

I’m just going to throw this out there:

Boeser

Garland

Myers

Rathbone 

2022 2nd 

2023 4th

for

Laine

Texier 

Gavrikov

2023 3rd

This likely wouldn’t be enough on our end for CBJ and I assume they would want a 1st involved, and perhaps just not a good enough package coming back for us either (especially as D is not addressed as we would like).

Laine and Miller to re-sign would be a headache, but this affords some cap room for just that. It really cuts into our F group though. 

anyway wanted to hear thoughts on this or CBJ as a trading partner. They do have some decent D, and many folks would like Boqvist but I thought I’d just propose something different.

44 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Any thoughts on pursuing Laine out of CBJ as a potential winger for EP?

I realize he is streaky and arrogant, but perhaps he might be a great fit?

He’s due a new contract next season and is RFA.

The ask would probably be ridiculous and involve a real sacrifice however.

I’m just going to throw this out there:

Boeser

Garland

Myers

Rathbone 

2022 2nd 

2023 4th

for

Laine

Texier 

Gavrikov

2023 3rd

This likely wouldn’t be enough on our end for CBJ and I assume they would want a 1st involved, and perhaps just not a good enough package coming back for us either (especially as D is not addressed as we would like).

Laine and Miller to re-sign would be a headache, but this affords some cap room for just that. It really cuts into our F group though. 

anyway wanted to hear thoughts on this or CBJ as a trading partner. They do have some decent D, and many folks would like Boqvist but I thought I’d just propose something different.

I would love to see Laine next to Petey for the next 10 years. Although he is going to get paid this summer. Laine and Millers contracts are going to be very similar I feel, 9 mill plus. Miller would have to go the other way and goes home. CBJ are also looking for a #1 centre. If we could get rid of Oel in another deal Gavrikov would be perfect as part of a shut down pair. CBJ is quit high on him though. CBJ has Bean so can't see them interested in Rathbone. I've always liked Bodqvist. Bring some offense from the right side. 

Something around Miller, Boeser for Laine, Gavrikov.... 

Like some of your ideas and targets though. Cheers.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Boknows08 said:

I would love to see Laine next to Petey for the next 10 years. Although he is going to get paid this summer. Laine and Millers contracts are going to be very similar I feel, 9 mill plus. Miller would have to go the other way and goes home. CBJ are also looking for a #1 centre. If we could get rid of Oel in another deal Gavrikov would be perfect as part of a shut down pair. CBJ is quit high on him though. CBJ has Bean so can't see them interested in Rathbone. I've always liked Bodqvist. Bring some offense from the right side. 

Something around Miller, Boeser for Laine, Gavrikov.... 

Like some of your ideas and targets though. Cheers.

Yeah totally, I think Laine would be an ideal winger for EP to take their careers to next level. Laine has both great size and speed, and can finish. Just think it’s a good match, with both really complimentary to each other. I say all this even though I kind of dislike Laine to begin with, hah.

I agree with you, Miller would likely be the trade chip from our end. Definitely seems as though there’s potential between the two clubs. 

I think if we sent Miller and Boeser we could fetch a really good return, potentially even truly balancing out our D for once and picking up a young elite winger to help massage the loss of JTM.

thanks for the comments.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

It's clear we need some more size and pushback if we want to win in playoffs.

Off season trades:

To ANA: Boeser (RFA rights)

To VAN: 2022 1st round pick (from BOS)

To DAL: Myers

To VAN: 2022 4th round pick

To NJD: Garland

To VAN: Severson

To ARI: Dickinson + 2022 1st round pick (from BOS) + 2022 3rd round pick

To VAN: Crouse

Sign UFAs:

Nichushkin 6m x 7

Manson 5m x 5

E Kane 5m x 3

Crouse 3m x 5

Deslauriers 1.6m x 3

Waive Poolman

2022-23 Lineup:

Pearson-Miller-Kane

Nichushkin-Pettersson-Podz

Crouse-Horvat-Hogs

Highmore-Lammikko-Deslauriers

(Lockwood)

OEL-Severson

Hughes-Manson

Dermott-Schenn

(Rathbone-Burroughs)

Demko (Martin)

In 2023-24, no change in lineup, try to trade Poolman if he hasn't been claimed yet. Resign:

Miller 9m x 7

Horvat 6.5m x 7

Severson 5m x 5

Hogs 2.5m x 3

Dermott 1.5m x 3

• Cheers 1

On 3/22/2022 at 4:41 PM, eeeeergh said:

Honestly I think there is a reasonable approach, people are mostly falling on the side of the "total rebuild" out of post benning trauma. People are worried if we don't blow it all up and rebuild, we'll end up repeating the decade following 2011. But it's actually a completely different situation now, because in spite of Benning's horrible asset management, he actually drafted well. 

Compare the core's ages (I think Salo at 37 vs OEL at 30 kind of illustrates the striking difference between these two rosters):

2012:
Henrik- 31
Daniel- 31
Burrows- 30
Kesler- 27
Edler- 25
Luongo- 30
Bieksa- 30

2022:
Miller- 28
Hughes- 22
Petey- 23
Horvat- 26
Boeser- 24
Garland-25
Demko- 26

Its a night and day difference. Most of our core hasn't even hit their prime yet. In about 3 years, this core should hit their peak in terms of young players hitting their potential, and being before the older players start declining. 

Imo JR/PA's strategy of "retooling" makes total sense when you're dealing with a young team like ours. It would take us another decade if we blew it up now and tried to rebuild a young core again.

