The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JT Miller Watch...Climbing the Ladder...

Rate this topic

Kevin Biestra

36 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ronning was is one of my all-time favourite Canucks.    Miller passing him is quite the feet really.    Miller with a few more multi point games down the home stretch has a decent shot at catching Bertuzzi.   That's really something and quite the accomplishment.   Bertuzzi was an absolute beast at his peak with us.   I do expect him to enter the elite company, of just a handful of guys we've had, that breaks the 90 point barrier....

Yeah Ronning is for sure one of my all time favorite Canucks, top ten for sure I'd say and I have made a moderate case before for him in the Ring of Honour.  Aside from the glaring omission in my books King Richard, I have Ronning as part of the next tier of candidates with Boudrias, Lidster, Lever, Williams, Gino, etc.

I always thought two statues outside the rink of Williams and Ronning riding their sticks side by side would look pretty good.

And I've always been inclined to do a little more to honor Ivan Hlinka as one of the first Czechs in the NHL, given his participation in the 1982 run plus his international legendary standing.  That was another trade I forgot about when it came to trading the future to get over the hump in the present in 1982.  The Canucks really did a major Benning in that regard, betting huge on the present without a lot of indication that the time was now - Brent Ashton and a pick for Ivan Hlinka, Rick Vaive and Bill Derlago for Tiger Williams - without that cup run it would have been a disaster giving away those three players...all had great futures ahead of them.  Ashton had something like ten 20 goal seasons and hit 40 one year.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

On 3/26/2022 at 9:36 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

With JT Miller's 80th point tonight he matches Trevor Linden's career best and enters a pretty elite club of all time Canucks in a single season.  How far up the ladder can he climb?

81 points to match Rota

85 points to match Ronning

86 points to match Gradin and Tanti

88 points to match Smyl

91 points to match Sundstrom

97 points to match Bertuzzi

He's already in the pantheon of Canucks greats, already surpassed the peak points of Petri Skriko, Geoff Courtnall, Don Lever, Ryan Kesler, Andre Boudrias and Barry Pederson.

Andre Boudrias - 78 points - surpassed

Petri Skriko - 78 points - surpassed

Geoff Courtnall - 77 points - surpassed

Barry Pederson - 76 points - surpassed

Greg Adams - 76 points - surpassed

Ryan Kesler - 75 points - surpassed

Ivan Boldirev - 73 points - surpassed

Dennis Ververgaert - 71 points - surpassed

Brendan Morrison - 71 points - surpassed

Petr Nedved - 71 points - surpassed

Bobby Schmautz - 71 points - surpassed

Don Lever - 68 points - surpassed

Rick Blight - 68 points - surpassed

Martin Gelinas - 68 points - surpassed

Curt Fraser - 67 points - surpassed

Mike Walton - 66 points - surpassed

Igor Larionov - 65 points - surpassed

Russ Courtnall - 65 points - surpassed

Ivan Hlinka - 63 points - surpassed

Tiger Williams - 62 points - surpassed

Chris Oddleifson - 62 points - surpassed

Orland Kurtenbach - 61 points - surpassed

Bald thing that skated leisurely circles between the blue lines at center ice - 60 points - surpassed

He's coming for those names...

You missed burrows on your list of 60 point getters! 

• Vintage 1

22 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah Ronning is for sure one of my all time favorite Canucks, top ten for sure I'd say and I have made a moderate case before for him in the Ring of Honour.  Aside from the glaring omission in my books King Richard, I have Ronning as part of the next tier of candidates with Boudrias, Lidster, Lever, Williams, Gino, etc.

I always thought two statues outside the rink of Williams and Ronning riding their sticks side by side would look pretty good.

And I've always been inclined to do a little more to honor Ivan Hlinka as one of the first Czechs in the NHL, given his participation in the 1982 run plus his international legendary standing.  That was another trade I forgot about when it came to trading the future to get over the hump in the present in 1982.  The Canucks really did a major Benning in that regard, betting huge on the present without a lot of indication that the time was now - Brent Ashton and a pick for Ivan Hlinka, Rick Vaive and Bill Derlago for Tiger Williams - without that cup run it would have been a disaster giving away those three players...all had great futures ahead of them.  Ashton had something like ten 20 goal seasons and hit 40 one year.

Looks like Miller quietly tied Ronning last night .... Next up coming soon ...  The way our PP has been clicking,  Miller's odds of catching Bertuzzi have gone from slim-modest- to not bad 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Looks like Miller quietly tied Ronning last night .... Next up coming soon ...  The way our PP has been clicking,  Miller's odds of catching Bertuzzi have gone from slim-modest- to not bad 

Yeah once you get to Cliff it's a nice little run of Canucks legends if you get three more points.  Then once you shoot for 90 and above it's like the death zone of Everest or K2.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah once you get to Cliff it's a nice little run of Canucks legends if you get three more points.  Then once you shoot for 90 and above it's like the death zone of Everest or K2.

No doubt.    100 would surely be something but probably too much to ask for - a 3-4 point game would sure go far on the quest though.   10 games ... 15 points... not a ridiculous ask given some of his point streaks this season.    I'd be happy if he tied Bertuzzi.   That was one monster season by him.   

• Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, IBatch said:

No doubt.    100 would surely be something but probably too much to ask for - a 3-4 point game would sure go far on the quest though.   10 games ... 15 points... not a ridiculous ask given some of his point streaks this season.    I'd be happy if he tied Bertuzzi.   That was one monster season by him.   