One thing that makes us look significantly worse than this core actually is, is the fact that we simply dont have enough quality defensemen. Downgrading our foreward core a bit, and bolstering our defense will make a big difference in our competitiveness. 

This why they could just do some minor tweaks NOT sell any bad cap as we need those guys coming in again,  and see how things go.   We do need another top four D .... in the best world OEL Myers would be our third pairing....the difference between those two teams is this one is younger for sure ... and we should expect core ascension.  IF Brock for example, broke we'd actually be doing quite a bit better.   Our top 9 could be killer,  Demko should also get better....consistency is an issue as is our D and our current cap.   If we draft well things could work out - and make at least one roster change that works out in our favour.   Otherwise i fear the best we can hope for, as far as contending again goes, is when EP and QHs are in their early 30's late 20's and only IF we've tanked enough to re-set things properly. It's hockey and a lot could happen.   

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

This why they could just do some minor tweaks NOT sell any bad cap as we need those guys coming in again,  and see how things go.   We do need another top four D .... in the best world OEL Myers would be our third pairing....the difference between those two teams is this one is younger for sure ... and we should expect core ascension.  IF Brock for example, broke we'd actually be doing quite a bit better.   Our top 9 could be killer,  Demko should also get better....consistency is an issue as is our D and our current cap.   If we draft well things could work out - and make at least one roster change that works out in our favour.   Otherwise i fear the best we can hope for, as far as contending again goes, is when EP and QHs are in their early 30's late 20's and only IF we've tanked enough to re-set things properly. It's hockey and a lot could happen.   

I agree with all of that tbh. I dont think we actually have much bad cap at all. Myers is of course overpaid and unfortunately not the mold of what we need on the right side - we need a more defensive minded stay at home guy. Good news with that is we can move Myers and get a stay at home defenseman - they are both cheaper and easier to find than two-way guys like Myers. That should save us about 1.5m if we move Myers and sign someone like Manson. 
OEL has generally looked good to me, considering he's playing the most and the hardest minutes. If we give him a stay at home partner, it'll free him up to contribute more offensively too. I think we've all noticed he rarely takes risks in the O-zone anymore, but back in his glory days, he'd join the rush and that's how he'd get a lot of his points. Would be nice to have someone cover for him. 

Dermott-Poolman pairing is a perfectly reasonable third pairing, and not overpaid as a pair. Happy with that.
It would be good to get someone faster than Schenn to play with Hughes next year, we probably have to downgrade one of our forwards to make that happen.

I think the team is a couple of defensemen, and 1 middle 6 forward away from going for it.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

I agree with all of that tbh. I dont think we actually have much bad cap at all. Myers is of course overpaid and unfortunately not the mold of what we need on the right side - we need a more defensive minded stay at home guy. Good news with that is we can move Myers and get a stay at home defenseman - they are both cheaper and easier to find than two-way guys like Myers. That should save us about 1.5m if we move Myers and sign someone like Manson. 
OEL has generally looked good to me, considering he's playing the most and the hardest minutes. If we give him a stay at home partner, it'll free him up to contribute more offensively too. I think we've all noticed he rarely takes risks in the O-zone anymore, but back in his glory days, he'd join the rush and that's how he'd get a lot of his points. Would be nice to have someone cover for him. 

Dermott-Poolman pairing is a perfectly reasonable third pairing, and not overpaid as a pair. Happy with that.
It would be good to get someone faster than Schenn to play with Hughes next year, we probably have to downgrade one of our forwards to make that happen.

I think the team is a couple of defensemen, and 1 middle 6 forward away from going for it.

If i had to hazard a guess, methinks OEL has a groin issue. He's looked much slower and without torque but his balance/shifting still seems ok.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, RWJC said:

If i had to hazard a guess, methinks OEL has a groin issue. He's looked much slower and without torque but his balance/shifting still seems ok.

Agreed. I think if he maintains his form that he had early in the season for us though, I'd be very happy with that

Step 1 has to be to clear cap.

Trade Poolman and Dickinson to a bottom feeder for our 2022 4th and 2023 2nd and b prospect. Its going to be painful to move these guys but better to be done with it now. Creates 5.15 in cap. If we can't trade them, then waivers and hopefully someone takes them for free or if not, save 2 mil in cap. 

Trade Garland for a 1st  Clears another 4.95 mil.

That leaves us with 19.3 to 22.4 mil to re-sign Boeser, add some size to the F group, add a backup goalie.

Targets:

Deslaurier for the 4th line - 1.5 to 1.7 mil 

Nick Paul for 3rd line C/W- 3 mil 

Trade the 1st and Hoglander to AZ for Crouse, re-sign him for 5 mil. 

That leaves at least 9.6 mil and as much as 12.7 mil  to re-sign Boeser, bring in a backup and one more F spot. Maybe bring Richardson back if he wasn't league min.

Podz-Petey-Brock

Crouse-Bo-Miller

Pearson-Paul-Lockwood

Deslaurier-Lammikko-Richardson 

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Myers

Rathbone-Dermott

Demko

Martin

Edited by JM_
  • Like 1

They have decisions to make, and it could be these. My choices underlined, with approx salaries

Miller ($9) or Horvat ($7)

OEL ($7.25) or Myers ($6)

Boeser ($7) or Garland ($5)

...added to: Pettersson, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lammikko, Highmore, Lockwood, Hughes, Dermott, Schenn, Burroughs, Rathbone and Demko.

I think Pearson, Dickinson and Poolman will also be traded. 

Edited by NUCKER67