For sure.  Bert may have actually had my vote for the Hart that year.  I think I had him ahead of Naslund anyway...about 7 points difference or something with Bert's added physicality.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

On 3/27/2022 at 11:07 AM, justathought said:

Garland reminds me of Cliff. They both take beatings and keep getting up and preform at top speed. Pat Q used to say Cliff R would be black and blue after a game. He had a ton of respect for him.

He does remind me of Ronning in being small tenacious and elusive with the puck, but Ronning was a much better scorer and player

Ronning was not only black and blue, but played game 7 with a broken hand (gutsy but how that would limit his game)

I hope Garland stays, unless the return for him is too great

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

He does remind me of Ronning in being small tenacious and elusive with the puck, but Ronning was a much better scorer and player

Ronning was not only black and blue, but played game 7 with a broken hand (gutsy but how that would limit his game)

I hope Garland stays, unless the return for him is too great

Yeah I sometimes wonder if a washed up Jimmy Carson or a rookie Mike Peca might have been more effective than a broken Ronning.

3 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah I sometimes wonder if a washed up Jimmy Carson or a rookie Mike Peca might have been more effective than a broken Ronning.

Ronning broke it in that game 7 so he was the right guy to start the game over Carson or Peca

Unfortunately the history of Bad Canuck luck (Injuries, lottery picks ,travel, refs, league rulings never help us) had our best player out injured in that one too

Ronning had this to say of that game

"You don't know this, but Trevor Linden had cracked ribs and torn rib cartilage for the last four games of the 1994 Stanley Cup Final," Cliff Ronning said. "You can't imagine what it's like to hear your captain, in a room down the hall, screaming at the top of his lungs as they injected the needle into his rib cage. Knowing him, he probably thought we couldn't hear. He would then walk into our dressing room like nothing had happened. That was inspirational."

Ronning was remembering Linden dropping his right shoulder into Brian Leetch, pushing the defenseman to the side and scoring on Mike Richter to make the score 2-1 Rangers in Game 7 of the Final. Linden couldn't will his team to victory that night, despite his two goals, in the deciding 3-2 loss.

"I broke my hand in that game," Ronning recalled. "But how do I say I can't play when there's a guy who has played four games with broken ribs and torn cartilage and he's dropping his shoulder into guys to make plays?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Ronning broke it in that game 7 so he was the right guy to start the game over Carson or Peca

Unfortunately the history of Bad Canuck luck (Injuries, lottery picks ,travel, refs, league rulings never help us) had our best player out injured in that one too

Ronning had this to say of that game

"You don't know this, but Trevor Linden had cracked ribs and torn rib cartilage for the last four games of the 1994 Stanley Cup Final," Cliff Ronning said. "You can't imagine what it's like to hear your captain, in a room down the hall, screaming at the top of his lungs as they injected the needle into his rib cage. Knowing him, he probably thought we couldn't hear. He would then walk into our dressing room like nothing had happened. That was inspirational."

Ronning was remembering Linden dropping his right shoulder into Brian Leetch, pushing the defenseman to the side and scoring on Mike Richter to make the score 2-1 Rangers in Game 7 of the Final. Linden couldn't will his team to victory that night, despite his two goals, in the deciding 3-2 loss.

"I broke my hand in that game," Ronning recalled. "But how do I say I can't play when there's a guy who has played four games with broken ribs and torn cartilage and he's dropping his shoulder into guys to make plays?

Yeah, but Bure getting away with his elbow in 1994 was enough good luck for me to not complain too much.

On 3/27/2022 at 8:05 AM, EddieVedder said:

Why do fans care so much about individual stats?   The only thing they matters is winning and getting into the playoffs.  I could not care less who scoring and how much.

Why even bother being here then.  Watch either the last game the Canucks play in the playoffs to see if they win the cup or see who wins the cup. 

So no sense posting with that kind of attitude.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 3/27/2022 at 7:05 AM, EddieVedder said:

Why do fans care so much about individual stats?   The only thing they matters is winning and getting into the playoffs.  I could not care less who scoring and how much.

Dude. Part of the whole aspect of being a fan of one's home team; Our Canucks, is to immerse oneself into everything about it. The ups, the downs, players; past, present and future, coach, management, The 2 Johns, Jim and Larscheid, and on and on. We care 'cuz we're passionate. Back to topic..........

.....Yea. It's great that we have someone on our team that we can be excited about again. To cheer for and to hold close to our home cheering hearts. That being said. it'd be sh#tty to lose him!

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 4/8/2022 at 5:16 AM, IBatch said:

Done.  What's next? :P

• Cheers 1

"Miller Time" with FIVE assists. Becomes one of a few select Canucks players to get 5 assists in a game. Just one assist off from Patrik Sundstrom's club record. Miller also cracked the 60-assist mark and became just the second North American-born Canuck, Todd Bertuzzi being the other, to crack 90 points. If he gets moved, Rutherford and GM Alvin better get a king's ransom in return.

Edited by Tiger-Hearted
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

"Miller Time" with FIVE assists. Becomes one of a few select Canucks players to get 5 assists in a game. Just one assist off from Patrik Sundstrom's club record. Miller also cracked the 60-assist mark and became just the second Canadian-born Canuck, Todd Bertuzzi being the other, to crack 90 points. If he gets moved, Rutherford and GM Alvin better get a king's ransom in return.

JT Miller is American.

• 2 weeks later...